Browning or Christensen 300wm

Rogue541

WKR
I had almost made up my mind about purchasing a Browning XBolt western hunter stainless 26”. I came across a Christensen Mesa 24” rifle recently as well. It’ll be 300 WM. Similar pricing. Any advice on these from experience? It’ll be for hunting, I’d like the rifle to be able to reach out a good distance. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2five7

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't want a 300win with a 24" barrel. Other than that the Mesa is a nice rifle. They both have a few pros and cons. Browning has a 60 degree bolt throw vs 90 on the Mesa, but the Mesa likely has a longer mag box.

What is the cost difference?

FURMAN

WKR
The Browning will not allow seating a longer bullet like the Berger 215 to the lands of a SAAMI chamber. I personally wouldn't want a 24" 300WM as already stated.

Everyone is pretty spot-on with their advice. Most 300 WM come with a 26" barrel. A two inch shorter barrel will affect the performance a little bit, not a lot (maybe 100 fps). Maybe the shorter barrel is the way you want to go for your style of hunting. The Browning does have a 60* bolt, which is really nice for not hitting the scope with your knuckles when jacking shells out. Another thing I like about the Browning is the safety. You can actually open the bolt and kick a shell out with safety still on. This is when a lot of accidents happen and Browning's safety is very nice in that aspect. The Browning detachable magazine does restrict the length of your cartridges, if that is a big deal to you. Again, I think it affects the performance of the rifle a little, but not that much. I own a Browning X-Bolt Stainless Stalker in a 300 H&H (24" barrel), but I am really intrigued by the new Mesa in Bronze. If I went to the Mesa, I would go with the 300 WM, because they don't make an H&H.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Personally, I wouldn't want a 300win with a 24" barrel. Other than that the Mesa is a nice rifle. They both have a few pros and cons. Browning has a 60 degree bolt throw vs 90 on the Mesa, but the Mesa likely has a longer mag box.

What is the cost difference?

I found the X bolt western hunter stainless for $900 and there is a Christensen used for about $1100 (new $1300) I really feel inclined to go with a 26” also. The browning has a muzzle break on it so it’s even longer than 26” lol. I bow hunt but if I ever draw an elk tag in Open country than I’d use this gun and wouldn’t mind the longer barrel. I like the 60 degree vs 90 degree factor also, my Creedmoor is 90 and it almost hits my scope.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Also to make things a bit more complicated I saw a Sako A7 this morning at Field and stream for $1050 26” barrel 300wm.

choovhntr

WKR
My experience with the browning mag box in the X bolt for 300 mag is that it is longer than most factory rifles. I know it’s at least more than 3.6” because the abm 215 ammo fit in my buddy’s mag who has one. Didn’t put the calipers on it but I’d be willing to guess its closer to 3.7”

I've got the Xbolt in 300 wm.
It is a bit heavier. But I have a big Vortex on it. I am shooting 180 Nosler AB LR thru it and so far am well pleased. I got mine last year New for $799.
CA makes a decent rifle, but if you want long range - perhaps looking at different options than the 2 models you listed are in order.

I guess that also depends on what Long Range is to you.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'm currently looking around semi-seriously at browning x bolt long range rifles, Id get a 26" for sure. Weatherby has a new Vanguard that has first lite camo which has a lot of features in that price range (I'm sure they will sell under a thousand bucks) which has a 26" barrel and a brake for 28", cerakoat, fluting all that. It could be a cool gun. The Ruger FTW hunter is another one I'm looking at. Like you, I'm also interested mainly in 300Wm for this project.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
I'm currently looking around semi-seriously at browning x bolt long range rifles, Id get a 26" for sure. Weatherby has a new Vanguard that has first lite camo which has a lot of features in that price range (I'm sure they will sell under a thousand bucks) which has a 26" barrel and a brake for 28", cerakoat, fluting all that. It could be a cool gun. The Ruger FTW hunter is another one I'm looking at. Like you, I'm also interested mainly in 300Wm for this project.

Those both sound really cool I’ll check them out, thanks! Does anyone else have suggestions for a rifle in the same price range for hunting? 300WM $900-$1200?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Those both sound really cool I’ll check them out, thanks! Does anyone else have suggestions for a rifle in the same price range for hunting? 300WM $900-$1200?

Ive really got my eye on that new Weatherby vanguard, those really are great rifles. That new one has a lot of features and Id imagine it will pop up around 900 bucks when it shows up. I just looked and the ruger I mentioned has a 24" barrel rather than a 26". You could look at a winchester m70 extreme weather, I have one in 30-06 nd its fantastic rifle, the 300wm has a 26" barrel.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Ive really got my eye on that new Weatherby vanguard, those really are great rifles. That new one has a lot of features and Id imagine it will pop up around 900 bucks when it shows up. I just looked and the ruger I mentioned has a 24" barrel rather than a 26". You could look at a winchester m70 extreme weather, I have one in 30-06 nd its fantastic rifle, the 300wm has a 26" barrel.

Yeah I’m liking what I’m seeing with the Vanguard firstlite also, I always like cerakote and the fluted barrel, bolt are nice. Sort of reminds me of the Xbolt hells canyon. Curious what the price point will be and when they will no on the gun rack for sale.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Yeah I’m liking what I’m seeing with the Vanguard firstlite also, I always like cerakote and the fluted barrel, bolt are nice. Sort of reminds me of the Xbolt hells canyon. Curious what the price point will be and when they will no on the gun rack for sale.

