Bumped my first buck, can I go back?

Christopher.Reed

Lil-Rokslider
As the title states, I bumped my first buck today and he was a nice one for this area and I’m wondering how long until I can hunt that area?

I have been primarily “still hunting” as it’s my first full season of hunting deer and I feel like it provides me the best opportunity to find and learn about sign while enhancing my limited woodcraft skillset. This afternoon I spotted a buck (hill country old growth woods) at about 80 yards. With the wind in my face I thought I could put a stalk on him but regardless of how daintily i tried to saunter, to him I apparently sounded like a herd of water Buffalo as he stopped to look my direction several times.

I was able to close to within 60 yards but as a new bow hunter, I wasn’t confident in the shot so I tried to inch closer. If I had experience, I’m sure it would have told me to sit tight as he had already looked at me several times but unfortunately, I didn’t have any. After he flashed his magnificent white tail while effortlessly bounding away, he was kind enough to give me a taunting grunt that sounded suspiciously like “better luck next time chump”.

Obviously the gig was up at this point but I noticed some decent trees in the vicinity that I could throw my saddle in and hope he comes back in the future. I waited about 10 minutes and pulled back out the way that I came in but wasn’t sure if I had spoiled this spot which I just happened across or if I could come back in a few days/weeks later and have any hope of taking him down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Give it a few days, watch the wind, sounds to me you did not bump him to hard. Lesson learned there your not going to put the sneak on a deer especially a older deer especially in the woods. The first time he looked at you you were beat, the best thing I would of done is stand up aginst the nearest tree and hope his curiosity got the best of him and let the deer close the distance maybe. Sounds to me like the deer just run a short ways and stopped its a game of cat and mouse, perhaps if you had a grunt tube and answered him back he might of came back.

Last edited:

WI Shedhead

Lil-Rokslider
If you found a mature deer in daylight hours this time of year Thiers a chance that your very near his core area. Look over your topo maps of the area and find the pinch points or transition areas that a deer will use the wind to his advantage to travel through and hunt the downwind side of those. Taking care of entrance and exit routes and to ideally have the majority of traffic upwind of you.

Did I mention that wind thing? Nature deee live with thier noses

Ahiuranch

FNG
If I bump a buck I usually give it a week, these animals live in the wild and your not the only predator they have to face. If you bump him over and over in a really close time frame then he’ll probably say it’s not safe here let me find a new spot, but he picked that area for a reason so most of the time they wanna stay around there.

Yoder

WKR
He didn't smell you. He probably didn't know what you were. I wouldn't sweat it. Wait a week or two and go back. Either that or wait for better stalking conditions and go back. Maybe try to setup close by to get a shot when he exits his bed.