Budget Sleep Systems

samsut93

FNG
Let me start by saying I fully understand that you get what you pay for. That said I'm looking for a sleep system that won't break the bank. My son and I are starting to hunt alot more back country and buying double of everything is getting expensive.

Has any one tried the Seirra Madre Puffle quilts? I see they run a buy one get one sale all the time on their 0* quilts that's well with in budget and leaves room for decent insulated sleeping pads. Any other suggestions I should be looking at?

For reference we will be hunting late season whitetails in Missouri, Spring bear in Idaho next year and hopefully late October mule deer and elk in the future

nnmarcher

Lil-Rokslider
I do not have any experience with Sierra Madre or their quilts, but I looked at the specs. The fill power is 650, which is sort of low compared to other companies like Enlightened Equipment or Katabatic and will be heavier while packing down to a larger volume. However, that is the tradeoff for a lower price.

Similarly, if you go with their synthetic insulation quilts, they will be larger and heavier than the down option, but cheaper. I think you could build a solid system for a good value as long as you and your son are comfortable with a little bit more weight on your backs!

An insulated sleeping pad with a high R value is a major part of the warmth of your sleep system, so I wouldn't skimp on that piece. For late October you will probably want an R value of 5+. This value can be achieved with one high quality 4-season pad or with a combination of a foam pad + a 3-season inflatable pad.

The only other advice I have is watching for sales at outdoor sites (REI is having one right now) and the classifieds section here.

Hussar

Lil-Rokslider
I also don't have experience with Sierra Madre or any of their gear. I was looking at their 20 degree quilt, but it does not look like a standard quilt to me. It looks like it'd be cold.

As an alternative, I'd recommend waiting for Hammock Gear to run a 30% off sale. You can get a 20 degree quilt with 850 fill down for ~$250. And Hammock Gear's temp ratings tend to favor the comfort rating, not a limit rating like most gear companies. I have a 20 degree quilt from them that I was still comfortably warm down to 16 degrees in. I think Hammock Gear often gets overlooked by Feathered Friends or Enlightened Equipment, but their gear is quality.

rcb2000

WKR
A: what is your total budget per person for sleeping bag/pad.
B: keep in mind, you can get something that is cheap/warm/lightweight,,, but it can only be two of those, likely leaving you with something warm but heavy.

fatlander

WKR
I second hammock gear quilts. They are an awesome deal. I got my dad a 10 degree quilt when they had their last sale. I’m beyond impressed with the build quality, fill and loft for the price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk