Buying a d shaped longbow

mrmorton

FNG
I have shot trad archery for a while and know that recurves are more efficient than trad longbows excluding reflex/deflex. I want to get a regular longbow and a cheap one at that. my budget is 400 bucks. Will 50# be enough for elk? I have a 29" draw length and will be shooting arrows appropriate for big game hunting. I feel that a longbow at 50# wont be enough but if someone has/or knows somebody that has killed an elk with a discount longbow speak up and give me some details about the bow/arrow setup that was used.

Thanks guys

ZDR

WKR
The Bear Patriot is a nice bow, good speed and smooth shooter and should be in your price range. The ultimate D shaped LB would be a Howard Hill. They used to have 'a finish it yourself blank' that was much cheaper than a finished bow. Many elk have been taken with that bow and with a sharp broad head and heavy arrow it will be deadly. BTW, 50lbs at 29" is much better than 50@27 or 28" draw.

Z

G Posik

WKR
The D shaped long bow will do TH trick at 50#. I have buddies that hunt elk with self bows. Like you said with a arrow set up proper and sharp you will be fine. $400 you should be able to find a good used now for that. I have bought used custom bows that people swear are used, and paid in the $350 range. What length are you looking for? Any type of woods? I come across good bows for sale all the time. Let me know and I will keep an eye open for you.

Glenn

OP
M

mrmorton

FNG
I dont have any particular wood or color im in love with. I want it to be as efficient as a d shaped longbow can be. I want to stay shorter then 64". I know for a fact i can draw and hold a 60# recurve for about 15 to 20 seconds on rested shoulders but I always felt like the weight was making me less accurate. When I was shooting a 45# recurve one day i was spot on. I have a love hate relationship with trad archery. I love to do it but i hate the accuracy compared to compound bows.

marc

Lil-Rokslider
There was a Whippenstick classic for sale cheap on the leatherwall lately. You won't find a better D bow than what Ken builds.

My first bow that I bought for myself was a used 51# bow that I got for half price at $450. I killed my first few animals with it. I still have it and shoot it on occasion. You can get some great used bows for about $400 if you are willing to be patient, look around and do your research.

50# is on the lower end but should be plenty with sharp broadheads and good shot placement.

Beendare

WKR
You sure you want a D shaped longbow?

You might want to try one out first and see if you still think that way....and if you still have all of your fillings- grin

slvrslngr

WKR
Try and find a used Liberty Contender. They are actually a mild d/r when unstrung, but D shaped when strung.

JDeanP

Lil-Rokslider
Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear in Colorado usually has a good selection of used bows. They keep a pretty accurate inventory on their website as well.