Broadhead choice for this year

mvmnts

WKR
After a second year of trying to get slick tricks to fly, I am switching from ramcats to Iron Wills. 125gr solids. I thought they were ridiculous when announced, but I am extremely pleased with them. My two practice heads are still as sharp or sharper than my other heads come brand new. And the skb broadhead case that comes with the 6 pack is really nice.

Ophidian

Lil-Rokslider
Only doing whitetail this year so:
Trypans on my 514gr total weight FMJs
Stinger Buzzcut 125gr 4blade on my 433gr total weight FMJs

SKYNET KC

FNG
Probably one of these three. Haven't decided what i'm gonna fling at a little whitetail yet. Probably the middle one.

2uo5maa.jpg

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Well, the year is just about a wrap and ran all mechanicals this year with 100% success. The Rage Trypans, Hypos and the SS Gators with zero issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kickemall

WKR
Well, the year is just about a wrap and ran all mechanicals this year with 100% success. The Rage Trypans, Hypos and the SS Gators with zero issues.

Of those three, did you notice any difference in flight or performance or develop a preference?

s125 Ironwill did it for me this year, shot it well over 100 times into the target, some light touch-ups and zipped through an old bruiser of an elk at 73 yards. It's back in the rotation after a bit of touching up on my sharpening bench to put another down next year.

Zac

WKR
Are all of these ferrules aluminum? I was pretty set on a Silver Flame until I discovered this

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Of those three, did you notice any difference in flight or performance or develop a preference?

Trypans I would say are my preference
Rages new ones for 2019 with no collars should be great and I will probably use those this coming year

Scott/IL

Lil-Rokslider
Trypans I would say are my preference
Rages new ones for 2019 with no collars should be great and I will probably use those this coming year

Do you have a link for these? Expandable wise, I’ve been using killzones so I didn’t have to mess with bands or collars. The Killzone quality has gone down though IMO.

Trial153

WKR
I have bunch lined up this year. I want to set up third bow for this year but so far havent found anything I must have.
Any way for lopes, mulies and whitetails I am going with 100grain four bladed Oz cuts and Raptortricks.
For my caribou this year I will use Raptor tricks as well.
Elk if I draw again this year will the heads as same as last year, ironwills and soilds.
I have moose tag so I going with ironwills for that also.

Depending on what my draw luck is I might cash in my Iowa points and hunt iowa again. If I do i will use soilds in Iowa.

MtnOyster

WKR
With 2018 getting close to the end I’m going into the 2019 season with the same brand I been using since 1990.
THUNDERHEADS
44f2478ee0c57243dd38cf492e9730b3.jpg

I started the season preparing for elk with the st standard 125 after a few slight tweaks they were flying great, after a couple weeks I was shooting great groups for me out to 80, didn't get an elk but shot a few whitetail. first was with the afflictor it was a little further back liver shot, not a ton of blood mostly pooled in the cavity. next was with a viper trick same thing liver shot, he lived a long time shot was at first light and a caretaker next door saw him getting chased by a coyote around 3pm, he lived the next day and died on the side of the road the following day I cant help but think he would have died much quicker with a big expandable on a marginal shot. I tracked him about 300 yards and lost blood and he died about 3-400 yards from that. the last was with a Sevr head and again back of lung liver shot, almost zero blood I was following tiny pinhead specs but the deer didn't make it 60 yards last year I shot a big buck square in the shoulder it got about an inch of penetration and snapped right infront of the HIT insert that as a 475 grain arrows at 72 lbs, so ive been gun shy about close to shoulder shots that why ive been shooting to far back, I just bought some solid iron will 125 and will be running them with footers next year hope to be around 525 grains, hope to blow through some shoulders with that

OP
ontarget7

ontarget7

WKR
Do you have a link for these? Expandable wise, I’ve been using killzones so I didn’t have to mess with bands or collars. The Killzone quality has gone down though IMO.

0d78b55f9a4f507609da3aec8c1a0cf4.jpg

Bought gravediggers and dead meats to try this year the diggers were not very sharp at all out of the package so looks like the deadmeats will be on my top arrows.
I don't reply much on the forum, mostly just read. However, I went all in on the deadmeat broadhead last year, bought two packs and some practice tips and was not pleased. I practiced with the practice tips, but when I tried to shoot the real thing right before the season, they wouldn't come back out of the target. I had to pull so hard to get it out of a rinehard 18-1 that the core cracked. I shot one doe at 20 yards with 70lb 500 grain arrow, full past through, never opened...I have had that happen with two spitfires over the years, which is a broadhead I have always trusted. Maybe, this was a fluke but I was extremely disappointed. I'd love to hear from you about your season with them. For the rest of the year I switched to a magnus 4 blade buzzcut (first fixed blade I've tried) with great success.
P.S. Only hunting whitetails.

I don't reply much on the forum, mostly just read. However, I went all in on the deadmeat broadhead last year, bought two packs and some practice tips and was not pleased. I practiced with the practice tips, but when I tried to shoot the real thing right before the season, they wouldn't come back out of the target. I had to pull so hard to get it out of a rinehard 18-1 that the core cracked. I shot one doe at 20 yards with 70lb 500 grain arrow, full past through, never opened...I have had that happen with two spitfires over the years, which is a broadhead I have always trusted. Maybe, this was a fluke but I was extremely disappointed. I'd love to hear from you about your season with them. For the rest of the year I switched to a magnus 4 blade buzzcut (first fixed blade I've tried) with great success.
P.S. Only hunting whitetails.

I’ve never looked at a dead meat but with spitfires all the ones I’ve used snap closed after passing through a target or deer, I taped both sides of the target and saw it opened but closed after passing through the target. I was cursing them up and down till I did the tape trick