Bulk .223 Bullets - Anyone Try RMR 75gr BTHP?

SloppyJ

WKR
Just built a rifle and while I'm waiting on my 6CM barrel to be completed I snagged a .223, 1:7 twist off the classifieds to practice with. I wanted a .223 for all of the reasons that everyone else does. I want to practice more and use it to become a better shooter while not breaking the bank or burning out barrels. Not sure if there are any nuances to loading .223 but I dove in with a couple of dies.

I have 1000 cases to load, varget, 450s, and the only thing I'm missing are bullets. I've tried some 75gr ELDMs and 85.5 Bergers. Bergers are going to be a no go for cost and the 75gr ELDMs aren't horrible but I think I can do better. My barrel has enough freebore that the limiting factor becomes my MDT mags at ~2.5". I can run the 75gr ELDM to feed in the mags with about 12thou jump so I'm looking for something that's decently long so I don't have to have a huge jump and can tune it.

I came across RMR and when ordering their 75gr BTHP you can get 1,000 for around 0.16 each. Before I end up with a bag full of bullets that suck, has anyone tried them? I've been searching and this seems to be about the best deal I can find.

Is it worth messing with these cheaper bullets or just paying ~$0.20 each for some hornady 68gr or 75gr BTHP? At the end of the day I'm trying to see improvement and I'd hate to have to run through a ton of these if they are no good.

What's everyone else using for heavier .223 reloads?

I recently just bought 1k. They don’t shoot any worse than the eldm in my rifle, but I did have to seat them a bit deeper to get there. The separated bullet was a jug test I done to see how they’d expand and penetration. Not the best scientifically.

Attachments

• IMG_9408.jpeg
    IMG_9408.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_9343.jpeg
    IMG_9343.jpeg
    138.6 KB · Views: 16
I’ve been shooting them since covid timeframe. The 69s shoot great in a few rifles over Benchmark. I picked up 1k of the RMR 75s that were factory seconds. Turns out they’re pretty good in a few gas guns also. Found a solid load with CFE223. I wouldn’t hesitate for target practice.

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Great news. I might give them a go just to test them out and see if I can get a solid load worked up. It sure would be nice to get them dialed in at 16cents a piece.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I just burned through 1000 of them. They are good enough to work, I found groups opened up at higher loadings and powder charge needed to be dropped by about 2 grains. Even then, 77 TMKs and Hornady 75 BTHP still shot better. Of course, 2 grains less powder makes for even cheaper practice rounds.

I do not adjust seating depth between bullets and the die stays set up for TMKs for loading all three. The RMR could be moved forward a hundredth or so without going over mag length.

Accuracy was not bad, and I could ring steel at 400.

It really depends on your needs, for me, it is worth 8 cents more a shot to just use Hornady 75 BTHP. However, if just trying to get some volume down range, saving $80 might be worth it.

Last edited:

Firth

FNG
I've played with them a bit. My standard cheap load in my Tikka 223 has been the Hornady 75 bthp, but I've also shot quite a few with the 73 eldm. I'm not going to say every 10-shot group with those bullets in that gun has been sub MOA, but more often than not they have been. Nothing tuned about the loads, just a generic stuff thrown together with a turret press and I use it in multiple firearms. I bought 1k of the 75 3GH from rmr when they first came out. I've tried a couple different powders but haven't played with seating depth or done much with different charge weights. I was hoping for something easy like the above mentioned bullets. I'd have to go check my notes but I think everything was 1.75 to 2.0 moa for 10 shot groups. Good enough for a lot of positional shooting, but I was hoping for more.

AK4570

FNG
I'm shooting the RMR 69 over 23gn Benchmark loaded to max AR mag length, CCI 400, and lightly crimped. They are my go-to practice round out of Tikkas and ARs.

I've looked at the 75s and may pick up a few to try the next time I put in an order

Best regards,
John

OP
SloppyJ

SloppyJ

WKR
Found some hornady 75gr HPBTs for 0.16ea. I loaded up on 2k of them for that price along with some more 450s with free shipping.

I don't want to be hamstrung by the bullets and for the same price, the hornadys were a no-brainer. I'll keep my eye on them but this 2k should last me a bit. Glad that there's some feedback on these things. Would love to hear from anyone else who has experience with them. So far they seem good enough but I want consistency and similar loading to what I run the 75gr ELDMs and what I hope to run the 77tmks at if I can ever find any.

SamsonMan22

Lil-Rokslider
I am not a fan of them, I still have around 700 of them I’m trying to get through but it’s painful. The worst my rifle has shot with other bullets has been 1.8moa for 30 rounds the average is somewhere around 1.3moa. The RMR 75g is at best a 2.7moa shooter in multiple rifles I have shot them in. I bought 2k of them but once I finally get through them I won’t be buying more. For the money the Hornady 75s are my pick as a practice bullet.