Buying my first welder...have questions

nrh6.7

WKR
After going through the process of working with my youngest son on whether he wants to become a welder, I've decided to buy my first and finally learn how to weld. Been meaning to do this for many years and am not waiting any longer. Would like to get your thoughts on how I'm looking at this and see if anyone has better ideas.

Looking for something I can grow into and not be in need of a more capable machine if I enjoy it and want to do more. If not, I want to have a nice enough machine that I can sell it and get as much expense back as possible. I've pretty much decided to buy either a Lincoln or Miller as my jumping off point. Specifically the Pro Mig 180 Dual or the Millermatic 211. I like the dual voltage capability and each machine should allow me to do just about whatever I want in my garage. Budget is somewhere around $2K for the welder.

I really like the autoset feature on the Miller, which Lincoln does not have on the 180. Is this something a new welder should want or can wire speed and voltage be figured out quickly? Part of me thinks it'll only get used for a short while, maybe not.

What about multiprocess machines? Have heard they are jacks of all trades but masters of none. If so, I'd probably pass but it would be nice to be able to stick weld on the same unit and maybe learn tig later if it has all three. Thoughts?

Lastly, welders seem to have gone up a lot in price over the last few years. Watched several review vids talking about the 180 being under $1K within the last 5-6 years. Is today's pricing crazy or pretty normal? Is there a good time of year to buy? Feel free to offer other units I should consider.

Thanks for any help.

bsnedeker

WKR
Good timing on this thread! I just learned that if I want to get into wolf trapping I need to learn to weld. I think I just need to be able to spot weld and reinforce s-hooks and swivels and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Both the welders you mention are fine machines. I always preferred the Lincoln, but that's just me. You mention you will be doing garage work. to what extend will that be? if you think there will come a time where you will be using it a lot, make sure to check on the duty cycle of the machine you are looking at.

What do you think you will wind up wanting to weld in the future?

As in, do you expect to need/want to weld aluminum or stainless?

I guess I’d be considered a hobby welder, I don’t do it for a living. But I’ve made quite a few parts with my welder. I started with a smaller mig welder and got sick of all the things I couldn’t do with it, so some friends who do weld for a living helped me find a old Lincoln idealarc 300/300 tig machine for $400 and I love it. I bought another off of Craigslist as a backup then bought two more miller 250A tig machines for $500 or less that I’ve never used because the Lincoln won’t quit. In my opinion a high amp tig machine with no computer is the best deal for the money. They’re cheap and there’s nothing you can’t weld with it. And you can definitely “grow in” to it in skill and project size.

I have a hobart 145 wire feed with gas. It's good for sheet metal work but tends not to have a steady feed - kind of a spits and spurts welder. My partner has a 165 hobart with some of the same issues. As a 110 welder for repairs we have gotten by but I'm not thrilled. For the heavier stuff I have a lincoln AC buzzbox as a stick welder. It has kept my farm equipment going but occasionaly I have to bring in someone with skills as opposed to my birdshit welds.

From my perspective : take the class first then buy what will fit your needs and skills. An excellant high priced machine is a waste of money in the hands of a cluts welder.

Wrench

WKR
I have a lot if welders that perform all processes. If I were getting a transformer mig, it would be the handler 210. It's 99% of the miller at a fraction of the cost. If I wanted more, I'd be looking at multi process iverter based rigs. I bought a Chinese inverter mig to see what the hype was about and it is pretty impressive. I'd plug it in to my mobile rig before I grabbed the ln 25....which I never would have believed.

I guess I’d be considered a hobby welder, I don’t do it for a living. But I’ve made quite a few parts with my welder. I started with a smaller mig welder and got sick of all the things I couldn’t do with it, so some friends who do weld for a living helped me find a old Lincoln idealarc 300/300 tig machine for $400 and I love it. I bought another off of Craigslist as a backup then bought two more miller 250A tig machines for $500 or less that I’ve never used because the Lincoln won’t quit. In my opinion a high amp tig machine with no computer is the best deal for the money. They’re cheap and there’s nothing you can’t weld with it. And you can definitely “grow in” to it in skill and project size.
Same shoes as me.

I've got an older Miller Synchrowave, stick and tig.

I need to get better at tig, but will never outgrow the units abilities.

FOS373

Lil-Rokslider
I was you a couple of years ago and bought a Miller 215 on recommendations from some real welder friends.

It MIGs well - I also have the aluminum spool gun.
Stick - ehhh. I have used it a bit for stick and it does ok. My welder neighbor also has a 215 that he uses for MIG quite a bit, but will break out a real stick machine when it is time.
TIG - I try and suck at TIG so can't really comment too much.

Right now it is at the top of your budget but they have a $250 rebate which seems pretty common place.

You might consider a hobart 210 as well. Made by miller. Many of the same exact parts.
This is the one I bought. dual voltage, gas and flux core capable. Made by Miller. I've had pro welders use it and even at 110, they said it was super hot for a "budget" welder. I've done all my jeep work as well as several friends and that and a bottle can be had for about a grand. (maybe more now) Great rig for the money.

Have a lincoln 256 that gets used everyday. Its built well and just works. That said it will get replaced with a Miller at some point. As I just dont like it

Now the lil lincoln 210mp doesnt get used alot. But thats a very nice little welder.

KenLee

WKR
Agreed on the tig. I know without a doubt where the wire is going

Since you're a novice, go with a wirefeed, not "MIG". Although "MIG" is a wire feed process, it's more advanced for a beginner. The wire spool you'd use has flux either in the core or outside so you'll have to chip and brush the slag away between (bead) passes.

Get a machine that has auto and manual adjust. Use auto until you get familiar with travel speed and puddle control. Without a firm grasp of these, you'll wonder what you were thinking in wanting to learn the weld.

I'm partial to Miller.

KBC

WKR
I have a Miller 211 and it’s been great at home. It will do reasonably well at heavier duty home stuff. The dual voltage was a selling feature for me but I have 220 in the garage and have never used the 110. You need a bigger breaker and correct plug for it anyways so you can’t just take it anywhere. It came with the spool gun for aluminum but I’ve never used it yet.
At work we have a Miller 252 and a spool gun I get to play with once in awhile. If I was getting into heavier duty stuff and welding a lot, I’d look at one of these but the price is a lot more than a 211.

One last note, usually the Miller and Lincoln units in the big box stores have cheaper internals than the ones sold at specialized tool places even if they both are 180 models. The actual model numbers will be a bit different.

I love welding, nothing like building something or fixing something so many people can’t do. A few repairs here and there and it will have paid for itself easily.

OP
nrh6.7

nrh6.7

WKR
Both the welders you mention are fine machines. I always preferred the Lincoln, but that's just me. You mention you will be doing garage work. to what extend will that be? if you think there will come a time where you will be using it a lot, make sure to check on the duty cycle of the machine you are looking at.
Honestly, I'm not exactly sure what all I would do with a welder. At some point I'd like to build a small utility trailer, which would probably be the largest thing I would make.
You might consider a hobart 210 as well. Made by miller. Many of the same exact parts.
I forgot to mention I'd looked at these also and I thought they might be a Miller product. Thanks.
What do you think you will wind up wanting to weld in the future?

As in, do you expect to need/want to weld aluminum or stainless?
I don't really have any expectations on what I want to build. Regarding aluminum, I want something that would handle aluminum in case I decided to try, but I think most decent units will run a spool gun.
From my perspective : take the class first then buy what will fit your needs and skills. An excellant high priced machine is a waste of money in the hands of a cluts welder.
Agreed and am looking into this.
If I were getting a transformer mig, it would be the handler 210. It's 99% of the miller at a fraction of the cost. If I wanted more, I'd be looking at multi process iverter based rigs.
Glad to hear another vote for the Hobart.

I have a Hobart 210mvp with a spool runner. I fix/fab a lot of things with it from my duck boat to my trucks. If you get into it, you’ll want to TIG, but you can still use your mig to do a lot of things. I guess it depends on your budget and what you plan in welding. Don’t expect to get deep penetration with any of the welders that you listed.

jimh406

WKR
MIG is wire feed whether it is flux core or not. I have an older Miller 210 that I use with gas and also have a spool gun for Aluminum. One of the things you pay for with a Miller is improved duty cycle compared to Hobart, and of course, reliability. It will cost you more money.

I really like the idea of lighter models that can run on 110 or 220. There are a few times that it would just be handy. My 210 is 220 only, btw. A welder with two large tanks is really heavy.

Fluxcore is an advantage outside and of course, you don't have tanks.

Think about what projects he wants (you want) to do and decide on what process makes the most sense for you. Welders aren't that complicated. Welders with a good duty cycle and long term reliability is what you pay for.