Calling predators

ChrisA

WKR
A search on the predator and varmint hunting forum will yield some info.

Call cross wind from where you think the predators are, stay still, sit in front of something to break your outline, start the stand at lower volume incase there's one close by, move every 15 to 20 minutes when calling coyotes but stay for 45 minutes or longer for bobcat.

Its helpful to locate coyotes before sunrise then come back and set up in those areas.

When you are done with a stand, rise slowly and be ready to shoot incase one is coming in late.

Experience is your friend, don't get discouraged as its not uncommon to call ten stands with no luck. Also, finding a successful mentor to ride with a few times will cut the learning curve.

Chris

ephul

Lil-Rokslider
One thing I learned with coyote calling when I got into it, the volume does not need to be as loud as what you think. When I started, I'd blare the call thinking I gotta reach out as far as possible!

I then went with a guy that is an expert, and was amazed at how "low" his call was. It shocked me. If I was doing the volume at an 8 or so, he was probably a 4 or 5... Maybe.

They'll hear it. It's just a matter if they feel like coming in to it!

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
One thing I learned with coyote calling when I got into it, the volume does not need to be as loud as what you think. When I started, I'd blare the call thinking I gotta reach out as far as possible!

I then went with a guy that is an expert, and was amazed at how "low" his call was. It shocked me. If I was doing the volume at an 8 or so, he was probably a 4 or 5... Maybe.

They'll hear it. It's just a matter if they feel like coming in to it!

Less noise will kill way more coyotes.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
Okay. Thanks! That’s probably my main problem. I jacked the volume way up thinking that would give a good chance of being heard. Thanks! Also, what are your favorite calls for coyotes?

Kinda depends on the area and how hard they've been hunted. In northeast Wyoming they've had war waged on them for years and you have to be on your A game, in the Oklahoma panhandle you can crank a dieing cottontail call and kill them with a fly swatter most places. The beauty of a fox pro is all the calls you have to work with. What all is in the area? Are you hunting a wooded creek bottom? I've called in coyotes with a raccoon fighting call in river bottom cottonwood stands. Open or rolling fields? Coon fight probably won't work there. Some packs are more aggressive than others and looking for a fight (coming in to challenge calls and even had then come in to lion in heat calls) and some are more wary. Less is often more. Especially with bobcats. All it takes sometimes is a quiet mouse squeak and/or ground bird calls and patience. Lot's of patience. Calling in a bobcat is kinda like calling in a mute turkey across a fence.

I have been doing a decent amount of coyote hunting lately. I didn't have much luck this year with distress sounds so I have been mainly using vocals.

I start off with a howl at full volume. 3 times in the last week I have seen coyotes respond immediately and come running. 2 were @800 yards, 1 @300 yards, and 1 @200 yards. When I do use distress I have been starting off at 30%-40% volume.

My thoughts are if I can hear a coyote howling over a mile away they must be pretty loud. So I play all vocals at max volume. Distress I start low and gradually bring the sound up throughout the stand if I use distress sounds.

I had a double coming in the other day. The sound stopped and they held up around 250 yards. I played a mouse sound @35% volume and they instantly heard it and came in. I could barely hear it. They have extremely good hearing.

A search on the predator and varmint hunting forum will yield some info.

Call cross wind from where you think the predators are, stay still, sit in front of something to break your outline, start the stand at lower volume incase there's one close by, move every 15 to 20 minutes when calling coyotes but stay for 45 minutes or longer for bobcat.

Its helpful to locate coyotes before sunrise then come back and set up in those areas.

When you are done with a stand, rise slowly and be ready to shoot incase one is coming in late.

Experience is your friend, don't get discouraged as its not uncommon to call ten stands with no luck. Also, finding a successful mentor to ride with a few times will cut the learning curve.

Chris
Awesome info!

