California Mule Deer (hybrid) Central Sierra/Neveda Mountains.

I hunted it twenty or so years ago when I was working down there. It's tough to find good animals. I only shot one good one. Fire station chief said it was the biggest he'd ever seen. IIRC it's only about 17" inside, nearly the same height. Don't have a pic on my phone, I'll have to take one of the mount.20240831_170431.jpg

I hunt it every year and have had good success on nice bucks. Need to scout a lot to find mature animals and it is a grind. Early winter storms that kick off the migration during season makes the best hunting.

I hunt it every year and have had good success on nice bucks. Need to scout a lot to find mature animals and it is a grind. Early winter storms that kick off the migration during season makes the best hunting.
What zone do you hunt if you don't mind me asking? I couldn't go last year but 2022 got a black bear over 250lbs out of D7

These 2 images are hybrid Blacktail/Mule Deer. I've hunted the West side of the Sierra D Zones for over 30 years and as Justin_Tree stated it's a grind. Predators out number the deer imo, but if you put in the work you can be successful. I've gotten to where I start scouting late May/ early June in the higher elevations and when I turn something up its all about keeping your mouth shut. Additionally I get back in a minimum of 5 miles to get away from the crowds. I've also had good luck on the East side of the Sierras in the X Zones, if you can get an X Zone tag there's good mule deer hunting over closer to the Nevada border.

SMASH EVERY PREDATOR YOU POSSIBLY CAN!

Attachments

• IMG_0032.JPG
    IMG_0032.JPG
    303 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_3609.jpg
    IMG_3609.jpg
    682.2 KB · Views: 27
Back