Caliber black hole

N2TRKYS

WKR
A 7-08 with a 20” barrel shoots 140 grain Accubonds at 2850 fps and 120 grain NBTs at 3000 fps.

That seems to check alot of the boxes.

rootacres

WKR
Im a big fan of the 7 SAUM.

The brass is a problem right now but you have hunting rigs you can use in a pinch. I basically used the 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lbs as the benchmark for impact. These were the measurable many people use as a minimum for elk. With the 7 SAUM and a 168 VLD (22" tube) I am getting 2835 fps MV without really pushing it. That puts me at 2000 fps and 1500 ft/lbs at 600 yds which is the max distance I can practice right now. Bucks the wind pretty darn good too.

Your other selections:

270 WSM - Good cartridge, caught in the wash of the 6.8 western / 6.5 PRC. I personally think this is a dying cartridge. Better options IMO for s short action.

270/7 SS - If you're comfortable going the wildcat route, go for it. . 7 SS is legit. I dont know enough about the wildcats to be comfortable chambering a rifle in it.

* 7-08 is a great cartridge and is a decent option to come underneath your 300 WSM. Only caveat is, if you're going on an elk hunt, are you going to grab a 7-08 when you have a 300 WSM in the safe?

** Another option, sell the 300 WSM and build this SA custom in 300 WSM.

I was in this black hole not too long ago myself. Almost the same criteria but I wanted a short barrel. So I went 6.5 saum. If I went with a standard length barrel my choice would have been 6.5cm all the way because of component availability. Now if it was just for hunting, I wouldn't have picked either of those.. probably a 300prc because targets past 1K need love too, and elk will be just as dead.

Ryan's 6 um would do the trick if you're wanting to avoid duplication and the creedmoor/prcs. You'd get to use a wildcat too, which it seems you're after.

OP
P
Thanks a lot for all the input. I settled on the 7 SAW. Pushing 160 grainers as fast as I can get em out of a 26” benchmark barrel.

Jon Boy

WKR
Thanks a lot for all the input. I settled on the 7 SAW. Pushing 160 grainers as fast as I can get em out of a 26” benchmark barrel.
I've been able to get 162s in the mid 2700s out of multiple tikkas. Id imagine you could do a bit more. Would love to hear how it works for you as I've always wondered about that chambering

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Did you go into your build wanting a 21” barrel or what factor made you decide 21? I was looking at WTOs velocity testing and they used a 31” barrel so it was hard to truly determine what to expect. It states a 26” barrel would be needed to get a 162 into that speed range.

I built it at 20” as I use a suppressor on it.

I am not familiar with WTO’s work, but my chronograph would beg to differ with their information.

khuber84

WKR
Here's a question, how much do you plan to shoot it? Already have a 300wsm, that already covers the elk to 500+. Steel to 1k, cheap to reload, good barrel life, screams 65 creed or 6gt to me. These will last 2500-3500 rounds. 7saw is a good option as well just more powder to burn and more expensive bullets, slightly better ballistics, more recoil as well. Time behind a rifle shooting in the wind is what will make you a better Marksman. I try to do that with lower cost to shoot rifles, 6mm all the way. Its hard to have 1-2 rifles that cover all the niches. Its like you need a safe that has rifles for the given job, kibda like a golfer has a bag with clubs for a given task.

Sled

WKR
I'd steer clear of the 6.8 western suggested above. The brass is made by Winchester and poorly made at that. It'll eat up any gains you see from consistency in your reloading and you may not get more than a few loadings in that cartridge. The 270wsm is great but as you stated, a dying cartridge. I'm still building and shooting that one but there are better options out there if you're not committed to it.

OP
P
I've been able to get 162s in the mid 2700s out of multiple tikkas. Id imagine you could do a bit more. Would love to hear how it works for you as I've always wondered about that chambering

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Are those speeds out of a 24” tikka barrel? I’ll post back here once I get rolling, unfortunately I’m about a year and a half out for my build to be complete :/ stay tuned lol

Mjmaida

FNG
You’ve got to go 6.8 western. A new and improved 270 wsm with even better trajectory and energy down range. I just got myself one in a Browning hells canyon McMillan stock and wow it shoots sub moa and might just be the best factory gun I’ve ever bought. I’m not lying when I’m saying it does everything a custom rifle except the part where you get to enjoy the process building it. All for thousands cheaper. Count me in!

Mjmaida

FNG
As far as what Sled said above. Sure steer clear if you want but Winchester is one of the biggest names in the game and their copper impact 162 grain bullet is readily available right now and I bought 7 boxes. The round is basically the equivalent of the Barnes ttsx and the hornady gmx/cx. My gun loves it. Haven’t shot it a ton because I got it 3 weeks ago but right now my gun is shooting around MOA at 100 with the best grouping I’ve had at .74 which might not seem insane but is good enough for hunting and the guns basically brand new I have less than 40 rounds through it. I have also been smacking a 5 inch plate at 300 yards and the factory load is doing just fine. Just can’t imagine how much better this caliber will get when reloading becomes a regular thing for me. Every man has their opinion and sure you have people bash every caliber out there for any reason they can. But from my experience I love my 6.8 western so far and it is meant to kill any game in NA. So if you go decide to go this route buy 5-10 boxes and some bullets and just reload. Don’t think you’d be disappointed.