Cabela's Mountain Hunter

When are they going to bring these back? These are the ones with the single fold gusseted tongue made by Vasque with the Cabela's name.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Mine are uninsulated and I feel the design eliminates the need for as much insulation due to the lack of constricting circulation issues commonplace with most designs. Good boots are made in the good ole USofA or Europe, not Asia.

crumy

WKR
Franklin -- I have been trying to find the name of these boots I bought about 12 years ago at a Cabelas tent sale for $25 bucks. These have been THE BEST BOOT I have ever had. They have a skywalk sole and I kept coming up with vasque but they don't have a boot like that. It has taken me this long to find out the name of the boot. After going through forums, and plenty of google searchers I am told they are the Cabela's Mountain Hunter. Someone told me they were made by Kenetrek but everything I find says vasque. Anyway.. I found this post and am hoping since you have the boots you can tell me if these are the Mountain Hunters.

photo(3).jpg

OP
Brandon Pattison
I dont think so. Mine are different. Maybe you are correct and I am wrong tho. I think when mine were available there was a sister boot but mine are nubuck leather.

tstowater

WKR
I didn't have the Mountain Hunters, but I did have the Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan's from Cabelas. Both of those boots were made by Meindl and my recall was that the Mountain Hunters at that time were made by Meindl also. This was about 10 years ago. Heel finally gave out in December on a mountain lion hunt on the Perfekt Hunters but still have the Alaskans. Not sure why as they don't fit anymore. Cabelas has changed how they do business and have private labeled a lot of the boots and clothes, and, in my opinion, cheapened most of it up. I'm guessing that they won't spend the money to "spec" the boots the way you want them.

crumy

WKR
Aren't Meindels made in Germany? These have a Made in Italy sticker. That and the skywalk sole is why I was thinking Vasque. But nobody seems to use that sole anymore and vasque doesn't make that type of boot that I can find. I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I am going ot ahve to go boot shopping soon. May go with Crispi. Everyone seems to really like the Hanwags but I don't know.

Aren't Meindels made in Germany? These have a Made in Italy sticker. That and the skywalk sole is why I was thinking Vasque. But nobody seems to use that sole anymore and vasque doesn't make that type of boot that I can find. I appreciate all the feedback. Looks like I am going ot ahve to go boot shopping soon. May go with Crispi. Everyone seems to really like the Hanwags but I don't know.

Yes meindl's are made in Germany I have pair the Alaska gtx very comfortable overall good boot. Sorry you still can't find the maker of the boot cause I'm stumped lol

crumy

WKR
Yea. it is sort of crazy.. Just for documentation sake.. Here is the bottom of the boot. for Franklin...

Cali. Are you on eastmans too with the same name? I think you are on another thread about boots I started . As you can see I am trying everything to find this boot lol

photo(1).jpg

OP
Brandon Pattison
Yea. it is sort of crazy.. Just for documentation sake.. Here is the bottom of the boot. for Franklin...

Cali. Are you on eastmans too with the same name? I think you are on another thread about boots I started . As you can see I am trying everything to find this boot lol

View attachment 5088

Different sole than mine. I did find a pair on ebay that ended. I have had a few pairs of Meindls but the Mountain Hunters are definitely Italian and made by Vasque.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I didn't have the Mountain Hunters, but I did have the Perfekt Hunters and Alaskan's from Cabelas. Both of those boots were made by Meindl and my recall was that the Mountain Hunters at that time were made by Meindl also. This was about 10 years ago. Heel finally gave out in December on a mountain lion hunt on the Perfekt Hunters but still have the Alaskans. Not sure why as they don't fit anymore. Cabelas has changed how they do business and have private labeled a lot of the boots and clothes, and, in my opinion, cheapened most of it up. I'm guessing that they won't spend the money to "spec" the boots the way you want them.

Cabela's sells A LOT of Chinese stuff now. I only save the big hard cover catalog and throw out the rest in disgust. Why do they send out so many? Cut down on them and drop the prices and use American goods I say. They are the Wal-Mart of sporting goods now it seems. I have spent thousands at their store (and Wal-Mart) but we need to buy American if possible.

crumy

WKR
Ok.. thanks. as you can see that sole is in great shape. It has several years of Ohio Hunting on it, and 4 years of hard backpacking mountain hunting in wyoming. Holds up great. That is why I was hoping to find it.

crumy

WKR
I agree with you. They used to be the "premier" outdoors store. I didn't always shop there because I didn't want to spend the money. But when I wanted Top End gear I knew where to go... Now not so much.

Cabela's sells A LOT of Chinese stuff now. I only save the big hard cover catalog and throw out the rest in disgust. Why do they send out so many? Cut down on them and drop the prices and use American goods I say. They are the Wal-Mart of sporting goods now it seems. I have spent thousands at their store (and Wal-Mart) but we need to buy American if possible.

OP
Brandon Pattison
ny8y7uda.jpg
egevy9yz.jpg

crumy

WKR
Thanks.. Those are definitely different. I give up... :) It has the same inside liner but that isn't saying much. I obviously am never going to find who made these boots. I have to believe they were made by vasque because of the sole but they don't sale a boot like that anymore.

tstowater

WKR
Definitely a different boot than mine. I just looked at the Alaska Hunter boot--they say Cabelas by Meindl. Everything is different. If you figure it out, I would be curious to know.

OP
Brandon Pattison
I ran about every boot Meindl sells at Cabela's. They are good boots. The Alaska Hunter was my favorite but I have arthritus in my big toes (from being a flat-footed Neanderthal) so they are a no go.