CA 6.5PRC Pressure Signs- Am I gonna die?

Boltgun

FNG
I purchased a Christenson Arms Mesa 6.5 PRC from a member on here a while back. It has been one of the most accurate rifles I own, topped by a NF 2-20 NX8. I don’t reload, so I’ve been running exclusively factory ELDM through it. Previous owner said it had about 200 rounds on it, and it probably now sits around 500.

Occasionally I get a heavy bolt lift and pressure signs (extractor rings) on the brass. I figured it was carbon ring buildup, so in preparation for a rifle class, I cleaned it thoroughly including copper cleaner. Checked the bore with a bore camera, looked good to go.

The first few rounds of the class showed heavy lift and actually blew out a primer. I suspect the bit of oil from the cleaning caused the tighter chamber? After 10 rounds it settled in and all was good.

Confirmed dope on a truing bar at 900 yds, and confirmed a velocity of 2910 fps, which is the stated box velocity. This particular rifle has a barrel cut to 20” and threaded for my suppressor. This screaming fast velocity from a short barrel, combined with the other issues have me worried. Is it just a very tight chamber? Should I be worried that it’s gonna explode?

To answer your question: Yes. Most likely you will die.
I definitely wouldn’t trust that Christi on a hunt. At those velocities, it would probably over penetrate.
By the sounds of it, you should buy a new gun. I’d look at a GW. Or something carbon.

Probably not going to explode but I'd have a hard time going on using it with the persistent issues.

based on forum complaints, CA really struggles to cut PRC chambers large enough. with 500 rounds down the tube, i'd probably not worry too much about it, your most recent issue was user error. Make sure whoever cuts your next barrel knows and cares about what they are doing.

While mine is not the Mesa, my Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC has performed flawlessly. One of the most accurate rifles I have ever owned. Shoots .5 consistently with Hornady 143 grain ELDX factory. The only problem I have had is the blind magazine will only hold two rounds. Not that I have needed a second shot, much less a third or fourth.

axeforce6

WKR
Oil/moisture in the chamber will create excess pressure. Be sure to clean that out completely. Hornady ammo has been very accurate for me, but like you, I have had several rounds over pressure. It's not a rifle issue. Its the ammo manufacturer.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
My experience / opinion, this is a CA issue. I had a similar issue in a 300 WM in a traverse. Similar situation; bought from a member here and put rounds through and found some issues include very heavy bolt lift. Tried to chase the issues. Finally sent back to CA and they fixed.

Try and see if CA will fix it. It was a very quick turnaround

With that kind of inconsistency in pressure signs, I'd rule out the rifle as the culprit. I'd try some different ammo.

TaperPin

WKR
Purchased back in the early 80’s, I had a 338 Ruger m77 with very similar pressure signs with factory ammo. The chamber measured a little on the large size, so with that gun the reason was a slightly tight barrel. I have no evidence, but I don’t doubt that when a factory gun is test fired and it shows really high pressure signs, the chamber is opened up slightly to max saami specs. The only other fix is barrel replacement or lapping it larger.

OP
B

Boltgun

FNG
Thanks everyone for the responses! It’s been a very accurate rifle, so I want to continue using it, but it’s headed for Africa next year and Alaska the year after, and I’m concerned if the a bit of dust or water could cause problems right at the worst moment.

OP
B

Boltgun

FNG
My experience / opinion, this is a CA issue. I had a similar issue in a 300 WM in a traverse. Similar situation; bought from a member here and put rounds through and found some issues include very heavy bolt lift. Tried to chase the issues. Finally sent back to CA and they fixed.

Try and see if CA will fix it. It was a very quick turnaround
That's good to hear! I was under the impression CA only warranted products for the initial purchaser. I'll reach out to them. How long was "a very quick turnaround?"

WoodBow

WKR
Isn't there something CA does with their 6.5 prc's for people who are reloading. Something about after brass has been loaded 2 or 3 times, it stops fitting properly. You send it in and they ream something out a touch. Maybe that would fix it? That's just what popped into my head.

I had a very similar issue on a CA Mesa in 6.5 PRC. I bought mine 2nd hand, but unfired. Started noticing tight chamber issues during the first 30 rounds, so I sent it off to CA after reaching out to customer service. They were great to deal with. 1 month turn-around from the time I shipped till it was back in my hands. I'm at about 150 rounds now and it shoots great with multiple hand loads. 1/2" to 3/4" groups with several different bullets and very little load work.

The note on the repair ticket:
"Bore Scoped Chamber and Throat, Checked Headspace (Headspace is correct), Polished Chamber, Recut chamber/throat, Test Fired for Function, - loading smooth and without incident. Extraction 100%"

Also, if you talk to CA customer service, don't mention handloads. Just tell them you used factory ammo.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
That's good to hear! I was under the impression CA only warranted products for the initial purchaser. I'll reach out to them. How long was "a very quick turnaround?"

I looked back at my emails - completed RMA on 8/17 and returned 9/14 . I just told them the problems I had incurred (heavy bolt and inconsistent groups with factory ammo and sent a pic of groupings) and filled out the RMA.

They returned with the following: Installed New Barrel, Adjusted Headspace, Bedded Rifle, Engraved Barrel, Test Fired for Accuracy, Timed Muzzle Brake.

Rifle shoots within specs now.