Browning X-Bolt 2 Speed, 7 PRC Field Evaluation

Haha. No. About 4 foot group at 760 yards.

CX is terrible.

Of note, is that Hornady ELD-X and ELD-M has the same zero in this rifle, and the difference in MV and BC cancels out elevation differences at least to 1,100y where there is a .2 mil difference.
If you were to hunt with this rifle, which bullet would you choose? And why?

Haha. No. About 4 foot group at 760 yards.

CX is terrible.

Of note, is that Hornady ELD-X and ELD-M has the same zero in this rifle, and the difference in MV and BC cancels out elevation differences at least to 1,100y where there is a .2 mil difference.
Is it CX bullets in general? .284 CX's, or is the .308 or other sizes better or worse? Or could it be inconsistent loads from Hornady? I ask because I keep seeing several online reports from folks, and it seems the CX in the 7 PRC is having the same issues, not just the lower velocity numbers, I didnt know if it was all related or just bad luck but I havent read the same when people use the Federal loads. Thanks in advance and I love these reviews ya do!

Is it CX bullets in general? .284 CX's, or is the .308 or other sizes better or worse? Or could it be inconsistent loads from Hornady? I ask because I keep seeing several online reports from folks, and it seems the CX in the 7 PRC is having the same issues, not just the lower velocity numbers, I didnt know if it was all related or just bad luck but I havent read the same when people use the Federal loads. Thanks in advance and I love these reviews ya do!

I have seen CX shoot very poorly in several rifles. All have been Hornady factory ammo if I recall though.

Updated to post #2.

151 rounds on the rifle. No cleaning or barrel “break-in”, ten round group today with the barrel sizzling water-
IMG_8615.jpeg

The ejection is a bit weak/off a bit, and if the bolt isn’t run quickly the brass can get knocked back into the action by the rear scope ring.

IMG_8616.jpeg

@Formidilosus I have this new style Recoil Hawg Muzzle Brake if you want to try it out, it's 5/8-24. It should minimize the blast out of the bottom and the associated dust and debris kicked up.

It's sitting around doing nothing and I am curious about how well you think it performs versus the factory radial design.

Edit, I see Browning is going backwards and using the metric threads for muzzle brakes.

IMG_3922.jpeg

Updated to post #2.

151 rounds on the rifle. No cleaning or barrel “break-in”, ten round group today with the barrel sizzling water-
View attachment 708966

The ejection is a bit weak/off a bit, and if the bolt isn’t run quickly the brass can get knocked back into the action by the rear scope ring.

View attachment 708967

Form - how would rate this accuracy relative to other factory options? Or just a generalizations of your views in x-bolt accuracy so far?

In my 7 PRC, Bighorn TL3 action with a Proof 22” carbon prefit, the factory CX loadings are right around .5 MOA in a 3 shot group, and 3” or less at 500 yards.

Form - how would rate this accuracy relative to other factory options? Or just a generalizations of your views in x-bolt accuracy so far?

It depends on what factory rifles? Consistent 10 round groups of 1.2’ish MOA or better is on the better end of usual for good barrels regardless of factory or not. Tikka, Sako, Sauer, Blaser, etc.- ans well aa anfter market “custom” barrels I expect to be between 1 and 1.5 MOA for consistent 10 round groups.

So this Browning is doing what it should do. My experience with X-Bolts has been that they consistently shoot well.

Dude just shot 18/20 at 1,140y in 18-24 mph, multi canyon winds with what appears to be a stock hunting configuration with factory ammo.

I'd say it's shooting okay!
Enjoying the review. I've always liked Browning firearms.

In my 7 PRC, Bighorn TL3 action with a Proof 22” carbon prefit, the factory CX loadings are right around .5 MOA in a 3 shot group, and 3” or less at 500 yards.
I know most all know it here, but at 57 Im still learning, but Im learning bolt guns can be just as finicky as shotgun slug guns and AR's lol I was asking about the CX mainly for my 7 mag, 308 and potentially something else. I have twice as many AR's as I do bolt guns, in several calibers lol so Im just planning ahead. Didnt mean to thread jack. Sorry.

I know most all know it here, but at 57 Im still learning, but Im learning bolt guns can be just as finicky as shotgun slug guns and AR's lol I was asking about the CX mainly for my 7 mag, 308 and potentially something else. I have twice as many AR's as I do bolt guns, in several calibers lol so Im just planning ahead. Didnt mean to thread jack. Sorry.

Your bot thread jacking. Rifles really shouldn’t be that picky, and good rifles aren’t. CX (and the prior GMX) has just been a hit or miss loading from what I’ve seen. It’s isn’t unusual to see groups of 2-4 MOA from it from some guns. Others shoot it fine.

Just a heads up if any one is intrigued by this review... Blowout pricing on the the X-Bolt Pro McMillan (Surpressor Ready/22" Barrel) model below in 7prc...

$1,500 out the door. The 6.5 PRC was marked at this price but appears to have been marked back up to around $2200 in the past hour or so.

I realize it isn’t the x-bolt 2 that Form is reviewing but differences are minimal assuming you’d change the trigger spring here..

Last edited:
Just a heads up if any one is intrigued by this review... Blowout pricing on the the X-Bolt Pro McMillan (Surpressor Ready/22" Barrel) model below in 7prc...

$1,500 out the door. The 6.5 PRC was marked at this price but appears to have been marked back up to around $2200 in the past hour or so.

I realize it isn’t the x-bolt 2 that Form is reviewing but differences are minimal assuming you’d change the trigger spring here..

I could be wrong but I think the barrel is 20” - which makes for a decent gun with an 8 inch suppressor on

That’s a decent price, buts it’s about the worst designed stock on the market. They make several other models with much better stocks.

Back