Broken Toe?

j_volt

WKR
I broke my my left pinky toe in a sand volleyball game this past Monday, ~45 days out from a high country mule deer hunt with horses.

I am interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts on a general plan from now until then. Prior to the injury, I was rucking for ~45 minutes most mornings, and staying active in other ways (Peloton and sand volleyball mainly). As much as it kills me to admit it, I can’t do much of anything active as of this moment. From what I read, most say to do as little as possible to recover, but I hate not being active up to a hunt like this.

Any general advice?

The first photo won’t cost ya…

51B170BD-9DE5-4BD8-89DD-5ECAA104CC91.jpeg

Geewhiz

WKR
I say dont worry about it. In 45 days it will be better. Do what you can to get your exercise but If you cant run or walk well between now and then ride a bike or something and work on your cardio. (y)

Good luck on your hunt.

TAS95

FNG
Toes are tough, not much to do other than do what you can exercise wise without causing pain, like @Geewhiz said, bike, walk as tolerated without added weight, then with, plenty of core and upper body movements to maintain fitness while it heals. Best of luck, bet you won’t even notice it in 45 days

Danomite

Lil-Rokslider
A few years ago I broke and dislocated a pinky toe about a month before a mule deer hunt. I taped it to the toe next to it, saw an ortho doc the next day, and was told to just keep it taped for a couple weeks. It was pretty tender for a couple days but was more or less fine by the hunt. The swelling was a little aggravated by the compression of the boot. I had an elk hunt a week after the deer hunt and the toe was fine.

280Ackley

WKR
Did the same thing last spring. Wearing my boot aggravated it really bad. Rest it as much as possible the first week then you won’t even notice it anymore.

Fogalo

Lil-Rokslider
I cut my finger off and they stitched it back on. Broken bone etc. Ortho tried to schedule me for amputation twice. But it grew back. I don’t know if it was this or just me but here’s what I did.

No caffeine or chocolate. I guess it constricts blood vessels which doesn’t allow healing.

First couple days ice and elevate.

Then hot and cold. Ten minutes or so cold (ice) then ten hot. Always start and end on cold.

No smoking or drinking. Smoking also constricts the blood vessels. For me no drinking was more of insurance policy that I wouldn’t get drunk and overdo it.

Cardio = more blood flow. Although it’s much easier to do cardio with a broken finger than foot.

I was pretty religious about all of it because I didn’t want stumpy as a nickname but whatever you can do out of this should help.

I’ve used the cold hot therapy since I pitched in college… that with cardio works wonders.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
Was it X-Rayed? Mine (dropped a firewood round on it) looked a hell of a lot worse when I did it a few years ago. It was busted. Doc just taped it up to my second toe. Some non-stressful use for a couple weeks and ice to control any swelling and it was good to go. I wouldn't be too stressed.

taskswap

WKR
It kind of depends on you. I've broken my big toe twice by dropping things on it and was pretty mobile within a week each time. I fractured my heel on an elk hunt 4 years ago and still feel the twinge if I step on it wrong. I'd definitely consult a doctor, but after that it's all about what you think you can take. Good boots tightly laced so most of your weight is transferred from your ankles can make or break a hunt like this.

I know a vet who hunts with one leg. I can't tell him any stories at all because nothing I do could ever match it :)

Tape it to the toe next to it. Go easy on it until your hunt. Bicycle riding and swimming will be your best exercises to do (as always) prior to a hunt. Wear stiff, rigid boots while on the hunt. You'll be fine in about 2-3 months, as long as you don't re-break it.

Rich M

WKR
We had a couple moving guys help us with a move. They slid a gun safe down some stairs and guy at bottom got his foot smashed. They told him to suck it up. - fricking split his toe and he ultimately needed surgery. He worked the rest of the day...

If pain aint too bad - keep at it. Yer only as broken as you feel.

S.Clancy

WKR
I broke my ring toe getting out of the shower years ago. I taped it to the middle toe. It hurt for the first 2 weeks, then gradually got better. I couldn't do any type of jumping or anything real weight bearing (squats, lunges, heavy pack walks) for the first bit. Just switch the cardio to biking for a week or 2 then jump back in.

Also, stop playing beer league sports. I watched I don't know how many people blow themselves up playing sand volleyball and softball. It's not really worth it unless you really, really enjoy it

OP
j_volt

j_volt

WKR
Also, stop playing beer league sports. I watched I don't know how many people blow themselves up playing sand volleyball and softball. It's not really worth it unless you really, really enjoy it
Sand volleyball is life!

I was a competitive soccer player growing up and I've broken every single one of my toes at least once. You eventually learn there isn't much to be done for treatment and just take it easy for a bit and then just keeping going. You could protect your toe from obvious wear by maybe swapping bike riding for rucking or something else, but it'll be fine in a couple weeks. Could have tenderness on your hunt but I would just dose with ibuprofen and roll.

Poser

WKR
I was a competitive soccer player growing up and I've broken every single one of my toes at least once. You eventually learn there isn't much to be done for treatment and just take it easy for a bit and then just keeping going. You could protect your toe from obvious wear by maybe swapping bike riding for rucking or something else, but it'll be fine in a couple weeks. Could have tenderness on your hunt but I would just dose with ibuprofen and roll.

My experience is similar. Same with most injuries: keep moving and work around it as needed, but, in the long term, you’ll benefit more from continual movement than you will taking the advice of staying immobile.

Tape it up, splint it if possible (or necessary), take extra care not to stump it, take your footwear off frequently and keep tabs on it, but I wouldn’t rule anything out. With an injury like this, you may be hurting, but you aren’t really “hurt” like you would be with say a broken femur

I have buddy taped them. As long as the break isn’t in the joint it should heal Fine.

consider swapping your rucking for a stationary bike for a couple of weeks to get you started on healing while staying active. Build back into weight bearing stuff as tolerated.