Cabelas Krotos sale.

dtrkyman

WKR
Cabelas has these on sale, 599 for the 20/60x86, I have read some older reviews and have been looking for a spotter.

Can anything touch this for the price? I was trying to stay under 1500$ and it seems this scope is on par with scopes up to that range?

Thanks

Matt G.

WKR
I had the 65 and for the money, it was good. Equivalent to the athlon ares. I found the 86 to be way too big for packing etc. Not sure I would want to carry on range

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

Find a Kowa 553/554 for under $1500 and be done with it.

Awesome spotter and competes very well with larger alpha spotters.

Wapiti1

WKR
The Krotos is a decent mid-price scope. Just don't expect 60X to be super useable. It will work in good light, but will be lacking in dim light. 45-50X will be the top end on that scope for all light conditions.

That's the reality of the lower price point optics. Good up to a point, but they fall off at the top end.

Really depends on your needs. If you are counting rings or points a long way off, it won't work well. If you are looking to just extend your range to find animals, it will do that great.

At $1500, I'd find a Meopta Meopro or get the Pentax PF-80ED to save some cash. IMO, these are better scopes than the Cabelas, and pretty much anything else in their price point.

Jeremy

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
Been eyeing the meopro, as well as the Kowa's, 602 or 82.

Problem is I am thinking I may be better off with some 18x bino's?

Wapiti1

WKR
Been eyeing the meopro, as well as the Kowa's, 602 or 82.

Problem is I am thinking I may be better off with some 18x bino's?
What are you wanting to do with this new glass? 18's are great for some things, like searching for tiny grey deer on a not too distant mountainside. Spotters are great for other things, like, is that bull, 4 miles away, legal.

For me, the combo of 10's or 12's and a 20-60 spotter are preferred. I think 15's and 18's are more specific purpose optics and not suited for universal use like 10's. Just my opinion. My 12's are as heavy as I want to carry.

Jeremy

OP
D

dtrkyman

WKR
For me finding elk is not that hard, mule deer on the other hand seem to be a challenge finding good bucks particularly when bedded.

I have good 10x binos, I think I would prefer something to find critters more so than evaluate them at 1 mile or two.

I am an archery hunter and may do some guiding in New Mexico for deer and elk.

Not looking for "legal" bulls, but will need to judge them of course.

At some point I "need" both, but just trying to get one this season.

Last edited:

CJF

WKR
I have that scope and have used it extensively. Like others have said, 50X is really it's max for clarity through the entire field of view. That being said, I think it's a great option for the price point. I only use it when glassing from the truck or preseason scouting when I don't have a gun/bow.