Calling Elk in October

MtTxOr

FNG
Hello Rokslide Community,
First time poster here and decided to join after lurking for several years. I am hoping to get some advice from the elk experts on this great site for my upcoming hunt.
I have an Idaho bull elk rifle tag that starts on Oct 1. I know that this time of the year the bulls are still vocal. In past years hunting this unit we have had bulls bugling. We have used some location bugles to pinpoint them and then tried to work in on them. But, we have never setup and tried to call a bull in after archery season. What are everyone's thoughts on setting up and trying cow calling or some other calling sequences during this time?
I appreciate any advice you can give.

VO2Max

FNG
If you are finding them with location bugles, great! The whole "using a cow call" thing to bring them in is rather arbitrary. Meaning, if he answers a location bugle, how did he answer? Aggressive, non-aggressive? IF he answers a cow call, how did he answer? Aggressive, non-aggressive? If he sounds defensive, only two reasons for him to be that way... he has a hot cow or he doesn't like you in his area. Play on that. React to how he reacts to you. Give him what he wants. What you may want to do is buy The Elk Nut app and study the hell out of it. The education I have received from Paul Medel has helped me get on a bunch of elk that I otherwise would not have without a doubt. Good luck! I'll be in ID chasing bulls 10/10 with a rifle and will definitely be bringing my bugle.

Erik

OP
M

MtTxOr

FNG
Thank you for the input and recommendations. I will check out the Elk Nut app and learn what I can. Good luck to you on your hunt.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

If they are bugling I’d go right back at him with a bugle.
I always try to mimic what they are doing.

sneaky

"DADDY"
With a rifle you don't have to call them in to archery range. I have a rifle tag that starts on 10/1 as well. All I need is to have them in sight. The rest will take care of itself with a rifle.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

If I had a rifle, I think I'd be biased towards using calls to locate and keep tabs on while you maneuver for a shot. Calling him in would be cool, but I think the risk of blowing it and him rolling county doesn't make it worth it.

cpalm9

Lil-Rokslider
FWIW, I just had 2 6x6 bulls calling back at me 2 weekends ago. They haven't been shot at yet since MT rifle opener isn't until this weekend but it was cool to see how fired up they were.

OP
M

MtTxOr

FNG
We just got back from our hunt. Great time, but unfortunately unsuccessful. Poor weather and bad luck were too much to overcome.
We did have a few bulls bugling on their own and responding to us. But they definitely did not want to come in to either bull or cow calling the couple times we tried this.
We were able to have almost have a chance with a bull that was bugling as he was moving up the mountain in the morning. But elk can walk up a hill much faster than I can run.
Thank you to everyone for your input. Good luck on your hunts.

custis

FNG
A
We just got back from our hunt. Great time, but unfortunately unsuccessful. Poor weather and bad luck were too much to overcome.
We did have a few bulls bugling on their own and responding to us. But they definitely did not want to come in to either bull or cow calling the couple times we tried this.
We were able to have almost have a chance with a bull that was bugling as he was moving up the mountain in the morning. But elk can walk up a hill much faster than I can run.
Thank you to everyone for your input. Good luck on your hunts.
nd they’re not even trying to hurry up that hill!