Business

I don't think anyone can even tell what happened here.

Use some punctuation and explain. Did someone text you, claiming to be him? Did you send money via PayPal, Zelle, Venmo?

OP
N
I don't think anyone can even tell what happened here.

Use some punctuation and explain. Did someone text you, claiming to be him? Did you send money via PayPal, Zelle, Venmo?
Sorry now that I’m not busy and near as frustrated I can probably explain. A guy messaged me claiming to be Rossi aka the guy selling the bow cams I need. We agreed on a price for the cams plus shipping. I then sent him that payment via PayPal. He then stated he was going to ship the item today, other wise he wouldn’t be able to until next Monday. He told me he was going to fedex, when he “got to fedex” he realized it was going to be more expensive than imagined to ship. I told him that I was busy at work at the moment but if he would cover it and give shipping info I would then send him the extra money for how much ever extra the cost was. What did I have to lose I was already 85 dollars in. After that the communication went down hill and seemed sketchy to me which made me nervous/ anxious from previously being scammed. I got a little bit frustrated but in the end he came back and said his phone had died but he ended up shipping the item. I told him to send me shipping info and I would pay him. To this point I have still not received shipping info or any text at all really.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry now that I’m not busy and near as frustrated I can probably explain. A guy messaged me claiming to be Rossi aka the guy selling the bow cams I need. We agreed on a price for the cams plus shipping. I then sent him that payment via PayPal. He then stated he was going to ship the item today, other wise he wouldn’t be able to until next Monday. He told me he was going to fedex, when he “got to fedex” he realized it was going to be more expensive than imagined to ship. I told him that I was busy at work at the moment but if he would cover it and give shipping info I would then send him the extra money for how much ever extra the cost was. What did I have to lose I was already 85 dollars in. After that the communication went down hill and seemed sketchy to me which made me nervous/ anxious from previously being scammed. I got a little bit frustrated but in the end he came back and said his phone had died but he ended up shipping the item. I told him to send me shipping info and I would pay him. To this point I have still not received shipping info or any text at all really.
Can I ask what the extra shipping amount was?

Not by this same person I use to buy and sell shoes online and got scammed a time or two back then. Never a good feeling though.

Search the word scam/scammed using the toolbar. There's plenty of reading to be done on the topic.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Noahlinton

Rossi has been a member here for over 12 years. I doubt Rossi would scam you out of $85.00 and risk getting banned as a member for 12+ years.

Here is what I believe happened.

You put your phone number on an open forum - which is asking for trouble. You did business via text instead of on the forum – which again is asking for trouble. You didn’t pay attention to what Rossi posted. He actually stated in writing on the forum he would not be able to ship until August 12th. If the person you were communicating with told you they were shipping it immediately why wouldn’t you ask what happened to shipping it on the 12th? Also, I’m assuming you did not pay with PayPal goods and services – which was another mistake if that’s what you did.

I believe someone else other than Rossi got your phone number from the forum and initiated contact via text and scammed you.

Send me the phone number you were texting to via p.m. not on an open forum and I can try to verify if it was the member I banned for scamming attempts.

OP
N
@Noahlinton

Rossi has been a member here for over 12 years. I doubt Rossi would scam you out of $85.00 and risk getting banned as a member for 12+ years.

You put your phone number on an open forum - which is asking for trouble. You did business via text instead of on the forum – which again is asking for trouble. You didn’t pay attention to what Rossi posted. He actually stated in writing on the forum he would not be able to ship until August 12th. If the person you were communicating with told you they were shipping it immediately why wouldn’t you ask what happened to shipping it on the 12th? Also, I’m assuming you did not pay with PayPal goods and services – which was another mistake if that’s what you did.

I believe someone else other than Rossi got your phone number from the forum and initiated contact via text and scammed you.

Send me the phone number you were texting to via p.m. not on an open forum and I can try to verify if it was the member I banned for scamming attempts.
I know there were some issues, I guess I was just in a rush to get them ordered rather than wait the proper 7 days to do business in the classifieds and be able to pm people, as hunting season is coming up in my state and I wanted to get some practice in before the season with the different length. The guy told me that he could ship yesterday but after that he wouldn’t be able to ship again until Monday the 12 so it somewhat lined up. The guy also sent me pics of the cams which I did reverse image search and didn’t see where they were from another site or stolen pics. The guy also sent me a pic of him holding his ID front and back trying to assure me he was safe. I will pm you about this when I’ve reached the 7 day mark and can pm people. I hate this happened I should’ve took my time and not been in such a rush. I don’t want to get any honest member in trouble for the actions of someone posing as them.

OP
N
Yeah, I hate how rokslide tries to keep everyone from getting scammed.

It's super lame how I feel comfortable sending people I've never met in person money knowing they'll send me the stuff.
I get It I get it I was just frustrated at the time figured I was dealing with the real guy and figured he would be genuine since he had been a member for so long looking back now I’m pretty sure it was just someone posing as him that talked to me I understand the rule and why it’s in place because that is a very great thing to vet people because let’s be honest we all want to be honest people here and having someone scam you or something like that is really discouraging I shouldn’t have said anything about the rule in the first place the rule didn’t do anything to me the guy posing as the other guy and my negligence and impatience is what caused me trouble

7mm-08

WKR
@Noahlinton

This is EXACTLY what happened to me a month or less ago. Being the dumbass I am, I put my personal cell number on a classified ad or ads years ago when scamming wasn't part of the landscape. And, it came back to haunt me.

What I will say is that the moderators on this forum are ON IT and I worked through that situation unscathed. Not sucking up, but Rokslide's moderators are fabulous.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is EXACTLY what happened to me a month or less ago. Being the dumbass I am, I put my personal cell number on a classified ad or ads years ago when scamming wasn't part of the landscape. And, it came back to haunt me.

What I will say is that the moderators on this forum are ON IT and I worked through that situation unscathed. Not sucking up, but Rokslide's moderators are fabulous.
Thanks 7MM. Your suck up check is in the mail.

OP
N

Yeah it’s came full circle now one of the moderators contacted me, thanks @philos , but fortunately it wasn’t a massive amount of money I got scammed out of just poor judgement on my end and not being as cautious as I should but I can now saw I see the potential that is in this forum and how it could be used for good, at the end of the day we have to realize we’re all in this together in the archery/ hunting world, I think that’s why it dissapointed me so bad in the beginning but luckily we got it figured out and now I just have to take care of it or count my loss on my end and move forward. I also want to say on this thread an apology to @Rossi for getting frustrated and even dropping the nasty comment I did I was under the impression who I was dealing with was you and I found out the hard way it was not.