Building my own tipi

OP
couesbitten
Ironman, I'm laughing, because you know what,................if I would have known that the Shangri-La 5 was going to go on sale for that price, I never would have gone this route. But now it's done, and I'm willing to see it through to the end, and Ches and bearguide are both right, when it's done, there will definatley be a level of satisfaction to having done it myself. If it turns out well, I suspect that my brother's and I may end up building one or two more, because they spend as much time out there as I do. I've still given some thought to buying an SL-5 anyway.

MIKEYB

WKR
TTT since DIY sewing has come up recently. What about this idea? Coues did you ever get around to this? I'm very interested in giving some of these sewing projects a shot.

OP
couesbitten
I haven't, and to be honest, the biggest obstacle was the intimidation of getting started on the project and having it overwhelm me. That being said, I've since sewn a few items, and am feeling more confident in my abilities, and am plannin on starting this project soon. I think this is one of those projects, that once I start it, I won't want to stop until it's complete. I will take some pictures and post them as it progresses.

wetzel

FNG
I'm really close to starting a project like this. What type of material were you planning on using for the tipi peak and the reinforcement spots at the bottom where the seams meet? What were you going to use for peg tie offs? I was thinking of 1000d codura for the peak and seam reinforcements.

wetzel

FNG
Kifaru Sells their tipi poles as well. I was just curious if there was anything else cheaper. 175 dollars is a lot of money, though maybe in this case you get what you pay for.

OP
couesbitten
Without tracking down the original sales receipt, I'm thinking it was about $35 - $40. It's a 3/4" Easton aluminum pole, six sections, 8' long, I will cut it down to size when I complete the tent.

This may be a dumb question but....would the cuben material add any significant advantage over the silnylon? Am I correct in that the cuben is only stronger than silnylon or does it have another advantage? Is silnylon strong enough or abrasion resistant enough? Somebody please discuss the differences between cuben and silnylon? Thanks, Mike
Mike, Cuben is significantly lighter weight. Silnylon is like 1.1oz/yd where Cuben is more like 0.5oz/yd.