Bucks over 30"

JNDEER

WKR
Nothing stays the same or from where I sit things fair to say have changed quite a bit since the 80’s for deer here in Co anyway. Heck changed even more from the 50’s when my grandfather was chasing bucks around Eagle…

I frequent quite a few of the best units in Co every year. Look over 300-400 bucks just in the early season again every single year and have kept track of numbers since 2008.. Got a couple or well one friend who does the same and we honestly share info between well a few of us.

To a man all of us would say the upper age class of deer is disappearing in Co. My real numbers as late as 2016 were 1 great buck for about every 100 we looked over. In 2016 the group of 5 of us killed 5 bucks the smallest was a 193” 32” wide typical.. Last year it was 1 out of 400 to find bucks of a similar caliber out of the same 5 guys to a man we all ate our tags that were spread out over different units. Talking about folks here who know how to hunt not big but giant mulies.. Taking WOW bucks here but undeniably there are a lot less out on the landscape especially in the last 3-4 years.

Is it still a great time yea it is. Has the landscape changed = yep a bunch here in co anyway. Is there a wow buck out there somewhere = 💯 it is probable that I already have seen well a couple 😂😜💰…. All this with no tag yet..

Just my 2cents and as I will say my opinion might be worth less than that.

Anyway here is another one right at 29 3/4 but I call it 30”.. No brows almost saved this guys life… Right after I snapped the pic my mom literally told me “you can’t eat horns and tracks don’t make soup” 😂.. She is not wrong!!

View attachment 742210

View attachment 742211

Awesome bucks and sounds like you have more data than the average and even seasoned hunter.

What are your thoughts on why the "big" bucks are harder to find? (I believe it to be a combination of things, but curious your thoughts with the great data you have)

ColoradoV

WKR
Old Mexico sure throws some monsters and it seems most places folks talk about as honey holes are now on private land or highly limited public (like old Mexico). Also I am the first to admit that I only hunt one state and basically one season as it is all the time I can dedicate to deer hunting the way I do and still have the other activities/travel I cherish w my family.

To put it short and sweet the age class disappearing here in Co is due to Cpw policy that pushes the seasons later in the year. Age class is king and most bucks with getting hunted from Sept to Dec are not getting enough years under them. CPW biologists will say they want to offer enough "opportunity" to kill every buck I a unit so not one will die of old age.. Add in these insane late dates and it is what it is.. From where I sit even if there is a lot less opportunity I like to see some make it to die of old age.. As I mentioned above I believe we are on a road to having these pockets of good deer only where they can find refuge on private land as even the highly limited units here in Co are taking a big hit in age class. Now how many hunters does this actually effect? Not many folks as honestly only a few people hunt 1%ers exclusively or most folks - even instagram models - will be just fine w a 180" type buck and that can still be done every year in Colorado anyway.

Well go to go since I am heading to the chitty to take the kids to the dentist today, Costco, and maybe make bed and bath not sure if there will be time... Got to love small town living.. Anyway ere is a 30"er from yesterday on the hoof..

IMG_0032.jpeg

Juan_ID

WKR
Old Mexico sure throws some monsters and it seems most places folks talk about as honey holes are now on private land or highly limited public (like old Mexico). Also I am the first to admit that I only hunt one state and basically one season as it is all the time I can dedicate to deer hunting the way I do and still have the other activities/travel I cherish w my family.

To put it short and sweet the age class disappearing here in Co is due to Cpw policy that pushes the seasons later in the year. Age class is king and most bucks with getting hunted from Sept to Dec are not getting enough years under them. CPW biologists will say they want to offer enough "opportunity" to kill every buck I a unit so not one will die of old age.. Add in these insane late dates and it is what it is.. From where I sit even if there is a lot less opportunity I like to see some make it to die of old age.. As I mentioned above I believe we are on a road to having these pockets of good deer only where they can find refuge on private land as even the highly limited units here in Co are taking a big hit in age class. Now how many hunters does this actually effect? Not many folks as honestly only a few people hunt 1%ers exclusively or most folks - even instagram models - will be just fine w a 180" type buck and that can still be done every year in Colorado anyway.

Well go to go since I am heading to the chitty to take the kids to the dentist today, Costco, and maybe make bed and bath not sure if there will be time... Got to love small town living.. Anyway ere is a 30"er from yesterday on the hoof..

View attachment 743593
This is an interesting take, and one I’ve thought about a lot since I’ve started applying out of state. With all the guys hunting multiple states multiple seasons it almost makes one feel like they’re missing out if you don’t apply in multiple states when in reality your best chance at bigger class bucks is probably close to home (for most that live in the western states anyways). I will admit I’ve fallen victim to this and have started applying in multiple states, and while I can say I’ve never been solely after the 1% I like looking for mature bucks. Still, would probably have much better luck if I just dedicated my time and $ to focusing on my home state haunts more. With that said, it is fun to check out new states and country I may not get to experience again… it’s all give and take.

This is an interesting take, and one I’ve thought about a lot since I’ve started applying out of state. With all the guys hunting multiple states multiple seasons it almost makes one feel like they’re missing out if you don’t apply in multiple states when in reality your best chance at bigger class bucks is probably close to home (for most that live in the western states anyways). I will admit I’ve fallen victim to this and have started applying in multiple states, and while I can say I’ve never been solely after the 1% I like looking for mature bucks. Still, would probably have much better luck if I just dedicated my time and $ to focusing on my home state haunts more. With that said, it is fun to check out new states and country I may not get to experience again… it’s all give and take.
Yes, this is a very Robbyesque way of thinking as well. The "Legend" speaks about the value of hunting close to home in his book and in podcasts.

ColoradoV

WKR
As far as hunting close to home.. Never had more than 1-2 points for deer = never will and to this point have never hunted another state for well anything.

Work over decades and making the conscious decision to have the ability/sacrifice to have large chunks or well months of time every year ~ is why I well have the pics I do..

Also I was lucky enough to be born in an amazing central spot for giant Co deer.. Might hunt wyo one day but can’t figure out how to get there to scout 20-30 days so figure I would not do the tag justice…

Another 30” that I never hunted…

IMG_0026.jpeg

IMG_0025.jpeg

Last edited: