Buying My First Suppressor - Insanely Easy

Just posting this with the hopes that someone might find it encouraging and decide to move forward themselves. I’ve been hemming and hawing over buying my first can for a few years but finally went ahead and walked into Scheels with the intention of buying one. An hour later, I walked out with the process in full swing.

I don’t know about other shops but Scheels was turnkey. I paid for the suppressor and the stamp fee (or whatever it is, you’ll have to excuse my lack of knowledge regarding proper terms and form #s, etc.) up front. Then I filled out a form similar to buying any gun. Heck, might’ve been the same form. Then we did fingerprints via an electronic scanner of sorts, and they took my photo right there at the gun counter. The fingerprints did take a couple runs to get everything perfect and took the majority of the time. I got set up with an eform account and I’m sure a few other things.

The entire thing was completely painless. I’d turned the whole process in my mind into something it isn’t. All in all, it takes a bit longer but to me it was about like buying a gun. Not a big deal at all!

If the process seems daunting, maybe try Scheels if you have one nearby. They walked me through it and I’m sure I’m going to end up with another can soon. TOO EASY! The wait for approval, on the other hand, won’t be easy…

What supressor did you buy? Bought an Omega 300 from them and couldn't agree more. They made the process super simple.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I wish they made you show proof of suppressor ownership to buy a box of 5.56 or 9mm. The world would be a less annoying place.

It used to be a nightmare! Agreed, now it couldn’t be much easier unless they went ahead and abolished the NFA (wishful thinking)!

Sled

WKR
I wish they made you show proof of suppressor ownership to buy a box of 5.56 or 9mm. The world would be a less annoying place.

Strange wish. I'd wish the atf wasn't part of the process. Then I'd go out to the mountains and leave the gun range to the people with hearing damage.

Antares

WKR
I've never understood what all the fussing is about (besides the stupid long wait time). I can go to Walmart and get passport photos in 10 min, go to my local shop and spend 20 min doing finger prints... ::drumroll::... that's it...

Northpark

WKR
Ya I did the silencershop kiosk thing. Super easy. In and out in 30 minutes. 6 months later got my first can. Two months after that the second one came through. Think I need a third one already.

OP
MTMeatHunter
What supressor did you buy? Bought an Omega 300 from them and couldn't agree more. They made the process super simple.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I picked up the Harvester Evo. I think it’ll make a decent hunting suppressor and from there, I’ll branch out if I want quieter, etc. Seemed like guys who know about this stuff (not me) deemed it a decent option for the class it’s in.

I got my first suppressor in 2010. I bought 7 suppressors in Oct-Dec of 2021.

Buying a Magnus when I wake up in the morning!

I kinda like them too!

The entire thing was completely painless. I’d turned the whole process in my mind into something it isn’t. All in all, it takes a bit longer but to me it was about like buying a gun. Not a big deal at all!
I did the same thing, and held off way too long as well. We are so accustomed to the government complicating simple s#@t beyond recognition that it probably skewed our thoughts about a suppressor.