Browning X-Bolt Pro or Tikka in a Carbon Stock **POLL**

Which would you choose with cost being equal?

• Total voters
Everything costing the same which would you go with? Explanations why are always welcomed. It’s the dilemma I’m facing. Both great platforms from my experience.

OP
W
Tikka due to aftermarket support for down the road when you want to change things up.

If you’re the type that buys a factory rifle and never changes anything but optics then either would be a solid solution.
In my mind:

Tikka roughtech ember pros:

Stainless steel
Better aftermarket support
“Normal” thread pattern 5/8x24

Cons:

Have to sell factory stock and wait for new stock
Non flush magazine
1 lb heavier but will be fixed with new stock

Browning Pros:

Turnkey package and 1 lb lighter as is
Better muzzle brake
Flush magazine
Tang safety (I prefer)

Cons:

Has Cerakote but barrel is normal steel
Odd thread pattern
Little to no aftermarket support

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
I said Tikka basically just because aftermarket support. Some day when you decide you don’t like the stock on the browning you are hosed.

Tikka has a better trigger.

Browning will give you more caliber choices.

The Tikka will give you a heavier barrel if you get the stainless roughtech.

Browning has nicer magazines.

Both will be fine rifles and trouble free.

I said Tikka basically just because aftermarket support. Some day when you decide you don’t like the stock on the browning you are hosed.

Tikka has a better trigger.

Browning will give you more caliber choices.

The Tikka will give you a heavier barrel if you get the stainless roughtech.

Browning has nicer magazines.

Both will be fine rifles and trouble free.

That is pretty much my summation as well.

In my mind:

Tikka roughtech ember pros:

Stainless steel
Better aftermarket support
“Normal” thread pattern 5/8x24

Cons:

Have to sell factory stock and wait for new stock
Non flush magazine
1 lb heavier but will be fixed with new stock

Browning Pros:

Turnkey package and 1 lb lighter as is
Better muzzle brake
Flush magazine
Tang safety (I prefer)

Cons:

Has Cerakote but barrel is normal steel
Odd thread pattern
Little to no aftermarket support
User adjustable trigger poundage and a wide array of aftermarket stocks are two additional pros for the Tikka. Personally I have never shot a factory stock that Ive liked and so every rifle I have ever owned has an aftermarket stock at some point (except for my very first rifle and I dont like the stock on it either) so I dont see getting rid of the factory stock as a CON per se rather making the rifle the way I want it.

Biggest glaring CON for me on the browning is if you want to do anything other than shoot it in factory configuration. The thread pitch if not 5/8x24 can be another annoying aspect if you have a direct thread can but depending on what pitch it is, maybe not if you run a muzzle device.

Sounds like you want to like the browning, but are afraid to get stuck with something you might not end up liking (pure speculation based on person previous buying experiences)? Another reason to pick up the Tikka for flexibility to make it how you want, whenever you want.

Just my .02 but Im sure someone will come along with a strong opinion of why you should buy the browning. Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide.

SC

I compared the two a while back, both good guns, but I ended up going with the Xbolt pro. To this day, the Xbolt pro remains to be my favorite gun!
Very smooth, very accurate, the carbon fiber stock is awesome, Ceracote seems indestructible and my gun still looks like new.

There’s not much a guy could want to change on that Browning out of the box. But I did find two things.
1. While the Browning has a very smooth adjustable trigger, the ‘lowest range’ was a little higher than I wanted. The fix was easy though, replaced the trigger spring (Mcarbo spring) cost was about $15.

2. Muzzle brake works very well for recoil, but I opted to change it out for a suppressor. But the Browning has a metric thread, a thread adapter is needed, easy install, cost about $20.

One more thing, Don’t get hung up on the misconception of a Stainless steel barrel.

A lot of people think stainless is better, And by better, they mean because it doesn’t rust.

But stainless can also rust, and it is actually not as durable as a High carbon steel. A High Carbon steel barrel will easily outlast a Stainless Steel barrel, and when coupled with a good Ceracote, it’s a combination that’s hard to beat.

OP
W
User adjustable trigger poundage and a wide array of aftermarket stocks are two additional pros for the Tikka. Personally I have never shot a factory stock that Ive liked and so every rifle I have ever owned has an aftermarket stock at some point (except for my very first rifle and I dont like the stock on it either) so I dont see getting rid of the factory stock as a CON per se rather making the rifle the way I want it.

