Buying guns on forum

I’m on another forum currently looki at a rifle I have been trying to find for a while, I talked to the seller over the phone and had him send me some more pictures of the rifle, he has about 20 people that have bought from him on that forum and it’s all good feedback, I asked if he could go through gunbroker or use guntab as payment … he’s asking for a certified check, any thoughts on this ? I have never bought a rifle over a forum but I also have been looking for this specific rifle for a while now

83cj-7

WKR
I’ve bought and sold several rifles on forums using certified checks and I’ve never had problems. I’m just cautious to make sure I talk to the individual on the phone and have several pictures sent with something like my name and current date and time, proving it’s legit. If you even get one red flag, run.

OP
Joshuajosh
I’ve bought and sold several rifles on forums using certified checks and I’ve never had problems. I’m just cautious to make sure I talk to the individual on the phone and have several pictures sent with something like my name and current date and time, proving it’s legit. If you even get one red flag, run.
How do you protect yourself in the case that you send the check and they don’t send the item ? I’ve ran across 0 red flags but I wasn’t sure if there is any sort of protection when sending a check

83cj-7

WKR
There really isn’t any protection no matter how you send payment or where you buy from. It truly is somewhat of a gamble. I’ve actually had a couple bad experiences on Gunbroker but never on a forum.

OP
Joshuajosh
There really isn’t any protection no matter how you send payment or where you buy from. It truly is somewhat of a gamble. I’ve actually had a couple bad experiences on Gunbroker but never on a forum.
Damn that sucks… I want this rifle but It certainly could be a risk it sounds like …

OP
Joshuajosh
He has the forum reviews … he has a gunbroker account and he also has his own ffl that he provided

83cj-7

WKR
Just last week I bought a rifle from a forum member that had very little feedback. I talked to him on the phone and agreed to the purchase. He kept in touch with me via text and it was a smooth as butter. It does make curious if you can stop payment on a certified check if there was a problem.

OP
Joshuajosh
Just last week I bought a rifle from a forum member that had very little feedback. I talked to him on the phone and agreed to the purchase. He kept in touch with me via text and it was a smooth as butter. It does make curious if you can stop payment on a certified check if there was a problem.
How did you pay?

Loggerdude

Lil-Rokslider
i have all my stuff insured $100 a year, if I’m buying I get pictures of the item serial number and have a phone conversation with the seller. Sometimes do FaceTime. If it comes up missing it’s considered stole I’m covered.
Never had any problem, these forums are moderated very well by members and staff.

I have purchased a few firearms off of forums. I paid for each one with a USPS money order. I never had any issues.
Most important thing would be your communication with the seller. Ask lots of questions. Ask for unusual specific pics if it makes you feel better.

WildBoose

FNG
I bought one from a gentleman on this forum. Called and spoke with him over the phone....I knew he was legit within the first 30 seconds. Sent a certified check to the FFL what was mailing the gun for him. I guess in a round about way we used the FFL as a middle man.

I have found that feedback and interaction with the seller are important. Good feedback over a number of transactions generally establish a pattern and help to minimize risk.. Not knowing the seller and his situation I wouldn't be too quick to back away based upon his payment method preference.. Sometimes a sale can result in tax implications for the seller.. The seller also has to minimize his risk.. I have found Rokslide and a few other forums to really push their members to establish creditability of their members (on both sides of the transaction)... You have been given some really good advice.. Personal communication, questions/answers should help you establish a "gut" feel for the person. If, in your gut, it doesn't feel right then back away... Good scammers know how to appeal to your "just can't live without it" state of mind so if if the deal is just too good to be true it, it probably is.. Just one more case where feedback is important and should always be left for both the buyer and seller in every transaction.. They don't call it a "profile" for nothing.. Good people treat people the way they want to be treated, bad people don't .. Plain and simple.. All the best.. Let us know what you decide and how things go.. Also, I would recommend that new members start small (buyers and sellers), establish good standing(creditability), then look at making bigger deals.. I wouldn't send a person who just became a member my hard earned money for a gun, but I probably would for some bullets, a hat, etc, etc... Remember too that you as a buyer are establishing yourself to the community of members..

I've bought and sold many long guns on another forum, but all of those have been in person transactions. I love the Classifieds section on here, but the risk/reward of buying a gun isn't there for me.

SC HUNTER

FNG
I'm a new member here and recently sold an encore frame and barrel. I know I'm a new guy and provided my username on another site where I have around 30 feedback buying and selling. It's the same profile picture for both sites. I'll gladly talk to anybody on the phone and will send weird picture upon request as long as it's not onlyfans weird. It's a gamble but it is what it is. If the guy has an ffl and seems legit I'd buy the rifle.