Buy or rent Satellite communication??

ODB

WKR
A tip on the battery…you don’t need to leave it on at night, or at all. You can leave it off and if you need SOS just hit and hold the button for 5 seconds. . It will turn itself on and send the SOS on confirm.

The batteries are pretty damn good. Like @CorbLand , my battery still charges all the way to 100% and lasts a damn long time.

CorbLand

WKR
A tip on the battery…you don’t need to leave it on at night, or at all. You can leave it off and if you need SOS just hit and hold the button for 5 seconds. . It will turn itself on and send the SOS on confirm.

The batteries are pretty damn good. Like @CorbLand , my battery still charges all the way to 100% and lasts a damn long time.
I rarely actually turn mine on. Generally before I leave for the hunt, then in the morning to send a preset to the wife around midday to see if I got any texts and at night when I need to send a preset to the wife again. Other than that, it is turned off.

Only time I had it on for the full day was when my buddy was with me and his wife was 2 weeks out from her due date.

Reactions: ODB
I got my inreach mini initially for backpack trips but since it’s so small I find myself taking it along on even day hunts just in case. I also take it kayak fishing in the ocean, four wheeling etc. there’s plenty of dead spots even on the road especially up the coast that’d suck to not be able to get help if needed so I figure why not take it since I have it. In my opinion it’s not a bad thing to purchase over renting. If I remember correctly there is an option to pause the service if you are definitely not going to be using it for awhile but I just pay for the minimum service which I think is about $12/ mo and just pay for the overages when I do use it more. I think the most I paid was an extra $5 once when I first got it and was using it quite a bit to spend some time figuring out how it worked and how well it worked.

Make sure to include shipping, setup and return time in the rental duration, if you go that way. And a backup plan?

I rented some high-$ electronics for a hunt once and called a few days beforehand to check. No record of order. Priority shipping-fail. Shipping to hunt-area hotel-fail. Cancelled on the way home from a 3-day hunt. The credit card company refunded me after the investigation.

OP
treeratslayer24

treeratslayer24

Lil-Rokslider
I rarely actually turn mine on. Generally before I leave for the hunt, then in the morning to send a preset to the wife around midday to see if I got any texts and at night when I need to send a preset to the wife again. Other than that, it is turned off.

Only time I had it on for the full day was when my buddy was with me and his wife was 2 weeks out from her due date.
Hats off to his wife on letting him go haha I hope he bought her a heck of a gift!