Breaking Rules, Tack, and Everything Else: My DIY Horseback Hunting Chronicle

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
To cut right to it: I’ve had a heck of time finding info on “How” to hunt off a horse. It seems that the majority out there learn this stuff either by being born into a ranch family, or working as a guide and learning that way.

I’m neither. So that sucks. And it’s bloody hard to find decent info on the actual “How the heck do I do this?” part of things.

So this thread will (1) Document all the dumb things I’ve done trying to figure this game out, and (2) Hopefully provide some helpful How-To for the people out there who want to give this a shot. I

Full disclosure: I’ve had a ton of help by reading posts and reaching out to roksliders like @Pony Soldier, @missjordan, @Travis Hobbs, @wymtnpounder There’s some really squared away people on this forum (I’m not one of them) and it’s worth asking them for help. @Chase0109 thread https://rokslide.com/forums/threads/how-to-hunt-with-horses.158633/#post-1503634 was a great resource too.

About Me:

I’m a late 30’s self-employed office weenie. I have young kids, a mortgage, a budget, and have time commitments that take me away from hunting. I juggle as much as I can. I’ve always wanted to horseback hunt the backcountry, and over the last 2 years started working towards that goal. I’m no expert – far from it. I don’t really have any friends who horseback hunt either.

Due to personal failings, my focus is always the 80/20 Rule: Give me something functional, that works 80% of the time, and be happy with that. Obsessing over the 20% is bad, and to be avoided at all costs.

My approach to horseback hunting follows this: Keep it functional, and make sure whatever you’re doing mostly works most of the time. No doubt there’s a bunch of fancier ways of doing things out there, but I’m limited in time/competence/money, or a combination of all three.

Anyway, hopefully by posting all the dumb things I've done and continue to do here, it might help some people in the future who want to try their hand at this horseback hunting thing.

OP
yycyak

yycyak

Lil-Rokslider
ON HORSES

BLUF: Find someone who knows something about horses. Have them help you/find the horse for you. Don’t shoot yourself in the foot by thinking you know about stuff that you don’t have a clue about.

So this is a shocker. To hunt on horseback, you need a horse.

This means fire up the classifieds, read an ad about a wicked awesome amazing pony, and good to go right?

No. Don’t do this. (It’s what I did when I started, and it has sucked. Although there’s a silver lining at the end of that mess.)

Step 1. You don’t know anything about horses. So don’t even try.

There’s not enough books, youtube videos, whatever out there for you to become good at this game. Instead, you’re going to need to rely on actual horse people to help you out. This part sucks (I want to DIY this – what the heck), but trust me – try to not do that here.

Go through your social circle. Find someone, anyone, who knows horses. English, western, outfitter, whatever, doesn’t matter: They just need to know wtf they are doing.

Be friends with this person. Tell them what you’re trying to do. Ask if you can impose and have them look at ponies with you. This person is going to be your helpful guide. You’re putting a lot of trust in this person, but once found, it’s the secret to skipping a lot of the crap out there. And the horse world is loaded with crap I’m learning.

Step 2. Keywords: “Husband Horse” and “Kid Horse”

In a perfect world, your trusted person already knows someone who knows someone who has a good horse for sale. Usually that’s the best way to go. Failing that, there’s another route that seems pretty good.

The recreational horse world is mostly dominated by women. (I believe the stat is 90% of horse owners are women.) These ladies have this quirky term called “Husband Horse”. It’s a term that is supposed to mean a horse that would be good for a clueless husband to ride. The implication here being that the husband isn’t horse-savvy at all, and just needs a plug-and-play, non-fancy horse. Quirky, but also generally factually true.

“Kid’s Horse”, well that’s self-explanatory.

These keywords will help narrow down your search. It’s not perfect, but hey, 80/20.

These horses are usually calm-ish, and can mostly get down a trail without much drama. They also don’t do fancy stuff like jump, cut, rein, sliding stops, or whatever else is trendy on Yellowstone these days. They just kind of walk from A to B. Note: A younger Husband Horse will be expensive. Majority you will find out there are usually 18 years old+ - You need to decide what you want to do here.

Step 3. Go shopping.

I can’t really say much here, other than start searching. Once found, get the person to take a bunch of videos. If they won’t, red flag. Move on.

Here’s a smart cowboy talking about this:

Okay so you find a horse you like. Go see it in person. Bring your smart horse dude with you. Have your smart person check it out. This process can be an ordeal and take a bunch of time, but let’s assume the horse gets a green light from your Smart Person.

Step 4. Thou Shalt Always PPE

Repeat after me: You don’t know horses. And that’s fine. So you’re going to have Smart People look at the critter, and they are going to save you thousands of dollars and tons of emotional frustration.

A Pre-Purchase Exam is part of this process. A vet is going to check out the horse. It’s going to tell you a bunch of stuff, including how old the horse is.

Note to self: People lie about horse’s ages ALL. THE. TIME. The PPE solves this.

The PPE will also generally find foot problems.

Yes, this costs money. Yes, there’s a possibility that the PPE finds problems, you back out of the sale, and you’re out $300 (or whatever.) You need to get it through your head that this is money well spent.

The trick to this game is to not buy someone else’s headache. $300 is cheap insurance to avoid this trap.

Step 5. Repeat

Repeat 2, 3, and 4 until you find a keeper. Done

I didn’t follow this process for my first horse. I watched youtube videos for months, jumped into the classifieds, found a pony, skipped the PPE. Great hilarity ensued.

For my second horse, I had the good fortune to have a friend (who is also a squared horse guy) send me a text saying “There’s a horse for sale. You should buy it.” So I did. It was that fast, and didn’t require any energy on my part. PPE worked out. And that horse has been a beauty.

Anyway, that’s about all I have on this. In summary, a backpack hunter with a full-time job doing not-horses/not-hunting, who decides on a whim to try this horse thing, is not going to have the skill-set needed to ID a decent horse. But there are ways to stack the odds in your favour.

Be ruthless in getting videos from sellers. Find someone who knows horses, and have them help you (read: take pity on you). And then, like they say: you roll the dice.

One last thing: Money solves a lot of Life's problems, and this applies to horses. If you have a large budget, you can skip a lot of problems. I don’t have a large budget, which is part of the motivation behind this thread. You can watch in real-time where going "Budget" does/doesn't work.