Building a rifle stock

After reading all of @Decker9 post on building stocks I figured I would give it a go. Never done anything like this but I’ve spent quite a bit of time doing trim carpentry so I figure if I take my time I can get it together.

I started with a walnut blank from a local furniture maker. I planed it on the flats to get a perfect starting point.

I copied my ag composites alpine hunter with the intention of a shorter trigger reach and adding a negative comb with a flatter toe.

I used a new to me bandsaw to cut out the blank and used a chisel and rasp to get me close to my final shape.

Will update as progress continues and I am open to all inputs on the finer points of this art.

Attachments

• IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    219.5 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    195.5 KB · Views: 62
OP
B
It’ll be getting this…

Bighorn origin
Proof sendero chambered in 7 saum
Hawkins hunter dbm

Attachments

• DSC06060.jpeg
    DSC06060.jpeg
    125.6 KB · Views: 27
OP
B
Currently most of the way through I letting the barrel and action. Has taken a pause due to me reassembling the rifle in the old stock for some shoots and a suppressor that just cleared to try it on.

Will update with photos tonight.

OP
B
Bruce, what's going to be your method to cut the barrel and action channel?
The method I’m using is quite slow but it’s working well for me. I’m using scrapers (like curved chisels) and the Jerry fisher large scraper.

@Decker9 has a better method than I it seems. However this being my first one I was being super careful not to remove too much material.