Bringing the family along on out of state hunting trips - camper questions too

Finch

WKR
Hello all. So as of a week ago, the family and I have decided to head to CO this Sept. My company has generously given their employees that still have to report to work during the stay at home order extra vacation. I have an extra 80 hours and have spontaneously chosen to go elk hunting again. The wife is onboard and realizes that I'll be hunting most of the time while she watches the kids (ages 7 & 2 1/2) during the day. Basically what she does now but it will be in a more beautiful setting. This will be my 4th trip and the past 3 trips, my buddy and I have backpack hunted. I'm actually looking forward to a warm bed to sleep and the extra creature comforts for once. I envision returning to camp mid day since experience has shown me that this can be a slow time. I'm also fine with this being a more leisurely hunting trip - meaning I'll be in hunt mode and family vacation mode, if that makes sense. I'm looking at it like a family vacation with an elk tag in my pocket. I'll bring all my backpack gear along if I decide to spike out for a night.

We have a pop up camper but have been looking to upgrade anyway. I've always felt that travel trailers weren't really "camping" as I enjoy the tent feel which you still kinda get with a pop up. I am pretty fond of the PUP but I think its time to move on. Plus, I don't think we'll survive a week in that thing. Couple questions.

1. Has anyone else taken the family along on a hunt?
2. The area I've hunted in the past has a nearby state park. I'm thinking this would be a good option to stay since it will have amenities and things for the family to do while I'm hunting.
3. If not staying at a campground, do you worry about finding a spot for your camper?
4. We are not opposed to boondocking to be further in - guess I should think about a generator?
5 The camper we really like is 27'. This is a little longer than I initially wanted and we still may decide to go shorter.
6. Any thoughts or tips and tricks?

BTW...added some pics from a recent family camping trip last week in Virginia Natl Forest. Tagged out on my 3rd longbeard of the year. If elk hunting is "like" turkey hunting, I should've tagged out each year I've gone to CO. :D

20200508_100330.jpg

20200508_100526 (1).jpg

I know a lot of people who do exactly what you are talking about. They camp off a forest service road or at a camp ground and drive the truck to the trail head each morning.

If you get the camper, look for one with the axels flipped to give you more clearance. Mine came new that way. Yes on the generator. Especially if you will be somewhere without hook ups. A rainy day or two and your family will appreciate power beyond just lights. If boondocking, have a plan for emptying your black tank. Maybe a mid trip relocation with a stop at a dump station.

11boo

WKR
The camper size will be dependent on the tow vehicle. I pulled a 20’ double axle camper cross country several times with a Ford Expedition EL with the big V8. It did fine, even over the mts. Not sure how much bigger a camper I would have wanted to tow, that seemed just right, and was around 6k lbs loaded. I’m sure any bigger and I would have needed airbags in the rear of the ford. I just used the ball, no anti sway hookup.
you will need a brake controller, easy install and they work great.

FLAK

WKR
I've done it from hotels (only way my wife will camp).
Not ideal IMO, at least as far as the hunting goes.
Too many varied interests for a serious hunt.

mlgc20

WKR
I take my family hunting a lot. My kids are now 10 and 13. So, I take them hunting and let the wife stay home. It’s a win win. I can go hunting whenever I want, because she gets a week “off”. We do al sorts of different camp configurations. We have a 32’ travel trailer, a large outfitters tent with stove, and regular backpacking tents. All the formats are fun and have their place depending on the hunt.

You’re right. Travel trailers are not camping. We look at our TT as a hotel replacement. Not a tent replacement. I don’t take my TT off road. A lot of folks do. But, that’s when I like to use a tent. We have much more flexibility driving around without a giant trailer.

My advice would be to immediately upgrade the tires on whatever RV you get. The ones that come standard on most pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheels etc., are complete garbage. Spend a little extra and take it to a tire shop and get some high quality tires. It drives much better and will give you peace of mind that you don’t have a blowout waiting to happen.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
The camper size will be dependent on the tow vehicle. I pulled a 20’ double axle camper cross country several times with a Ford Expedition EL with the big V8. It did fine, even over the mts. Not sure how much bigger a camper I would have wanted to tow, that seemed just right, and was around 6k lbs loaded. I’m sure any bigger and I would have needed airbags in the rear of the ford. I just used the ball, no anti sway hookup.
you will need a brake controller, easy install and they work great.

Thanks. Tow vehicle is a 2016 Tundra 5.7L and it actually has a built in brake controller that came factory.

OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
I take my family hunting a lot. My kids are now 10 and 13. So, I take them hunting and let the wife stay home. It’s a win win. I can go hunting whenever I want, because she gets a week “off”. We do al sorts of different camp configurations. We have a 32’ travel trailer, a large outfitters tent with stove, and regular backpacking tents. All the formats are fun and have their place depending on the hunt.

You’re right. Travel trailers are not camping. We look at our TT as a hotel replacement. Not a tent replacement. I don’t take my TT off road. A lot of folks do. But, that’s when I like to use a tent. We have much more flexibility driving around without a giant trailer.

My advice would be to immediately upgrade the tires on whatever RV you get. The ones that come standard on most pop ups, travel trailers, fifth wheels etc., are complete garbage. Spend a little extra and take it to a tire shop and get some high quality tires. It drives much better and will give you peace of mind that you don’t have a blowout waiting to happen.

Thanks. Good tip on the tires. I wonder if i can talk my wife into staying in a big outfitter tent. :)

mlgc20

WKR
Thanks. Good tip on the tires. I wonder if i can talk my wife into staying in a big outfitter tent. :)

it would be worth giving it a try. I just took the whole family camping in the outfitter tent last week. We have nice cots and sleeping pads. It’s not much like “real” camping either. The wife even commented about how comfortable it is.

Elk97

WKR
How much will you use the new trailer besides hunting? I wouldn't buy/maintain one if I wasn't going to use it quite a bit through the year. 27' is big, too big to get it into the places I take mine but fine for state parks, etc. Check out the Outdoors RV trailers, they are made for offroad.

SoDaky

WKR
Fun. Doable real easy. My wife has Lymes and rarely elk hunts anymore so every other year i take the camper and she comes with. Pic is New Mexico last year.

Attachments

• 2517A03D-29BC-4732-A3E6-550453CE5ABA.jpeg
    2517A03D-29BC-4732-A3E6-550453CE5ABA.jpeg
    133.4 KB · Views: 61
OP
Finch

Finch

WKR
How much will you use the new trailer besides hunting? I wouldn't buy/maintain one if I wasn't going to use it quite a bit through the year. 27' is big, too big to get it into the places I take mine but fine for state parks, etc. Check out the Outdoors RV trailers, they are made for offroad.

We do camp quite a bit and I feel like we'd take more camping vacations if we had something a little bigger. The pop up has been fun but it sure is a pain to set up/take down.

What type and size do you have?

Couple points on outfitter tent vs. camper for the family. First is the camper has a real bathroom. Yes you have limited black tank capacity, but for the middle of the cold night trips.... Second is thermostated heat vs. having to stoke a wood stove or running a propane all night. Lastly, was in my first post, having power so if its a miserable day weather wise the kids / wife can watch tv, or at least have music etc to pass the day. You will only be in the camper at night, but they will be there 24-7 for the trip!

-dan

fmyth

WKR
May not pertain to you but I wish I would have done more research on size limits for national and state park rv camping spots. My last trailer was 35' and although most parks had spots big enough they were few and almost always reserved many months in advance. We dropped down to a 28' bumper pull for 2 years and are now considering dropping down to an even smaller 23-24' toy hauler. Pull the toy hauler to the hunting site, back out the UTV or 4x4 GEO Tracker and take it hunting. Truck stays in camp for wife, kids etc.

Whatever you buy you may have to flip the axles to gain enough clearance to pull off the road when boon docking without ripping off your sewer drains etc.

Found this: https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/
  • RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
  • RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)

Last edited:

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
May not pertain to you but I wish I would have done more research on size limits for national and state park rv camping spots. My last trailer was 35' and although most parks had spots big enough they were few and almost always reserved many months in advance. We dropped down to a 28' bumper pull for 2 years and are now considering dropping down to an even smaller 23-24' toy hauler. Pull the toy hauler to the hunting site, back out the UTV of 4x4 GEO Tracker and take it hunting. Truck stays in camp for wife, kids etc.

Whatever you buy you may have to flip the axles to gain enough clearance to pull off the road when boon docking without ripping off your sewer drains etc.

Found this: https://camperreport.com/best-rv-length-for-national-parks/
  • RVs up to 12′ in length fit in every national park campground in the United States, although there are a few campgrounds that don’t allow RVs at all and are tent only.
  • RVs up to 19′ in length fit in 98% of all national park service campgrounds.
  • RVs up to 25′ in length fit in 93% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 29′ in length fit in 84% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 32′ in length fit in 81% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 35′ in length fit in 73% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 37′ in length fit in 60% of all national park campgrounds
  • RVs up to 40′ in length fit in 53% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
  • RVs up to 41′ in length fit in 7% of all national park campgrounds (Remember that many of the parks will only have a few sites this size, however. Book long in advance if reservations are available–otherwise you run the risk of not having a spot)
Solid advice right here! After pulling a 40ft fiver all over the western rockies and now in a 40ft rig for work, I can honestly say that while the amenities of larger rigs are awesome they come at the price of limitations! Not only will you be limited to the size of campgrounds but the size of your tow vehicle will need to be considered as well!

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Elk97

WKR
We do camp quite a bit and I feel like we'd take more camping vacations if we had something a little bigger. The pop up has been fun but it sure is a pain to set up/take down.

What type and size do you have?
We have a Nash 17K which is about 19-20' minus the tongue. It's too small for a family but it's great to get into places we hunt (rough dirt roads, creek crossings, etc) and is a true 4 season trailer. We've been looking at the Outdoors RV models in the 21-23 range.

Taking the whole family along sounds both awesome/memorable but also a huge pain in the ass for actually getting effective hunting in lol. Just have fun and make some good memories and shoot the first legal animal you can (y)

My Dad and his old fart buddies bought travel trailers to elk and deer hunt from about 15 years ago. They go the same places and same seasons and "circle the wagons" into a little village. He has since passed, but I still take a camper up with them and hunt. A couple of things I'd add or emphasize:

It will be way easier to keep the wife and kids happy with a camper and generator than a tent while you are out hunting.

You don't have to come home mid day every day to check on them if the wife and older kid know how to do things like fuel the generator. You can spend dark to dark out in the woods and come home to a nice meal in the crock pot, warm water to wash your face, and a warm, dry bed.

The Tundra can likely pull a 27' camper with a slide out, but, speaking from very recent experience, a 2020 Tundra does not stop a 27' camper nearly as well as a 3/4 or 1 ton truck will. Expect to go slow and plan on starting to stop way earlier than you think you need to. Also, make sure you set your brake controller as indicated in the instructions.

Honda generators are expensive but usually much quieter than the harbor freight versions. The 2000i runs everything on our camper except for the air conditioner and will run for about 8 hours on a tank of gas. One person can pick it up easily. On that note, bring a cable and pad lock and lock up your generator. I also lock up nice coolers outside as well.

Finally, nice turkey, but look out for that poison ivy!

boom

WKR
i did Idaho like that. well, not with the family. but i would research the campsites. in Idaho, it was the off season the campsite were closed. but they allowed you to pull in for free. maybe call Colorado sites? we had a real pit toilet and a few campsites up, they had spigot. knowing what we know now..pull up to the site with the spigot and hook up to water?

it did slow down the hunt. we went with a few guys that were out of shape. we had to keep that in mind.

oh, we used our POP-UP. i wouldnt pony up cash for a new rig now. not in this climate.