Calculating bullet speed

Novahunter

Lil-Rokslider
How are you guys figuring bullet speed?

I have a muley hunt coming up that I have a Tikka T3 in 7RM that's shooting great.
Norma brass
H4831- 65 grains
150 grain Barnes TTSX

Feeling good about it, but then I see threads about the speed needed to make sure my copper bullet fully opens. How can i figure my speed roughly without an chrono?

I wanna kill the animal efficiently, I'm not all that worried about the details. But I'd like to know how fast that bullet will be running when its at different yardages.

Do I need to buy a ballistic calculator? Help would be appreciated.

Bullet speed is a data point you need to measure. Buy a chronograph.

Wrench

WKR
..... or, hit zero with a scope of know quantity in terms of click value.

Shoot 100, 300, 500-600. This is your velocity validation range. Big ES will show up on the long end.

Shoot 600-1000 or beyond, this is your BC validation range. It's not hard...but requires work and math. Any quality ballistic calculator can calculate your MV based on data inputs.

eric1115

WKR
I have mixed feelings on the chronograph recommendation. I do have and use a magnetospeed, but it hasn't revolutionized my reloading.

When I got it, I measured all my existing loads and found them to be within 20 fps or so of what I had back-calculated from shooting at distance. I still validate my mv's by shooting at distance.

It's great for quick data, and knowing sd/es is a good thing, but if you're a 400-500 yard guy I don't think it's essential.

I would certainly skip the optical. I went round and round when I was figuring out what I wanted, thinking that the ability to shoot groups and get velocity data at the same time would be super valuable. I ended up coming to the conclusion that the ease of setup, ability to use on any public range without going in front of the firing line to set up, compact size that fits in a range bag, and most importantly accuracy of measurement far outweighs the expense of a few extra rounds needed for separate velocity and group data.

49ereric

WKR
How are you guys figuring bullet speed?

I have a muley hunt coming up that I have a Tikka T3 in 7RM that's shooting great.
Norma brass
H4831- 65 grains
150 grain Barnes TTSX

Feeling good about it, but then I see threads about the speed needed to make sure my copper bullet fully opens. How can i figure my speed roughly without an chrono?

I wanna kill the animal efficiently, I'm not all that worried about the details. But I'd like to know how fast that bullet will be running when its at different yardages.

Do I need to buy a ballistic calculator? Help would be appreciated.
We got by with none of that information in the old days and had successful hunts. Just used a recipe shot the rifle and called it good.
you can spend the coin if you want of course for the modern goodies.

OP
roymunson

roymunson

WKR
We got by with none of that information in the old days and had successful hunts. Just used a recipe shot the rifle and called it good.
you can spend the coin if you want of course for the modern goodies.
but what's the fun in that? Things change, things advance, info is fun

49ereric

WKR
but what's the fun in that? Things change, things advance, info is fun
Was always more a need but in my case I always tried to fine tune things but realized for me that throwing money at something for tiny improvements was not worth it.
Enjoy your toys though 👍

Last edited:

Rock-o

WKR
I have a chronograph that I have never used. Before I got to the range with my first loads I learned I didn't need it. And if I really wanted my velocity I know I could use my DOPE and a ballistics calculator to easily back into it.

Last edited: