Broadhead sharpening, using a strop

Marble

WKR
Listening to a podcast the other day (Kiafrucast) and a guy was complaining the ironwill was too hard to sharpen. So it got me thinking I probably should try to make sure mine are ready for this year's hunt.

So I decided to sharpen my ironwill S125 heads. They all had been through my block target maybe 8 to 10 times each. They were still really sharp.

The first head I used my spyderco sharpener and the strop. It was sharp enough to shave layers off the lancaster archery catalog when I was done.

The next one I followed instructions from ironwill and disassembled the broadhead. I didn't use the sharpener, just the strop. Same result. Razor sharp.

Using the strop was actually really easy. And it was a cheap, two sided strop with lubricant from Amazon for like $10. One YouTube video later and I was in business. I used it on a few of my knives and I'll have to admit I'm a fan. It basically takes a hair shaving edge and makes it just a little extra.

I know the IW heads are something like 60 on the hardness scale. The harder a metal is the harder it is to sharpen. Im sure if I rolled an edge on one it might be a little tough to clean up and get sharp again. But I've never had an edge I couldn't fix and make it right again.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Wrench

WKR
I just fired up my wen wet grinder (tormek clone). It has an 8 inch round leather strop.....holy crap. Where has this been all my life?

I can take a zwickey from the package to shaving sharp in under 5 mins.

I think that guy was taking about in the field sharpening, either way that was a weird podcast

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I think that guy was taking about in the field sharpening, either way that was a weird podcast
I think youre right. Thanks for saying that cause it's an important distinction.

I know with the Kudu points I've just taken my rat tail file out and fixed one in a few minutes.

OP
M

Marble

WKR
I just fired up my wen wet grinder (tormek clone). It has an 8 inch round leather strop.....holy crap. Where has this been all my life?

I can take a zwickey from the package to shaving sharp in under 5 mins.
Out of all that playing around with sharpening the heads with the strop, I just can't beleive I've never given it a try. And it was only $10.