Broadheads

Tony2000

FNG
Does anyone have any experience with the Jekyll and Hyde broadheads from Evolution Outdoors

Zac

WKR
I took a few antelope with the fixed 100 grain version last year. I had those and the Iron will 100 grain solids to test against each other. It was the most forgiving fixed blade I've ever tested. I could hit the same hole at 60 when I did my part. Blades showed a little deformation after passing through. One hit a fence post, pulled the other out of the dirt. Dan from Elk Shape shot an antelope as well with them last year. He also said it was extremely accurate. I hope this helps.

OP
Tony2000

Tony2000

FNG
I was mainly wondering about the durability of the blades after hitting bones I'm a little worried about what would happen if I hit the shoulder blade of an elk

Bump on this thread to see if there has been another year of use case knowledge to can provide insight

Zac

WKR
I was mainly wondering about the durability of the blades after hitting bones I'm a little worried about what would happen if I hit the shoulder blade of an elk
Probably would not do well. Basically 4 blades you’d need to push through and the front has a lot of ferrule surface area. The main blades are very thinly constructed unless you get the solid version. Fairly typical cheap stainless steel as well. Probably a better antelope, whitetail head.

nphunter

WKR

I'm planning on shooting both heads for elk, deer and antelope next fall, my main head will be the Hyde and I will keep a Jekyll incase the is any chance for deflection. As far as durability I'm sure they would work just fine in an elk shoulder, at least as well or better than 90% of other heads. With the front blade on either head you will get a 3/4" cut no matter what happens to the rear blades. Most COC fixed heads are only 1 1/8" anyway so really you're still almost as well off with an evolution head without the second set of blades as you are with a standard head. The best advice I can offer is aim 4-6" behind the shoulder on an elk, no head is going to guarantee you a pass though on an elk shoulder, this has been proven time and time again.

I've successfully put a rage trypan and G5 dead meat through elk scapulas before, not on purpose. I've also lost several elk over the years with both COC fixed heads and expandables hitting too far forward and connecting with bone. No matter what your shooting hitting an elk in the front shoulder is a crap shoot.