Bull Beds and Dry Wallows

cnelk

WKR
Just got back from hunting the first 9 days in Colorado.

I took a couple pics that I thought would be helpful to identify a bull’s bed and a ‘dry wallow’.

As you can see, the bull’s bed is quite protected from sunlight and also difficult to see into. The bed was located under the two overhanging deadfalls.

The dry wallow was used early in the morning on two consecutive days. It’s kinda hard to see, but the dirt is dry where they roll and damp around it.

7339CB68-5DF3-46D5-AE46-3A60531CADD5.jpeg

FED55C32-511E-4AE6-9576-4CD32FFF44CB.jpeg

Teedubb

FNG
Thanks for the info. As a total beginner I had no idea “dry wallows” existed and always thought of wallows as marshy mud pits with a pungent smell. What are some key features to look for and how could you tell if it was used recently?

Gerbdog

WKR
Thanks for the info. As a total beginner I had no idea “dry wallows” existed and always thought of wallows as marshy mud pits with a pungent smell. What are some key features to look for and how could you tell if it was used recently?
They create the dry wallows by pissing on the ground and then rolling in it .... so best way to tell its been used I suppose is.... how strong does it smell? Cause its gonna reek

Good info there for the new elk hunter. I think a lot of guys walk by dry wallows and don’t know what they’re looking at. I tend to see more dry wallows in areas where bulls bed a good distance from water (>1 mile) before the peak rut when they move to find cows since cows will generally locate themselves closer to water.

Marble

WKR
I found one last year in a spot i had just walked past the night before. It had been done overnight. The bull basically raked the crap out of a low bush next to a tiny creek and made a bare spot about 4 feet in diameter.

Ill be in that spot monday....

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk