Broadhead tuning with mechanicals

PhillyB

WKR
How does everyone do this? Obviously the claim is they fly like field points, but I assume you still shoot them to make sure they do.

So do you shoot one and consider it a practice head? Or do you shoot each one then replace the blades before the season?

I want to try the Rocket Steelhead but not sure to go about checking them in flight with my setup without dulling the point and the blades a bit.

Although you might get a set that are all exactly true when screwed into the shaft, it would still be a good idea to shoot each one to see if it flies true, then mark it for which arrow it goes on. Once you know they all fly true you can then add new blades.

JNDEER

WKR
a quick down and dirty tuning:

1. set my bow up for centershot and my arrow 90* to the string.
2. sight the bow in at 10 yds
3. shoot one arrow at 10, 20, 30, 35, 40, 45 (35 is enough) and check for vertical
stringing. If not adjust rest accordingly and repeat. (walk back tuning with FP)
4. Shoot a FT then a BH at 20 yds and 'chase' the BH with the FT by moving the rest in the direction toward the BH. (Tip: when you start getting close, either at 2
different aiming points or shoo the BH first. It saves your fletching.)
5. Move back to 30 or even 40 yds and do the same thing. Remember in steps 4 and
5 you only move the rest in 1/32" increments.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been shooting the TT Edge this year. Truly identical FP and BH point of impact. I have shot them out to 120 yards setting up my Tommy Hogg and they have been awesome. Good thing is you can set them up for practice so they fly normal but blades don't deploy. Great broadhead so far. I will see how they work on animals in about 10 weeks.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
I have been shooting the TT Edge this year. Truly identical FP and BH point of impact. I have shot them out to 120 yards setting up my Tommy Hogg and they have been awesome. Good thing is you can set them up for practice so they fly normal but blades don't deploy. Great broadhead so far. I will see how they work on animals in about 10 weeks.

What are your thoughts so far on the deployment? Have you shot them into anything and let them open up?
I shot Rage a few years ago and had a real bad experience. I am interested in the but reluctant because of past experiences with mechanicals

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
Only broadhead targets. If you check their website they have a video about the broadhead. The blades, once open, can't close until you actually wedge them apart, so it is pretty solid. So far I have zero complaints.

OP
PhillyB

PhillyB

WKR
Only broadhead targets. If you check their website they have a video about the broadhead. The blades, once open, can't close until you actually wedge them apart, so it is pretty solid. So far I have zero complaints.

Now the trick is finding them. They are on back order everywhere. I will give them a shot and see what happens

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are about 10 packs at Wilderness Archery in Rocklin, CA. Maybe give them a call and see if they will send them to you.