Camera and photo editing

Hey everyone. I have decided to carry more than just my point and shoot camera while in the field. It's a big weight gain but worth it to me to better capture the memories. I picked up a cannon eos rebel xti with a 18-50mm objective and a 75-300mm. It was at the top of my rather low price range. I am now looking for input on digital photo editing software to clean up and really make my photos stand out! Any ideas?

I've used Lightroom 4 and like it a lot. My father-in-law taught me how to use it (amateur photographer with a couple small commercial sales) but there are plenty of resource online (e.g. YouTube) if you want to learn it. There's a learning curve, so I joined a photography club that meets monthly. I have no experience with Photoshop. Actually, the latest version of Lightroom is Lightroom 5.

With your camera and sensor size, you'll be able to get noticeably better results if you learn Lightroom or Photoshop.

That's an APS-C sensor, right? That's what I have in my NEX-6 and it's plenty good enough for backcountry photography. With good glass you'll be super happy with what you can do in Lightroom (or comparable software).

Matt,

Here's an example of a photo edited in Lightroom 4. This is my 4-Man Tipi and buddy Mark in the Gore Range. Shot the pic in RAW and then used a graduated filter to expose the sky (stars). I shoot JPEG and RAW simultaneously, and the JPEG shows about 1/2 the detail shown in this developed picture. The in-camera software just can't do the same job.

I got a mirrorless camera for the same reasons you purchased your Canon. Just wanted some decent pics from my trips. With new smaller, full-frame cameras coming out on the market, I may eventually move up to a full frame sensor. For now, the little APS-C camera is good enough for me.

Cheers,
Eric

DSC01319_zps95a89915.jpg

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I run Photoshop Elements, and plan to add Lightroom for RAW processing soon. Your camera is capable of publishable work. There are some great resources out there for learning photography and post processing on your own.

Hoyts n Mulies

Lil-Rokslider
You'll do well with your current setup. I shot Canon for several years and really liked them. One diamond in the rough lens you should check out is the "nifty fifty". It can be had for under $100 and is a fixed 50mm F1.8 lens. If you stop it down to F2.8 it will quickly be come your favorite non-wide angle lense for scenery and it works awesome for trophy shots.

I also second Lightroom. For photo editing and picture cataloging it's tough to beat for the price. I ran PS CS5 for a while but it's stupid expensive for the hobby photographer and to be honest I only used it for a few specific processes. Once you get some good software, stop shooting in JPEG format and switch to RAW format exclusively. When you start editing JPEG's you instantly decrease the quality of the file whereas RAW will give you a lot more room in your edits. Feel free to PM me if you want some links to some good sites with a lot of information for you.

Enjoy your new toy!

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
I am also running a Sony NEX6, lightroom 5 and photo shop. I use to have my own digital production company doing multi media shows and trade show prints. still have the 50" plotter that I should get running again....

anyway get out and shoot a lot and take a note pad to take notes as you change settings and play around. Post what you shoot so we can all enjoy!

tuffcity

WKR
Lightroom is a great program- learning curve can be rather steep though! lol Make sure you set up to shoot at least raw, probably raw and jpg. Also, don't cheap out on memory cards. Get the fastest you can.

RC

coOverwatch

Lil-Rokslider
RAW is a file type like .TIFF, JPEG. there is no compression or "finalization" done on the data. think of it like a negative like when you are shooting film.

tuffcity

WKR
Your camera can be set up to shoot RAW and jpg, and if you are going to use lightroom to photo edit it does a better job with RAW files. Take the time to learn the manual functions on the camera- your end product will be soooo much better. The biggest travesty is people who shell out the bucks for a decent DSLR then set it to auto and expect miracles.

Shoot lots!

RC

Thanks for explaining what shooting in the Raw meant! I've been freezing the last few days taking pictures with my shirt off, lol