Budget/used pack for wife

Any recommendations or used options on an internal frame pack for my wife? Really don’t want to drop $300+ as she will only be joining on hunts every couple of years and occasional camping trips. We had an old frame pack last year that the frame bent on while she was carrying a rear quarter and the belt tore her hips apart so need a replacement for this fall.

Ideally will find something around 3500ish cuin capacity with dual hip pockets. I’ve been looking at the kelty coyote 60 but not sure if the frame will hold up to elk quarters.

Screen Shot 2023-04-01 at 10.14.31 AM.png

sndmn11

WKR
How tall is she and waist size?
Where are you located?
Why an internal frame?
Is she just packing meat? Day hunting and packing meat? Walking in to bivy and packing meat?

OP
K
How tall is she and waist size?
Where are you located?
Why an internal frame?
Is she just packing meat? Day hunting and packing meat? Walking in to bivy and packing meat?
She's about 5'7 110# 26" waist
Located in Wisconsin
We've had a few external frames and most are pretty bulky. Mainly day camping, occasional 1-3 day bivy hunts and packing meat when we're lucky. She doesn't want anything so big that she can't use it on normal hiking trips.

Ucsdryder

WKR
I got my wife a mystery pack at Sierra trading post. Price was right and it fit her correctly. It’ll haul as much as she can handle.

OP
K
If my wife were willing to carry an elk quarter, I wouldn't be looking to pinch pennies on her pack. I would buy her the best pack I could afford.
Lol she was convinced that money was best spent on stuff around the house last year but after one mountain experience she’s got a brand new pair of Schnees boots and now hopefully a new pack on the way.

87TT

WKR
If you love her..............................................Buy her an EXO or Kifaru:)

sndmn11

WKR
She's about 5'7 110# 26" waist
Located in Wisconsin
We've had a few external frames and most are pretty bulky. Mainly day camping, occasional 1-3 day bivy hunts and packing meat when we're lucky. She doesn't want anything so big that she can't use it on normal hiking trips.

Here's that thread a few have mentioned.
I think they are 22" frames, may be short for a 5' 7" person with elk quarters.
https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/exo-k3-exs-rg.305234/

I think your budget is going to be the biggest obstacle in finding a pack that isn't a 1 trip bandaid. Last year Kuiu had a 30% off sale about now that would be something to keep an eye out for. They also have a women specific pack.

Lol she was convinced that money was best spent on stuff around the house last year but after one mountain experience she’s got a brand new pair of Schnees boots and now hopefully a new pack on the way.
I understand. To answer your original question, a used Mystery Ranch is a good value IMO. Pack fit is the most important part though, which is hard to judge without actually trying it on.

OP
K
I understand. To answer your original question, a used Mystery Ranch is a good value IMO. Pack fit is the most important part though, which is hard to judge without actually trying it on.
Yes, I have a MR Marshall and love it. She has tried it on and likes the style but a M belt won't cinch down enough for her. Eying up a few used S frame MR packs with about half the capacity of the Marshall.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Budget will be the issue, and don't spend money you don't have.

For her size, I would get an Exo EXS K4 with 22 inch stays and get an extra set of 25 inch stays. That pack would be very usable for regular hiking and will haul heavy.

If you can fit it in the budget, a good pack will be money well spent as you may find she uses it more than you expect.

From a weight purspective, Seek Outside makes great packs that work well (I have two). However, they take fiddling with and are for someone who will mess with their gear. Exo makes packs that are easy to use and just plain work (having used the K2 and K3, I am confident the K4 will be the same).

With money being an issue, a used K3 would be a good option. I disliked the Velcro that held the hip belt together, but most people never had a problem with it.

I will also recommend a used women’s exo, it’s an investment that will serve her for many years

If you want to stay within budget, a women’s mystery ranch pop up 38, they have been on sale a lot lately

Dejhavu

FNG
I bought the Bean Continental. If I need to carry more of a load, I use a Alice with frame, medium. I have a large for winter or big load outs.
For a day ruck the Marmot UL Kompressor isn't too bad.