Calling all Toyota aficionados

You’ll probably need to go have the kids sit in a couple of them. I have a 2008 double cab. The backseat in it is actually pretty good size. The backseat and a crew max is absolutely enormous.

I bought a double cab because I want the 6 1/2 foot bed. Don’t worry about whether they have CarPlay or not. It’s super easy to add a new head unit that has CarPlay if that’s an issue, which it is really nice to have.

The 5.7 is an awesome engine. I usually get between 14 and 17 miles per gallon with mine depending on how fast I’m going. It is great, has the transmission cooler, and towing our camper will get about 8 to 9 miles per gallon. Get the bigger take if you can. Mine has the 26 gallon, and I routinely have to take extra cans of gas on hunting trips off the grid.

I bought mine in 2020 with 84,000 miles on it. I just hit 145k this week. The only thing I’ve done to it is just routine maintenance items. Fluid flushes, new brakes, new shocks. Everything else works exactly like it should.

Last edited:

GLB

WKR
I have a 2018 Tundra and it has been great.

Attachments

• IMG_0123.jpeg
    IMG_0123.jpeg
    427.9 KB · Views: 29
I was looking at the specs for the '18 1794, and did I read right that you can get with a 38 gallon tank? That would be awesome for long trips out west.

lungpuncher1

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had a ‘17 and currently own a ‘21. I like the 21 better. They did some tuning fixes sometime around ‘20 and my ‘21 gets better fuel mileage. They both have 35s.

Not to mention the ‘21 has the CarPlay, adaptive cruise control and generally nicer features.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me crazy, but I'm not a big fan of the adaptive cruise. One feature I appreciate on my Ram is being able to choose either standard or adaptive from the steering wheel. The adaptive is kind of a nice "set it and forget it" for interstate, but I can't count how many times I've rolled behind somebody in the right lane 5 or more mph under my cruise setting before realizing they're going slow. Our 460 and previous Toyotas had it, but it would be nice if they gave you the option.

Burnsie

Lil-Rokslider
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since we are talking Tundras. I have been eyeing a local 2015 Crew Max SR5 for about a week, and I'm tempted to snag it before its gone. The mileage has me a little hesitant, but all the information I read on how great the 5.7 engine is has me thinking it is still a good option.
It has 110,000 miles, really clean, and tires are basically new - they have it listed at $26,500.
Good deal? Expect to get 250,000 with proper maintenance?
How common are the Cam tower oil leaks, and water pump leaks problems? They come up in most any discussion of the 5.7.

Last edited:
Not wanting to hijack this thread, but since were are talking Tundras. I have been eyeing a local 2015 Crew Max SR5 for about a week, and I'm tempted to snag it before its gone. The mileage has me a little hesitant, but all the information I read on how great the 5.7 engine is has me thinking it is still a good option.
It has 110,000 miles, really clean, and tires are basically new - they have it listed at $26,500.
Good deal? Expect to get 250,000 with proper maintenance?
How common are the Cam tower oil leaks, and water pump leaks problems? They come up in most any discussion of the 5.7.

We bought my wife's '08 Sequoia a few years ago with 180k (same 5.7L engine). It had a good service history at the dealer and was a really clean truck. I figured it'd go 280k, and probably more. We have had zero issues after putting 40k on it.

If the price was right and you think the truck was regularly serviced, I wouldn't hesitate at 110k. I see you're in Illinois, be sure to inspect the frame for rust.

mtnwkr

FNG
I've had a 2008 5.7 for 8 years, now at 165,000 miles. Never a problem, just sucks on gas. I only drive it once every week or two but every time I do I'm reminded how great of a truck it is. Uber reliable, powerful and comfortable. I plan to buy another in the 2018-2021 year range in the next couple years.

Cady Creek

Lil-Rokslider
2019 with 95,000 trouble free miles so far. Been a great truck. You'll love the back seat space if the 5.5 box isn't a deal breaker. Everything you hear about mileage is true, I get 15 on a good day. Came from a 14' Ram that spent too much time in the shop from 80-100K miles.
1708355643428.jpeg

