CA top 2% club, who else is in it?

There are a lot of guys that prefer to pay the fee than report their harvest. And some that simply report no harvest. In others words, there is still a margin of error in "ranking". But that other saying may hold true, you know, the same 10% kill xx% of the deer year after year.

OP
yellowbeard
There are a lot of guys that prefer to pay the fee than report their harvest. And some that simply report no harvest. In others words, there is still a margin of error in "ranking". But that other saying may hold true, you know, the same 10% kill xx% of the deer year after year.
Sending out / publishing rankings or a leaderboard might be a way to get more people to report their harvests :p

Seriously though, what's the incentive to not report? I totally understand not wanting to say exactly where you harvested, but plus or minus one harvest report for any large zone is going to have negligible impact on overall statistics.

Sending out / publishing rankings or a leaderboard might be a way to get more people to report their harvests :p

Seriously though, what's the incentive to not report? I totally understand not wanting to say exactly where you harvested, but plus or minus one harvest report for any large zone is going to have negligible impact on overall statistics.
Considering how easy it is to find people electronically now, I would not want my name tied to a ranking list, as I've already experienced guys trying to follow me.

Success rates and the subsequent number of points each harvest was reported to have had, has significant impact on the zone choice of many hunters.

OP
yellowbeard
Considering how easy it is to find people electronically now, I would not want my name tied to a ranking list, as I've already experienced guys trying to follow me.

Success rates and the subsequent number of points each harvest was reported to have had, has significant impact on the zone choice of many hunters.
Yeah for sure, any ranking list would have to be anonymized. And absolutely I take your point that people look at success numbers.

OP
yellowbeard
Fairly sure they sent those out to most hunters.
Lol would be funny if they lied. But most hunters don't even kill a deer most years, I'd be pretty surprised if that was me and I got this letter 😂

cjdewese

WKR
Just curious as a new CA hunter, do you guys get deer every year and if so, what zones are you guys hunting.

I have been 2 for 4 in crappy so cal D zones, felt pretty good about that so far. LOL

huntnful

WKR
Just curious as a new CA hunter, do you guys get deer every year and if so, what zones are you guys hunting.

I have been 2 for 4 in crappy so cal D zones, felt pretty good about that so far. LOL
You're doing just fine dude. Don't worry about other's successes. That's legit for SoCal.

I always report mine. I just don't share the area too precisely...lol. And I'm plenty vague to whoever signs my tag off too hahaha. It says the correct zone, that's all they need to know IMO.

180ls1

WKR

D zones are rough, especially on public.

A zone and some of the zones further north have harvest success over 20 or 30%.

Its honestly great for skill acquisition, if you can kill here (southern D zones), you can kill anywhere.

OP
yellowbeard

Definitely legit, you should feel good, look at the published success rates, you're doing way above average. I know I started the thread (mostly as a joke), but comparing yourself to others is a recipe for disappointment. Everyone has different commitments and abilities. I generally try to just compare myself to how I've done in previous years and keep pushing myself a little. This year I bought an archery only tag, lol, already starting to regret that...

180ls1

WKR
Definitely legit, you should feel good, look at the published success rates, you're doing way above average. I know I started the thread (mostly as a joke), but comparing yourself to others is a recipe for disappointment. Everyone has different commitments and abilities. I generally try to just compare myself to how I've done in previous years and keep pushing myself a little. This year I bought an archery only tag, lol, already starting to regret that...

Same. Picked up a22 for my 2nd. Last year I think hunters went 23 for 1,000. That's including private. I'm looking forward to the challenge and time outdoors.

What is cool though is a guy can hunt from July-Dec 31st depending on the two tags he gets.

AM_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

Lol im 0 for 7 hunting SoCal, A Zone, and a little bit of NorCal. But i have been trying to learn and teach myself mostly. Not much guidance other than the internet. Learned more in the last two years than I did in the first 6 though

180ls1

WKR
Lol im 0 for 7 hunting SoCal, A Zone, and a little bit of NorCal. But i have been trying to learn and teach myself mostly. Not much guidance other than the internet. Learned more in the last two years than I did in the first 6 though

You are right at the tipping point. Stay with it! Many quit before it starts all coming together.

That said, one of the best things you can do is find ways to be out there more. Try and chase everything. Turkey, Bear, Pigs, Quail, Dove, Coyotes etc... Some of my best spots for X animal have been found when hunting Y animal.