Well, the wilderness has an MSRP of 999.00 but you can get them all day long for 750.00 or less. the backcountry has an msrp of 1429.00 but can be had for 1000-1100. So Id guess about 800-900 bones on that first lite.

choovhntr

WKR
What’s your ultimate goal with this rifle? Rounds per year you plan to shoot, how far you plan to take it yardage wise, and what hunts do you see yourself using it for? If you ever think you want to upgrade components and try to push the limits of true long range, browning and weatherby are tough to find those components for. However, if you don’t shoot a lot ( foresee a re-barrel in the future) and don’t care too much about a upgrading other components (stock, trigger etc.) I think those are both very nice factory made guns. Much better than what you get from a lot of others. Also, my opinion on the 26” barrel ( if you care to hear it ;) ) is that unless your really trying to reach out there in yardage where the speed and energy will make a real difference, it’s very noticeable when carrying vs the 24. I have an a-bolt 300 wm with a 26” barrel and a brake installed onto that. I also have a 24” braked 300wm and I HATE the length of the a-bolt while hunting. Again only my opinion here but I’m also not shooting 800+yds (yet). Just something more to think about.

odin0226

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry if I missed it , but what's your price range? Do you handload or plan on handloading? What is your max range desired?

I would reccomend the phrase: buy once cry once. If you dont handload and can bump up to 2K , there are some better rifles to be had than whats being discussed. Fierce comes to mind, .5 MOA guarantee with factory ammo. Ive shot 2 different fierce rifles , and there accuracy guarantee has held true. The wife's Fierce Edge in 300 WM is a sub .5 MOA with factory Barnes ammo.

Sako rifles have always shot well IME, brothers A7 300 WSM was .4 MOA rifle out the box.

I own a couple savage rifles that shoot amazing with my handloads, and 1+ MOA with factory stuff. Own a 338 WM 116 bear Hunter, its a .5 MOA rifle with my stuff.

The new seekins HAVAK has some quality craftsmanship and parts; but no MOA guarantee.

I have no experince with Christianson Arms; though I hear less than desirable comments on there Carbon series line. Mostly POI shift after 2 shots

As far as 24 versus 26 inch barrel velocity loss; expect 15-25 FPS per inch. Alot of that depends on the weight of the projectile and burn rate of powder. 24 in tube in 300 WM is ok.

mtnwrunner

Super Moderator
Staff member
Shoot2HuntU
Sorry if I missed it , but what's your price range? Do you handload or plan on handloading? What is your max range desired?

I would reccomend the phrase: buy once cry once. If you dont handload and can bump up to 2K , there are some better rifles to be had than whats being discussed. Fierce comes to mind, .5 MOA guarantee with factory ammo. Ive shot 2 different fierce rifles , and there accuracy guarantee has held true. The wife's Fierce Edge in 300 WM is a sub .5 MOA with factory Barnes ammo.

Sako rifles have always shot well IME, brothers A7 300 WSM was .4 MOA rifle out the box.

I own a couple savage rifles that shoot amazing with my handloads, and 1+ MOA with factory stuff. Own a 338 WM 116 bear Hunter, its a .5 MOA rifle with my stuff.

The new seekins HAVAK has some quality craftsmanship and parts; but no MOA guarantee.

I have no experince with Christianson Arms; though I hear less than desirable comments on there Carbon series line. Mostly POI shift after 2 shots

As far as 24 versus 26 inch barrel velocity loss; expect 15-25 FPS per inch. Alot of that depends on the weight of the projectile and burn rate of powder. 24 in tube in 300 WM is ok.

That seekins Havak is an exceptional rifle......no way you could build one for that cost. My buddy just recently got one in the 6.5 PRC and it shoots superbly, about 1/3 moa with hand loads. If they made that in a lefty, I'd be all over it.

Randy

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
Thanks for the responses from everyone, much appreciated. As much as I would love to handload I just don’t think I can tackle that beast yet, new horse in the barn. I’d be shooting “premium” factory ammo, I like the idea of carrying a 24” rifle but figure I could deal with a 26”. The browning however had the 26” plus 2” muzzle break. I couldn’t see myself shooting over 500-600 yds. Although it would be nice to reach a little farther. I have a new Nikon Prostaff 7 5-20x50 duplex(need to order custom turret) or a Vortex HST 4-16x44 ready to mount. I saw a Sako A7 with a 24.4” barrel I believe, I’ve heard good things about that one too. I’m an archery hunter but there’s some places I hunt for bear where this rifle would
Be utilized. I also may burn my Oregon elk points on a rifle hunt sooner or later.

OP
Rogue541

Rogue541

WKR
I’ve narrowed down my current list to below. 300wm

-Browning X Bolt Western Hunter SS 26”+Break $875

-Sako A7 SS Roughtech stock 24.4” SS $1049

-Christensen Mesa 24” SS $1200

-Vanguard First Lite rifle (Coming soon) $1050

My gut tells me Sako or Xbolt. I’ve never spent over $600 on a rifle so I’m definitely green on choosing quality, but want to make the right decision and buy once.

elkguide

WKR
Of your narrowed down list, I'd place them in this order.....

Sako
Vanguard
Christensen
Browning

Just personal experience. May not be your opinion.
Put them all in your hands and see how they balance/feel to you.