1708355674815.jpeg

Sunkmanitou

Lil-Rokslider
I own a 1794- Crewmax with all the bells and whistles. Very roomy and very smooth ride. Not a big fan of the leather color but in the 1794 edition there is no choice of color. Everyone who gets in the truck comments about how roomy the cabin is. I bought it with the TRD off road package and in 2021 we did the white rim trail in Utah, stock truck with no modification to the truck. No problems so far even with many rough trails since then.
The bad part is the payload which is really low with the 1794. Before you buy look at the door frame sticker for the payload. Also the large cab makes the bed really short at 5.5 feet. I get an average of 12-13 miles and when I am pulling a Lance trailer I get around 8-9 miles per gallon. If you are considering a Tundra I assume you are aware of the gas mileage. I have crossed the Vail pass with the trailer in tow multiple times and been to Glacier NP, Jasper and Banff and never felt the truck under powered. However, If I buy another truck it will be a 3/4 ton diesel so I can pull a bigger, heavier trailer.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I bought a lower mile 2016 double cab with the 38gal tank last year. Surprisingly it still has decent room in the back seat. I'm 6'6" and it will sit four comfortably. Bed size is all relative.....to what you're used to, and what you need to haul. I have a 23 year old F-350 with the crew cab and 8 foot bed......so I'm used to a lot of space both in the cab and the bed. But quite frankly, if/when I ever get rid of the F-350......I'll need to get a trailer for the Tundra because even the 6.5 foot bed is too small in many cases, and payload is low comparably.

So I'd look at both CC and DC and see which one fits your family better, then you can always get a trailer if you need more space for hauling.

CorbLand

WKR
Call me crazy, but I'm not a big fan of the adaptive cruise. One feature I appreciate on my Ram is being able to choose either standard or adaptive from the steering wheel. The adaptive is kind of a nice "set it and forget it" for interstate, but I can't count how many times I've rolled behind somebody in the right lane 5 or more mph under my cruise setting before realizing they're going slow. Our 460 and previous Toyotas had it, but it would be nice if they gave you the option.
I hate adaptive as well. Nothing worse than looking down and you realize your doing 5 under the speed limit and you have no idea for how long.

Auto dimming headlights. That is one of the newer tech I do like.

Last edited:

trazerr

Lil-Rokslider
Check out the Tundra forum. I'll be getting a late 2024 or a 2025. They are starting to really pile up on lots around here and I have been offered $10k off a brand new one. 2022's had wastegate issues, but that was fixed. 22's and early 23's are losing the main bearings around 27k mile average. The forum has the data on like 50 of them from there and FB. Late model 23's and 24's seem to be doing okay so far, but they still are low in miles.

pcrossett

FNG
I really like the 6.5 foot bed, so that means the double cab for me. Put a topper on it and it makes a sweet hunting rig.

I’d personally stay away from the dodge diesel.

The bummer is that in the Gen3 Toyotas with the Double cab/6.5ft bed the backseat is now about as useful as a back seat in a Camaro. When I was looking at the 2024s I couldn't really even fit in the back seat after I had adjusted my seat and with 2 big dogs they would not have had any space back there either. I don't love the 5.5ft bed and would prefer the 6.5ft but went with the crew cab/short bed combo so that the back seat is a little more functional than just storage space.

You can turn off the adaptive cruise. Long press the cruise button instead of just tapping it when you turn it on. Dash will indicate that you are now on old school cruise.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The bummer is that in the Gen3 Toyotas with the Double cab/6.5ft bed the backseat is now about as useful as a back seat in a Camaro. When I was looking at the 2024s I couldn't really even fit in the back seat after I had adjusted my seat and with 2 big dogs they would not have had any space back there either. I don't love the 5.5ft bed and would prefer the 6.5ft but went with the crew cab/short bed combo so that the back seat is a little more functional than just storage space.
I disagree. The back seat isn’t that bad at all. It’s not the crew max but it works. Unless you’re hauling 3 plus adults daily and long distances I don’t see it as an issue. I’m 6 feet and can fit back there just fine.

Thanks for the input so far! I’ve got two kids who love hunting and we do all sorts of trips together. I’m really torn between the crewmax and the 6.5’ bed…

I don’t think I’d bother with anything but the 5.7.

Thanks again!

The new ‘22+ tundra can be a crewmax with 6.5’ bed. The new ‘24s and even later build ‘23s don’t seem to have many issues and the turbo engine is an absolute beast. Not sure what your budget is but you could get a softex (fake, more durable leather material) SR5 or Limited non-hybrid for a decent price if you’re willing to shop around.

I own a ‘24 TRD Pro and love it FYI.

180ls1

WKR
The Tundra/Tacoma is the most reliable truck made, buy any year/model with confidence.

That dodge with that engine is quite possibly the least reliable truck you can buy. Buy ANY other engine than that one.