Bullet recommendations for 30-06 Elk

Never had the opportunity for elk yet but a long time whitetail hunter ( I know a good bit of difference between. A elk and a whitetail) but old school is sometimes the best school know your capabilities and go REMINGTON 180 CORE LOKT they are proven and been around a long time for a reason.

WKR
Wonder what Lamb and Hathcock were shooting in the land of eternal green that was old school then but still works now. Weren’t no Barnes around then SEMPER FI - 0351-0352-8411
173 Lake City match. And I believe Jim Land said the Model 70 that Hathcock used was not MOA. But apparently Hathcock was able to consistently shoot up to the rifle’s capability in field situations.

JGTWI

WKR
I’ll add another vote for the 175gr Federal Terminal Ascent. It shot great out of my Ruger 30-06, which is my primary whitetail gun. Took it out west last year for my first elk hunt and it did the job with 1 shot at about 315 yds. He dropped after a few steps.

173 Lake City match. And I believe Jim Land said the Model 70 that Hathcock used was not MOA. But apparently Hathcock was able to consistently shoot up to the rifle’s capability in field situations.
Seems to show a point the heavier the bullet the more accuracy you can squeeze out of it and the MOA is dependent on the skills of the shooter in correlation to the ability of the rifle,I do know the 175gr sierras loaded to mil,specs related to long range ball using exact lake city load data, for the mod 700 XCR in .308 is extremely accurate out to 600 yds. And this is basically a stock rifle topped with TRACT glass, That is as far as I can now shoot. So guess the issue here is for the original poster to try a variety of ammunition in his specific rifle the information passed along here should be used as a starting point. One also needs to see the difference between a hunting bullet for animals and one designed lets say for targets.

WKR
…….mod 700 XCR in .308 is extremely accurate out to 600 yds. And this is basically a stock rifle topped with TRACT glass, That is as far as I can now shoot.
If you are consistently in the kill zone at 600 with a stock rifle from field positions (way different than a built rifle from bench/bipod) that’s deadly on another level.

The slow fire stage in high power/service rifle match is 20 shots at 600 from prone using a shooting sling but no other support. The 10 ring is 12”, or 2 MOA. 2 MOA probably sounds pitiful to some 1/2 minute, bipod, rear bag obsessed people here. But not every shooter can put 20 shots in a 12” circle at 600 from prone with a sling wrap consistently.

Know what you call a shooter who shoots 2 MOA consistently from field positions? Deadly. You call him deadly.

It has took a lot or rounds down range to get to this point I am a hunter and feel I need to take every opportunity to tune my skills one owes it too the animal you hunt. The 600 yd deal is for fun only on steel My self imposed limit on hunting is 4-450 yards last antelope I killed was at 416 yards good clean shot prone off my pack, getting older now of days and it takes a lot to stay in the 10 ring now of days, currently laid up with carpal tunnel operations so it will be a while until I get back on the trigger I am sure it will be a catch up game. But the thread was about what is the best bullet for elk this was a exercise for me to attempt to show its not always the newest brands but ones ability to get it delivered in the right spot for a quick clean kill.