Ca x9c or x3b

Well not the cream of the crop for units but they don’t take many points. I should have enough points to draw either zone next year. I want to do a scouting trip in July but I’m undecided on which zone. In x3b it would be in the warners and x9c would be the white mountains. I don’t have a quad or utv. I’m a backpack hunter with a good amount of experience in Bzone Wilderness. So I’m most interested in a backpack hunt even though that’s probably not the best way to maximize covering ground. If anyone has any suggestions one way or the other or info you are willing to offer, shoot me a PM. I’m not really interested in saving up 7-10 points for the better zones. I won’t to learn a place I can draw every few years. X1 isn’t out of the question either.
Thanks

Equally good bucks in both zones. Herd numbers are far from optimal in both zones. Both zones have incredible country. Frankly, I'd chose the zone I could dedicate the most time in. And that is said with having spent plenty of time in 3b long ago and still having friends there. 9c is a ginormous remote zone that can be particularly inhospitable at times. If you happen to be in the wrong place during one of these times, far more inhospitable than you can imagine.

Most first timers to both zones spend there time attempting to locate good bucks that can be taken legally, withvthe season coming and going with either tag soup or a significant drop of expectations. You really need to commit to one and scout every chance you get.

I love the country in 3b. Unfortunately, I have not been back there is way to many years. But I have no doubts there are still some monster bucks in the zone, and bucks that migrate into the zone. Generally, 9c are resident deer.

amassi

WKR
The issue with 3b is the deer density is outside of the wilderness and the pressure is in the wilderness so you'll have plenty of company with plenty of horse camps et el.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

The deer numbers in X3b are beyond terrible. You use to be able to see herds of deer in the fields on private down by Madeline in South Warners. Now your lucky to see a few speed goats. Stop in the General store and talk to the lady too. I helped with a hunt last year with my dad he drew a tag on random. We have hunted for X3b for lot of years with success but last season was worst we have seen, theirs a lot more bears and Mtn lions than ever before. We hunted all over in moon lake area and blue lake. I would look at X4 or X1 for the northern ca low point x zone hunt. Call and talk to biologist he had the reduce tag numbers last season he’s also pushing for a bear season up there. Just my 2 cents

amassi

WKR
The deer numbers in X3b are beyond terrible. You use to be able to see herds of deer in the fields on private down by Madeline in South Warners. Now your lucky to see a few speed goats. Stop in the General store and talk to the lady too. I helped with a hunt last year with my dad he drew a tag on random. We have hunted for X3b for lot of years with success but last season was worst we have seen, theirs a lot more bears and Mtn lions than ever before. We hunted all over in moon lake area and blue lake. I would look at X4 or X1 for the northern ca low point x zone hunt. Call and talk to biologist he had the reduce tag numbers last season he’s also pushing for a bear season up there. Just my 2 cents
How many road hunters did you guys see around blue lake? Place is an absolute Zoo, I don't blame bucks for avoiding that racetrack.
Agreed that herd is in big trouble, despite the ease of drawing I wish they'd drop the tag quota for 3B.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Marble

WKR
X3B has declined a lot since it's hay day. It will need 3 to 4 years of quality moisture, a bear season and grazing restrictions for cattle and sheep.

I dont think the cattle compete with the deer as much as the sheep, but there are some areas, 5+ miles from the road, that were grazed to dirt by sheep last time I was there.

The days of seeing 20 to 30 deer with several little bucks in the back country are long gone.

It's sad, I put a lot of time and effort locating spots that hold good bucks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Mulyhuntr

WKR
Hunted x9c a couple years ago and will never hunt it again. Deer are few and far between. I even have a bunch of family in Bishop so it's a convenient hunt but will still never waste any points on that unit.

X3B has declined a lot since it's hay day. It will need 3 to 4 years of quality moisture, a bear season and grazing restrictions for cattle and sheep.

I dont think the cattle compete with the deer as much as the sheep, but there are some areas, 5+ miles from the road, that were grazed to dirt by sheep last time I was there.

The days of seeing 20 to 30 deer with several little bucks in the back country are long gone.

It's sad, I put a lot of time and effort locating spots that hold good bucks.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
There was a ton sheep around The Blue Lake area probably over 300 they had all the grasses mowed down to nothing.

I hunted x9c last year and had mixed results. I did not have a chance to scout during summer and my initial spot had lots of sign, but absolutely no deer. I switched it up and backpacked into a different area that was difficult to get to and saw a handful of bucks. Nothing incredible but I was happy with the buck I got and the scenery was amazing. Didn't see a single person in the last spot I was in.

That is interesting to know. I was thinking about putting in for 3B this year but now you guys got me second guessing. Maybe I’ll just try for a random draw for X-12.

Calbuck

WKR
Hate to say it but deer numbers are down EVERYWHERE. X1, X4, C, all the zones are in the same boat. You just never know though, when you might run into a good one in any of them. There are always a handful of good bucks taken.

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
They reduced the tag quota last year for X3B from about 800 to 500. That's probably going to cause a bit of point creep in the future. I've hunted it twice, and returned a tag in 2020 because of fires. I don't think it's worth the 3 points to draw and the 6 hour drive. Makes scouting tough with two young kids now.

I'd try and pick a zone that I could scout more frequently, so I'm looking at areas that are closer to home. As mentioned above deer numbers are down most everywhere, but a few good bucks come out of each of the zones every year.

2-Stix

WKR
A friend hunted x9c last year...Ran a 4 day weekend for the full season and worked extremely hard. Saw one good buck and very few deer overall. It was a good buck...but he said it was a lot of a lot of glassing for days on end. He worked every nook and cranny of that unit in a built 4x4.

I hunt a friends land that backs up to wilderness with very little access or pressure. Theres bucks everywhere we look, but its small coastal blacktails.