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Kinda depends on the area and how hard they've been hunted. In northeast Wyoming they've had war waged on them for years and you have to be on your A game, in the Oklahoma panhandle you can crank a dieing cottontail call and kill them with a fly swatter most places. The beauty of a fox pro is all the calls you have to work with. What all is in the area? Are you hunting a wooded creek bottom? I've called in coyotes with a raccoon fighting call in river bottom cottonwood stands. Open or rolling fields? Coon fight probably won't work there. Some packs are more aggressive than others and looking for a fight (coming in to challenge calls and even had then come in to lion in heat calls) and some are more wary. Less is often more. Especially with bobcats. All it takes sometimes is a quiet mouse squeak and/or ground bird calls and patience. Lot's of patience. Calling in a bobcat is kinda like calling in a mute turkey across a fence.
Okay. I live in southeast vt (not much farmland around me), and I have a few 50-60 yard food plots behind our house where I’ve seen 3 different cats. That is one set I’m thinking of. Then, about 250-300 yards up a little hog back trail, there is a big set of ledges I was thinking of setting up in.
Predator hunting where I am kinda intimidates me in that it looks way more challenging than places such as in the Midwest or New York. Everything is wooded over and very hilly, I don’t know where I’d set up to see all that I would need to. A climber would probably make too much noise for any predator.
In my area of vt there are basically no rabbits. What else would work for dogs, or would their instinct kick in and tell them to go check it out? I know coyotes are pretty wary. I’ve heard cats aren’t as wary, but you need to use caution.
I’m also afraid of overcalling. And using a set too frequently. I’ve heard that using a set repeatedly is good for cats, but terrible for dogs.
Dying rabbit is probably not the best for cats, correct? Too big prey?
Thanks for your patience.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Alright: Just went up to a bunch of ledges and called for 45 minutes targeting cats. I ended up using foxpro’s woodpecker-sparrow distress call and ended up calling in an owl. On my way into that set I busted out a cat who headed perpendicular to me full bore straight up the ledges on top. I never got a shot off because my gun has an extremely small and light round and I would have been shooting through a bunch of tree tops as he was above me. The round is also very small and I did not feel like tracking a cat with an extremely small hole straight up a steep bank. Will that cat be back, or will he not come back anytime soon?

after that whole set I moved down to our 60 yard plot and called with bay-bee cottontail 2. Nothing came to that. I don’t have many sets, how many sets are good for a day usually?

Alright: Just went up to a bunch of ledges and called for 45 minutes targeting cats. I ended up using foxpro’s woodpecker-sparrow distress call and ended up calling in an owl. On my way into that set I busted out a cat who headed perpendicular to me full bore straight up the ledges on top. I never got a shot off because my gun has an extremely small and light round and I would have been shooting through a bunch of tree tops as he was above me. The round is also very small and I did not feel like tracking a cat with an extremely small hole straight up a steep bank. Will that cat be back, or will he not come back anytime soon?

after that whole set I moved down to our 60 yard plot and called with bay-bee cottontail 2. Nothing came to that. I don’t have many sets, how many sets are good for a day usually?
I usually give a set a few hours and if nothing seems to be going on I'll move. If I work one early in the morning sometimes I'll come back in the evening and work it again. Some people may have a more exact method. I really don't so I have to go off what I know. I'm not familiar with VT terrain or laws. You say you don't have rabbits but that's ok. There are other prey species I'm sure. Chipmunks or something maybe. Calling in an owl means you're on the right track. Can you use bird wings or anything where you're at as a decoy for visual stimuli? Sometimes just a turkey feather hanging from a string on a bush is enough to keep you from getting busted.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
I usually give a set a few hours and if nothing seems to be going on I'll move. If I work one early in the morning sometimes I'll come back in the evening and work it again. Some people may have a more exact method. I really don't so I have to go off what I know. I'm not familiar with VT terrain or laws. You say you don't have rabbits but that's ok. There are other prey species I'm sure. Chipmunks or something maybe. Calling in an owl means you're on the right track. Can you use bird wings or anything where you're at as a decoy for visual stimuli? Sometimes just a turkey feather hanging from a string on a bush is enough to keep you from getting busted.
Okay. I will put up a turkey feather. I bet dying squirrel would maybe work.
Thanks for all the tips!

Just today I saw a yote crossing a field he hit a ditch I knew he was headed to a pine thicket. I set up on the other side and started calling maybe 200 yards from the pines still took him almost 30 mins to finally make his way. Coyotes around me don’t come running in like you see on tv I try to wait at least 45 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cats forget a lot faster than dogs. I'd give it some time then go back. I spooked a big one a little over a week ago. And I'm going to for sure keep hitting the spot until that cat rides my backpack out.

OP
Vermont Hunter 34
Just today I saw a yote crossing a field he hit a ditch I knew he was headed to a pine thicket. I set up on the other side and started calling maybe 200 yards from the pines still took him almost 30 mins to finally make his way. Coyotes around me don’t come running in like you see on tv I try to wait at least 45 mins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neat! I’ll set for longer for coyotes. Thanks for the info!
Cats forget a lot faster than dogs. I'd give it some time then go back. I spooked a big one a little over a week ago. And I'm going to for sure keep hitting the spot until that cat rides my backpack out.
Ah. Great info. Today was the last day of cat season, so I’ll use all this info January 10 (unless the anti’s screw cat hunting up by then) when season opens back up. In the meantime I’ll call some coyotes! Thanks.