Broadhead selection for a short draw female archer

Rodmor80

FNG
Looking for some suggestions as to a good broadhead for western mule deer hunt for a short draw archer. My wife just ordered her Matthew's Prima and decided on some victory micro diameter arrows. She has a draw length of 22.5" on a 40lb setup.

Bump79

WKR
I'd go with the Magnus Stinger Killer Bee 7/8" cut without bleeders. I'd get my total arrow weight around 400, shoot a micro arrow and get really close.

Another option would be the Terra Firma Gladius. I'd think that design would do good as well for short draw. Probably not as good as a 2 blade though.

This might be a decent option.

Another option

Last edited:

hiker270

WKR
There are many good COC broadheads. I prefer the NAP Hellrazor or Montec G5. Lighter poundage setups benefit from the COC design with better penetration. My grandson will be hunting this year with his compound set at 40 lbs using a 100 gr Montec G5.

OP
R

Rodmor80

FNG
Thank you all for the great responses. We actually have some of the stingers already as well as a set that looks like the Gladius but are made by helix. Looks like she's going to learn to sharpen her own broadheads this year. I have a set of grizzly stick 100gr but I don't remember which model. She's going to have to try some of them out and see which fly the best.

Bump79

WKR
Thank you all for the great responses. We actually have some of the stingers already as well as a set that looks like the Gladius but are made by helix. Looks like she's going to learn to sharpen her own broadheads this year. I have a set of grizzly stick 100gr but I don't remember which model. She's going to have to try some of them out and see which fly the best.
Looks like you're setup! Good luck.

With a 400 gr arrow, and those specs, she'll still be shooting a faster arrow than many trad hunters. You can definitely use a 1 1/8" to 1 1/4" cut head. I much prefer the Magnus Black Hornet to the Stinger, due to a stronger ferrule design. VPA 3 blades would probably do well if you can get them sharp, and don't buy into the long narrow broadhead penetrating better. The surface area of the blade increases friction.

I’m shooting a 25” draw at 60lbs and killed a few deer with some RMS Cut throats last season. I had good luck with them but the single bevels take a beating when they hit the dirt. Thankfully they’re easy to resharpen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m shooting a 25” draw at 60lbs and killed a few deer with some RMS Cut throats last season. I had good luck with them but the single bevels take a beating when they hit the dirt. Thankfully they’re easy to resharpen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Came here to recommend the cut throats love the steel they use