Biggest glaring CON for me on the browning is if you want to do anything other than shoot it in factory configuration. The thread pitch if not 5/8x24 can be another annoying aspect if you have a direct thread can but depending on what pitch it is, maybe not if you run a muzzle device.

Sounds like you want to like the browning, but are afraid to get stuck with something you might not end up liking (pure speculation based on person previous buying experiences)? Another reason to pick up the Tikka for flexibility to make it how you want, whenever you want.

Just my .02 but Im sure someone will come along with a strong opinion of why you should buy the browning. Good luck on your decision and let us know what you decide.

SC
I might want to like it because I have a hunter (wood) version in 30-06 that has served me well the past 5 seasons for whitetail. I’ve had 2 Tikkas and they have been great rifles as well. The wild thread pitch is definitely a concern with the browning.

OP
W
Thank you to those that voted and gave some insight on which way to go. Seems like both will be great firearms.

BCD

WKR
The $15 Mcarbo trigger spring addresses the Browning Trigger. I have owned several Brownings. I would never own a Tikka.

Browning does not play well with others. Like said above, tikka with the support is a lhard to beat option.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
It seems from posters on numerous sites if you go with the Tikka you'll need the following: new barrel, new stock, new trigger, new bolt, etc. So plan on that.

Unckebob

WKR
I have a X Bolt Mountain Pro and a Tikka Roughtech. Converting to the choice you made: prefer the Browning.

1) The actions are equally slick
2) both are well built
3) The Tikka 24" barrel is noticeably "slow" vs box velocities. The Browning 24" barrel is as fast or faster than box velocities.
4) The Tikka 6.5 PRC magazine sticks well outside the stock. I have come to despise the magazine. I don't need or want a 5 rounds and an extended mag.
5) I needed to order a new direct thread mount for my suppressor so I could use it on the Browning.

The only thing I would change on the Browning - flush cup sling mount.

Last edited:

Kurts86

WKR
I own an X-Bolt mountain pro and a T3x Lite Stainless. The x-bolt is a great out of the box option, its biggest weakness is the trigger weight is pretty bad considering the price point. As a hunting rifle they are nearly perfect and everyone that has used mine likes it. My dad keeps trying to steal mine.

The Tikka has a better trigger and all the reliability pro’s rokslide loves but they feel cheap and uninspired. After market modifications including a stock swap have the potential to degrade feeding or bad weather reliability. It’s a better upgrade platform and is at its core marginally better as a rifle. My Tikka build is in progress and will cost me more or as much as top tier Browning out of the box.

It really comes down to do you like to tinker or do you just want to go shoot/hunt.

OP
W
I own an X-Bolt mountain pro and a T3x Lite Stainless. The x-bolt is a great out of the box option, its biggest weakness is the trigger weight is pretty bad considering the price point. As a hunting rifle they are nearly perfect and everyone that has used mine likes it. My dad keeps trying to steal mine.

The Tikka has a better trigger and all the reliability pro’s rokslide loves but they feel cheap and uninspired. After market modifications including a stock swap have the potential to degrade feeding or bad weather reliability. It’s a better upgrade platform and is at its core marginally better as a rifle. My Tikka build is in progress and will cost me more or as much as top tier Browning out of the box.

It really comes down to do you like to tinker or do you just want to go shoot/hunt.

That seems to be spot on from what I've seen/read. Out of the box and leave it alone (minus the trigger); Browning. Still good out of the box but want to mix things up and sky is the limit; Tikka.

LostWapiti

Lil-Rokslider
The $15 Mcarbo trigger spring addresses the Browning Trigger. I have owned several Brownings. I would never own a Tikka.
This makes for a compelling case for Browning. I have always swapped my trigger springs in Tikka as well.

I really liked Brownings but after feeling the tiger I was completely turned off. If the trigger is fixed they are pretty awesome.

I have owned 2 x bolts and 3 tikkas. The comments above cover it well. Trigger spring for a browning and they are ready to go, tikkas are ready to go but you can customize them fully as you desire. I recommend option C all of the above and get both over time haha