Caliber for stick and string guy

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Need some help, got info over load......
True passion is bow hunting, but need to put a rifle in my possession.
I've chosen a Browning x bolt spr, topped with a NF SHV. I do have a suppressor.
I do not reload.

0-500 yard kill range.
Primarily hunt whitetail, mule deer, antelope.

I always try and dream and make decisions based off elk hunting, which I've never done but it's on my bucket list and I'm infatuated with western hunting. But I need to buy this weapon based off what I do, and not what I want to do.

Grew up gun hunting when I was young and dumb, slaughtered plenty whitetail with a 300wm, developed a flinch at trigger and brain scramble from shooting in underground concrete ranges.

I think I've narrowed it down to the following
6.5cm
6.5prc
7prc

I've read a ton of forums here, watched you tube videos and read articles, right when I make up my mind something changes it.
I need real word Intel by real hunters.....where y'all come in.

And sorry guys I can't afford more then one at this time, but know I'll probably have 2 in the arsenal eventually.

Thanks all

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Out of those listed, 6.5 Creedmoor is my recommendation.

Though 6 Creedmoor would be my personal preference.

I've not killed any big game with smaller than 30 cal (308 and 30-06), but have enough confidence based on the experience of others that I have been looking for big brown bears and black bears with my 243, and will look for moose with it this fall.

After using a 6CM to kill a few deer and antelope I think it's about an ideal medium range cartridge. If I was looking at a 6.5 I would go straight to the PRC.

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Next thing in a 6 for that weapon is a 6.8 western but little concerned with ammo availability and option. Not to familiar with that.

SloppyJ

WKR
Can I ask why you're stuck on that rifle? I think there could be better options, at least with more aftermarket support for the same cost or less.

I was gung-ho on a SHV but after talking with people on here who've used both, the Maven 1.2 is likely a better option for the same coin or less.

6.5 creedmoor for your needs. Short action, ammo is cheap. Better than .308 at longer distances (better BC bullets). Least recoil.

If you wanted one do it all rifle, then the 7mm PRC is a good choice. But it's long action, ammo is more expensive, and more recoil.

Sled

WKR
The 6.5 Creedmoor is really the best choice for your intended purpose. Low recoil, less expensive ammo/cost to load and readily available. I have plenty of choices in the safe and the 6.5 sees more action than the others.

OP
Venator

Venator

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly I'm not stuck on that rifle, would take some suggestions in that price point.
Threads here has me a little leary on Christianson and Bergara.

I think due to the responses on here it confirmed my thoughts, but maybe look at a different weapon with optimal barrel length and twist.
Can I ask why you're stuck on that rifle? I think there could be better options, at least with more aftermarket support for the same cost or less.

I was gung-ho on a SHV but after talking with people on here who've used both, the Maven 1.2 is likely a better option for the same coin or less.
Honestly I'm not stuck on that rifle, would take some suggestions in that price point.
Threads here have me a little leary on Christianson and Bergara.

Tikka always sound good.

I think due to the responses on here it confirmed my thoughts, but maybe look at a different weapon with optimal barrel length and twist.

Take a look at the Howa 1500 Carbon with the HS Precision stock. I think it's one of the better values in your price range.

SloppyJ

WKR
Threads here has me a little leary on Christianson and Bergara.

Threads here have me a little leary on Christianson and Bergara.

Tikka always sound good.

There's a few ways to go IMO. If you're looking for an out of the box solution, the seekins stuff can't be beat. Other than that, you could look into a Tikka where you could have some money left to get a new stock, barrel cut/threaded, and other options as you see fit.

You could find a Tikka in .243 and have exactly what you need. You don't have to have a 6creed imo. You could look at getting the barrel rechambered or if you wanted more, a 6.5prc.

I don't think the xbolt is a bad rifle. There just isn't much support for it when it comes to parts/barrels...etc. it's better to spend your money on something more modular that can grow with you in my mind.

KenLee

WKR
The x-bolt max spr with 18 inch barrel in 6.5 creed or 308 will be great for what you are wanting to do. Cheap too. Too bad you missed $75 rebate that ended a week ago.
At 7.2 pounds bare, it's a good weight to help you get over flinch without being too heavy. I bought one in 308.