Broken Hoyt Bow

Jrob

FNG
Hoyt Alpha X 33 at 70lbs. Ive had this bow for 6 months. Bought it brand new in December.

I’ve put about 25 arrows through it so far during today’s session with no issues. I start drawing back then notice that I’ve drawn back much further than I should be able to, and there is no tension pulling on the string.

I’m able to get the arrow out before I start to analyze the bow. The part of the string with the peep sight is fully drawn out with no tension, while the other part of the string is still fully loaded on the cams.

The cam is leaning and the length adjusting bracket is all messed up too. It looks like part of the cam bumped the limb and splintered it.

Anyone else experience this with a brand new Hoyt?

Attachments

• Bow1 Large.jpeg
    Bow1 Large.jpeg
    223.9 KB · Views: 163
  • Bow2 Large.jpeg
    Bow2 Large.jpeg
    199.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Bow3.jpg
    Bow3.jpg
    336.7 KB · Views: 163
  • Bow4.jpg
    Bow4.jpg
    564.8 KB · Views: 161
  • Bow5.jpg
    Bow5.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 161
Last edited:

Zac

WKR
You just derailed it. I thought it was fine until I saw the mod leaned over. My guess is that it will probably be fine. Just have your shop show you how to properly draw so that you don't repeat the mistake.

Last edited:

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely take it to your shop! It looks like the mod screw may have sheared or come loose. My VTM did something similar a few months ago (killed my strings and cables, but the limbs were ok). Your limb looks pretty bad-I’d definitely get that replaced.

NXTZ

Lil-Rokslider
You just derailed it. I thought it was fine until I saw the mod leaned over. My guess is that it will probably be fine. Just have your shot show you how to properly draw so that you don't repeat the mistake.
Zac, forgive my ignorance, but what makes you say a derail? His string looks like it’s still “in place”, I would have thought a derail would have the string slipped over onto the axles.

Rob5589

WKR
1000002727.png

Looks like a screw came loose and sheared off. The mod looks to have been scraping against the limb as you can see on the mod itself along with the limb splinters. Those screws have a tendency to loosen, and not just with Hoyt.

Marble

WKR
I would guess it's fixable and possibly under warranty. Transport in a case, so in the instance it explodes en route, it won't do other things.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Zac

WKR
View attachment 721945

Looks like a screw came loose and sheared off. The mod looks to have been scraping against the limb as you can see on the mod itself along with the limb splinters. Those screws have a tendency to loosen, and not just with Hoyt.
Doesn't look in place to me. There's not even tension on it. You could be right though. It could be a dry fire.

OP
Jrob

Jrob

FNG
You just derailed it. I thought it was fine until I saw the mod leaned over. My guess is that it will probably be fine. Just have your shop show you how to properly draw so that you don't repeat the mistake.
I would be shocked if this has anything to do with how I draw. I’ve been shooting bows everyday for the last 2 years with no problems. I’ve had professionals critique my form and they have all said it’s great

Zac

WKR
I would be shocked if this has anything to do with how I draw. I’ve been shooting bows everyday for the last 2 years with no problems. I’ve had professionals critique my form and they have all said it’s great
The only way I can think of this happening without a dry fire is if you adjusted the cam so far to the side that it totally missed the cables. Your shop is going to call it a dry fire.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
I think he dropped or sheared a mod screw, and the cable passed the draw stop, maybe the mod scraped the splinters off the limb.

OP
Jrob

Jrob

FNG
The only way I can think of this happening without a dry fire is if you adjusted the cam so far to the side that it totally missed the cables. Your shop is going to call it a dry fire.
Wrong again. No adjustments were made to the bow since it was purchased in December. Never dropped and no dry fires.

I just left the shop. They said they have had this issue with the same model Hoyt. Said it was the mod screw. They’re sending it in for warranty work

JK47

Lil-Rokslider
Wrong again. No adjustments were made to the bow since it was purchased in December. Never dropped and no dry fires.

I just left the shop. They said they have had this issue with the same model Hoyt. Said it was the mod screw. They’re sending it in for warranty work

That sucks. Did your shop say if this is something to watch for in the future?

How many have they had do this? Did the mod screw back out at all? Or the screw just sheared off?

Reactions: Zac
OP
Jrob

Jrob

FNG
That sucks. Did your shop say if this is something to watch for in the future?

How many have they had do this? Did the mod screw back out at all? Or the screw just sheared off?
He said it’s happened once before. The mod screw sheared off in both instances

Tilzbow

WKR
Sorry to hear about your bow. Lots of things could’ve happened with that screw to cause it to shear. Tech at shop could’ve left it loose or stripped it when adjusting the draw, factory assembler could’ve done the same, screw might’ve backed out a little on its own due to vibration and/or improper torque or the screw simply failed due to a manufacturing error.

Rob5589

WKR

I shoot a PSE with Evolve cams and the mod screws kept coming loose. Blue Loctite solved that problem. Glad they're taking care of it👍🏻

Ho5tile1

WKR
Mod screw sheared off or came loose while you where drawing it don’t look like a dry fire just check and see if the mod screws are there, gone or sheared off I’m sure they will take care of it seen that on some other hoyts and bowtechs as well. I will say only the OP knows what really happened as far as dry fire or derail.. but from what I’ve seen in the past looks like the mod screw is the issue and it just couldn’t stand up to the tension and folded good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited: