Budget Starter Gear for a newbie

I think good base layers will make more of a difference than anything. Same with socks. Merino wool and synthetics are the best (merino is better for colder climates imo). First lite is my favorite base layers and Sitka is my favorite outer layers. Go used off here or AT and check out camofire as they constantly have Sitka sales (like today and usually on Saturdays). Figure out what type of hunting you plan to do and get a blind, hang and hunt setup, climber stand, or if hunting private set up a few hang/ladder stands. Make sure to wear a harness if you plan to be in a tree (I was dumb when I first started and never did which is a horrible move). If you are comfortable when you are out there, you will put more time in and be more still increasing your odds of shot chances. No, you don’t need these things but they sure as heck help and it’s what I would start with if I had to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maki35

WKR
For everyone asking I will be hunting in south jersey and I have already obtained my license.
I've hunted in solid colors. Camo isn't a must. But if you like, you can get a camo hoodie or jacket to help break up the pattern. It's usually still warm during NJ bow season. So cold weather gear isn't necessary.
Regarding bagging the meat- check your State regs. I don't think you can leave the carcass behind in NJ.

The post for milkweed is best advice and free.
And I had started out thinking thermals were a "mountain" thing. Totally not true. Thermals and solar heating changes air current all day long. EVERYWHERE.
Deer like security while sleeping. If they see in one direction, and can smell what is behind them, they are relatively safe.
So a common bed scenario is open view downwind and a thick difficult area with wind blowing to the deer.
Good luck

IMO, a rangefinder is a must to hunt with any arrow flinging device. you can kill deer with a crossbow from the ground, but you have a higher margin for tactical errors (move at the wrong time, shifting winds) up in a tree. A saddle set up, hang on with sticks, or climbing stand is nice to have.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
IMO, a rangefinder is a must to hunt with any arrow flinging device. you can kill deer with a crossbow from the ground, but you have a higher margin for tactical errors (move at the wrong time, shifting winds) up in a tree. A saddle set up, hang on with sticks, or climbing stand is nice to have.
Would any sporting goods rangefinder work, or should I get something with a very low margin of error? Do you have any brand recommendations?

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
I think good base layers will make more of a difference than anything. Same with socks. Merino wool and synthetics are the best (merino is better for colder climates imo). First lite is my favorite base layers and Sitka is my favorite outer layers. Go used off here or AT and check out camofire as they constantly have Sitka sales (like today and usually on Saturdays). Figure out what type of hunting you plan to do and get a blind, hang and hunt setup, climber stand, or if hunting private set up a few hang/ladder stands. Make sure to wear a harness if you plan to be in a tree (I was dumb when I first started and never did which is a horrible move). If you are comfortable when you are out there, you will put more time in and be more still increasing your odds of shot chances. No, you don’t need these things but they sure as heck help and it’s what I would start with if I had to start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll consider purchasing some second hand tree stands, thank you for the advice. Do you know any brands/ manufacturers that have the best build quality or what I should look for to determine whether or not the tree stand is built to standard?

all your solid color outdoor backpack clothing will work just fine. Don't let the marketing of outdoor televisions fool you.... gear doesn't kill deer. Play the wind in your favor and become proficient shooting your crossbow and just get out there and learn from your mistakes. You can buy all the gear in the world & it won't make you a good hunter, you just need to get out there and start gaining experience.... oh & have FUN !

Would any sporting goods rangefinder work, or should I get something with a very low margin of error? Do you have any brand recommendations?
IMO, they all work well enough for archery hunting - different story for rifle hunting at long range. In your situation, i'd probably look to the cheapest vortex model with angle compensation and call it good enough.

