Bx4 10x42 problems

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Getting the same coatings and objective size is not how it works. Contrary to belief, larger objectives don't gather more light, they allow more in. As soon as you squeeze that 50mm or whatever down to a 1", 30mm, 34mm, etc tube you're now down to the light that can pass through that so the only thing you're actually gaining with that larger objective size is exit pupil. The barrels on binos are A LOT bigger than a scope tube.

As far as coatings and glass, that's all fine and dandy but a variable power optic has more lenses and complications than a pair of binos. Therefor further reducing light transmission.

You're going to need a lot better glass than those BX4's to see the same thing in low light. You need to be looking at higher end euro glass for the most part with a few exceptions. Swaro and S&B are excellent optically as is
Burris Signature HD Scopes are a lot like your binos. They punch way above their price tag. I have a couple 3-15x44's that are amazingly bright and priced for the working guy.
I’ve thought about dipping my foot in the Burris pool. Now I’m thinking of selling the meopro and trying to find a trijicon thanks to bearwhisky the tr-22(I think) looked good.
Trijicon accupoint 3-9 is excellent in low light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
4 for the Nikon and meopro, 3 for the optika. I always keep the scope at the lowest setting for quick shots. So I’d prefer to stay in the 2,3,or 4 for lowest power. High end I’d say 9-15.
What distances were the intended targets? (For my experiment)

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
The bottom line is that those are both lower end riflescopes that have just ok glass, and those binos are more mid range binos that have excellent glass for their price range. You're not going to see the stuff with the scope that you will with the binos. Buying a better scope is the answer.
I did pay more for both the meopta scopes each than I did for the binos.. take a batch of 3-9x40 scopes. They all will be very similar as far as parts and operation go. But only one can be the brightest. I’d guess that comes down to coatings. I know bright doesn’t always mean better. But someone has to make a scope with good/ great clarity and bright glass.

I’ve thought about dipping my foot in the Burris pool. Now I’m thinking of selling the meopro and trying to find a trijicon thanks to bearwhisky the tr-22(I think) looked good.

I can test it to verify, but I want to say my accupoint outperforms my BX4s in low light.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
I can test it to verify, but I want to say my accupoint outperforms my BX4s in low light.

The 3-9x40 accupoint? What reticle do you have? I wish they made a simple 50mm objective in a 2-10 or 2-12 range.

Leupold is excellent for low-light in general. Had a VX-3i and loved it for low-light. My cheap Bushnell binos couldn’t keep up.

Also looked through many other Leupold scopes in the dark as I used to manage a gun shop.

You can probably find a VX-5HD 3-15 within budget on sale or preowned.

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Leupold is excellent for low-light in general. Had a VX-3i and loved it for low-light. My cheap Bushnell binos couldn’t keep up.

Also looked through many other Leupold scopes in the dark as I used to manage a gun shop.

You can probably find a VX-5HD 3-15 within budget on sale or preowned.

The only leupold I’ve ever paid for was the bx4, I love them. I liked the other leupold stuff I’ve looked through but I’ve always bought something else for whatever reason. I’m thinking a trijicon may be my next step due to good enough glass and usable reticle. I feel like where I see my bucks is always in the shadows of big woods. I think I’m set on mid range glass. No need to keep chasing that rabbit as far as image quality goes. Now I need to find a reticle I can use at the image quality I’ve settled on.

ChrisAU

WKR
A lot of it is going to come down to two eyes processing information vs one. Now we need a rifle scope with a BTX style eyepiece 😂

OP
Waterboy

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
A lot of it is going to come down to two eyes processing information vs one. Now we need a rifle scope with a BTX style eyepiece 😂
Idk about that. Lol if I spending that kinda cash I’d be tempted to just grab a Pulsar or something. Lol I think maybe those binos were made specifically for my eye balls.