Browning A-Bolt Barrel Swap?

sdupontjr

WKR
I considered this a while back. But even with all my Tikka's and Rem 700's, this 1994 Abolt II medallion is still the most accurate rifle I own. I had never played with the Boss system before until just this past year. I thought it shot well until I started loading for it.

Another thing about the Browning is the mag can be modified for longer COAL. If I remember, not my 7 mag loads can be a MAX of 3.715" and still cycle without any problems. So I modified my mag, and seated some 162 eldm out much further and shot a .311" group at 100. I just got my garmin so want to get some velo numbers on the load. I have no idea how many round have been down the barrel since 1994, but I know its alot.

Stock form
20230622_170931.jpg

Modified
Screenshot_20230622-171604_Gallery.jpg

7mmmagmag011_zps0fc367c6.jpg

CBB1

WKR
I considered this a while back. But even with all my Tikka's and Rem 700's, this 1994 Abolt II medallion is still the most accurate rifle I own. I had never played with the Boss system before until just this past year. I thought it shot well until I started loading for it.

Another thing about the Browning is the mag can be modified for longer COAL. If I remember, not my 7 mag loads can be a MAX of 3.715" and still cycle without any problems. So I modified my mag, and seated some 162 eldm out much further and shot a .311" group at 100. I just got my garmin so want to get some velo numbers on the load. I have no idea how many round have been down the barrel since 1994, but I know its alot.

Stock form
View attachment 760102

Modified
View attachment 760103

View attachment 760101

You mind sharing more about modifying that mag. I have a 300wm that could use some more length

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sdupontjr

WKR
It's actually very easy to do. The bottom of the mag has a removable floorplate. Remove the floorplate and pull the spring and guts out the bottom. I used a chainsaw file and Dremel with carbide burr bit.

1) stack 2 rounds in the mag and mark on the with a sharpie where the tips are. Then remove rounds.
2) Remove bottom floor plate of mag and then remove guts.
3) Now the mag should be gutted and can see through
4) VERY IMPORTANT - There are small rivets on the front end of the mag that holds the aluminum in place. You do not want to damage the rivets, because they hold the entire internal side and front piece.
5) File in the area where the line is most of the way down. This will allow the stacked rounds to clear as well. You'll notice how deep you need to go depending on how many the mag holds.
6) Once the groove is made, then I used the Dremel. Making sure to stay away from the middle where the rivet is.

Once I thought I had enough, I would blow out the shavings, put it all back together, and see if the rounds fit. If all 3 wouldn't, I'd go a little deeper.

My action measured 3.817" but my COAL to lands with the 162 eldms was 2.730". You just need to make sure that you don't Dremel it all the way to the outer shell because it's all one piece.

20240905_152156.jpg

Got a little more length