I'll consider purchasing some second hand tree stands, thank you for the advice. Do you know any brands/ manufacturers that have the best build quality or what I should look for to determine whether or not the tree stand is built to standard?
Buying second hand is a buyer beware situation. The metal is not a concern but the straps age. Be willing to order new ones for a Lone Wolf stand or any stand. They were the best for quite a few years. And I suggest them above almost any other brands. Alpha is the large version and Assault is light enough for mobile hunting.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
Buying second hand is a buyer beware situation. The metal is not a concern but the straps age. Be willing to order new ones for a Lone Wolf stand or any stand. They were the best for quite a few years. And I suggest them above almost any other brands. Alpha is the large version and Assault is light enough for mobile hunting.
https://www.sportsmans.com/hunting-...-treestands-raven-hang-on-treestand/p/1641259
I'm considering this stand here, it is only 69.99$. I am somewhat hesitant on going for the lone wolf due to the price tag, since I don't want to spend too much before I have taken the plunge. I also may just go for a blind instead.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
I ended up purchasing a tidewe rangefinder, will likely get a budget treestand (safety harness and linesmen rope included), and some deodorizer. The only thing I have left to get are some climbing sticks, any suggestions?

Reddish

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting from the ground would be a great way to start. But if you want to get up a tree, a saddle is my favorite option these days. I used to pack stands around, but now I just use a set of climbing sticks and a saddle.

If you're going with stand, make sure you invest in a good harness. Any newer stands are good these days. I use ladders stand for my dad and wife, as they are much easier to get in and out of safely. Choose safety over cheap...falling out isn't fun.

OP
FrancoisStrawman

FrancoisStrawman

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting from the ground would be a great way to start. But if you want to get up a tree, a saddle is my favorite option these days. I used to pack stands around, but now I just use a set of climbing sticks and a saddle.

If you're going with stand, make sure you invest in a good harness. Any newer stands are good these days. I use ladders stand for my dad and wife, as they are much easier to get in and out of safely. Choose safety over cheap...falling out isn't fun.
Thank you for the insight. I'll do some research into saddles.

Huntnfish89

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have any recommendations on wind checking devices (brands and so on)? I'm considering using hunters dust.
This is the one I tend to use the most. Ot cheap and I like the way the bottle fits in my packs waist pocket or bino harness. Just a side note it works better with a little air in there so maybe 2/3 to a half full of powder.

There's plenty on the market though a d it cheap enough to buy a few and mess around in the off season.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230606_205022_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230606_205022_Chrome.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 4
For wind checker, put some corn starch in squeeze bottle and voila you have a wind checker.

Other than that sounds like you have everything you need. Camo is not needed.

If you plan on hunting from a stationary position, a decent climbing stand like a Summit or a ground blind will be helpful. If you choose to hunt from a tree stand, make sure to buy a safety harness.

Other than that go kill em. Don’t overthink it. They are deer and they ain’t hard to kill.

I get to take someone new hunting pretty much every year. I have a word doc of general info i send them and this is what I have under the need category. This is gun hunting specific.
A gun and Ammo
Hunting license
Blaze orange top and hat – it can’t be camo blaze orange in Missouri. Either a vest or very light jacket would be best to put over your other clothes since it can be hot during the middle of the day so you can have more layers on when its cold or have just one thinner orange layer when its warmer. I also like to have a stocking cap and a baseball cap for the same reasons.
Knife for gutting/ quartering
Flashlight
Compass and map
Clothes that will keep you warm and dry, but also layers to take off as it gets warmer. These don’t have to be hunting specific clothes but should be dull colors.

If you want to break it down to what you truly need I believe this is the list, maybe add snacks and water if you are planning on being out for more than a few hours. There is lots of good advice already in this thread that will make your hunt easier and more enjoyable, but the list of what you truly need is actually pretty short, and chances are you can borrow most if not all of it from others if you have friends or family that hunts.

Get hooked up with some guys that hunt where you are going to be hunting. Get advise from them on customs , methods and gear. You cant beat local experience. Asking for advise on a forum where the hunters are from all over the country is going to yield great advise on how they hunt and gear they use but maybe not for what is needed for your area. I’m a eastern hunter. But I hunt in Alabama, Florida and Ohio.
All those hunts are different from the other and I use different equipment , gear and clothing on each of them. reason is the weather, terrain and vegetation are all different and so are the methods of hunting.

Last edited: