Browns - gear that just worked last month.

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
Went on a 16 day Brown Bear hunt last month in Alaska, and two years of planning paid off. I could provide a list of all gear that I took, but thought I would give some feedback on gear that just excelled, and an item or two that were a flop. In no particular order:

1. The Kuiu 145 and 200 merino wool was outstanding. Took two pair or 145s and two of the 200s. Comfort, warmth some odor control and was able to wash them once. Great product.
2. Kuiu Burner jacket - this was a last minute decision. Originally thought “no way would I need that much heat”. I was so wrong. It was one of the coldest springs at the end of the peninsula in 50 years. Truly my most important piece while glassing and riding up river in the boat at 27 degrees and 30 mph winds.
3. Orvis’ PRO chest wadders withstood the alders and Devils Claw (or whatever they call it). My buddy’s Simms were ripped to shreds and I am a HUGE Simms fan - just not for bears.
4. My Yukon rainwear from KUIU was worthless. I do not know why, but never have I had rain gear that kept the cold in like those things. Beyond terrible even on mild days.
5. My Big Blue solar charger would charge my stuff, my guide’s and my buddy’s stuff with significant cloud cover. They were using mine because their Goal Zero’s were worthless in those conditions.
6. Took 3 Anker prime 20,000 power banks. I took 3 because I am diabetic and wanted to monitor blood sugar with my Libre 3 and phone. I could have went 12 days at least with just the 3 power banks. They were great!
7. AES Wonder Sponge - I could have soaked up a river with this $9 sponge. In Alaska it is going to rain every day during bear season.
8. Sitka fanatic neck gaiter. It is like a furnace in a small package. Great for glassing when not raining or when on the boat going up or down river. The Bearing Sea is a cold mother.
9. Will save the best for last. My RBros 338 RUM built by Travis was the MVP. I am an accuracy nut, and it is off the charts. When we shot a practice shot or three at camp, I said my shots would be 1 6/8 high at 100. One hole at 1 6/8 high was the result. You would need calipers to measure the center of the hole any closer. I was not surprised, I had shot the rifle a lot over two years and it always performs. My buddy had a custom rifle built by a far more recognizable manufacturer that works the load up for you and supplies ammo. I will stop short of saying it was junk, but I will say that in that setting shooting prone, the group wasn’t even within 1 6/8 inches of each other. Much less being where it was supposed to be. And, my buddy can shoot. Enough said.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
What were you shooting out of that RUM?

I was shooting Barnes LRX 265 grain. I tried to shoot the 280 grains, but the gun like 265 a lot better.

OP
W

WVELK

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to do a shout out to one more product that was an A++++. “Corrosion Block” from Midwest Corrosion Products is some amazing stuff. I think I found it from another member here.

I was concerned about my bow and rifle being exposed to Alaska’s elements for 16 plus days. I used it to coat my bow and my gun before the trip. I stripped both with CLP to start. Then I applied a coat of Corrosion Block let it set for about a day as recommended. I wiped it down and then applied a second coat and let is set for a day. Then wiped off excess.

Yes the rifle and bow already had either been anodized or had some protection already, but both had things such as screws that were not.
After 18 plus days of being exposed to rain, salt water from the Bearing Sea and water from a river, neither had a spot of rust or for that matter even a water spot on them. Great stuff.

All my guns will soon be coated with it.

Smtn10pt

FNG
I was shooting Barnes LRX 265 grain. I tried to shoot the 280 grains, but the gun like 265 a lot better.

mine liked the 250's enough that I didnt try any other weights in the LRX. It hated accubonds.