Breaking in shooting tabs

Update trimmed the tab and still have a similar sensation of the tab pushing against my face. I'll try trimming again.

Also I get the string hitting my lip using the new stiffer tab (developing a micro fat lip). I'm anchoring with my middle finger behind my K9 tooth.
i trim mine as short as i possibly can, while still maintaining finger protection. like mentioned above, it takes a lot of arrows to break in a cordovan tab, but it's well worth it... once you do, they last a long time. every tab will feel different for awhile too, so once you get one you like, buy another and break it in so you have a useable spare. my last tab seemed like it took a week of fairly high volume shooting to break in. give it some time, nothing comes quick with traditional archery, and any little change feels pretty substantial.

OP
bisblue

bisblue

WKR
i trim mine as short as i possibly can, while still maintaining finger protection. like mentioned above, it takes a lot of arrows to break in a cordovan tab, but it's well worth it... once you do, they last a long time. every tab will feel different for awhile too, so once you get one you like, buy another and break it in so you have a useable spare. my last tab seemed like it took a week of fairly high volume shooting to break in. give it some time, nothing comes quick with traditional archery, and any little change feels pretty substantial.
I shot a few hundred arrows through mine over a few weeks and it just never got where I wanted it to be.

Last edited:

Insomnia

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a few hundred arrows through mine and it just never got where I wanted it to be
A few hundred arrows is probably a day or two of high volume shooting, depending on whatever an individual's definition of high volume shooting is. With any decent quality thickness cordovan, really breaking in the tab takes me about 800 arrows. Breaking in the suede backing to mold to my fingers takes about 1200-1300.

A few hundred arrows is probably a day or two of high volume shooting, depending on whatever an individual's definition of high volume shooting is. With any decent quality thickness cordovan, really breaking in the tab takes me about 800 arrows. Breaking in the suede backing to mold to my fingers takes about 1200-1300.
i would guess that's about right in line with my experience, i just never have paid that much attention, i know it goes from uncomfortable (relative to a broke in tab) to all of a sudden broken in one day, but there are a lot of arrows flung between the 2

I shot a few hundred arrows through mine over a few weeks and it just never got where I wanted it to be.
give it some more time, i think you'll be better off if you stick it out and break that tab in. i prefer the thicker cordovan tabs, there are some i don't like because they're too thin, all i care to feel is the string is in the right spot on my fingers, any more feel than that and nothing good comes from it (for me) the thicker cordovan gives me a cleaner release, and i don't get sore spots shooting a lot... some weeks i will shoot a bunch if there is nothing to hunt, fishing isn't good, and the ocean is too rough to work, i will just shoot

ScottinPA

WKR
I just replaced my Eichler split cordovan tab after 13 years. I have another as a spare but wanted to try something else. I have an Omnivore Homestead tab and a Safari Tuff cordovan. Had to trim the Omnivore cuz it was hitting my face like you mention. Its thick so I used game shears. I also put Montana Pitch Blend on each, let it soak, then buff it on my jeans to polish. Both seem to shoot well. I think the Safari is a little cleaner but the Omnivore a little more comfortable. Both are thicker than the Eichler which I'm finding is great with my heavy bows.

ozyclint

WKR
Marksman Quivers makes tabs now. Available with various upgrades of different leathers including calf hair. Split and 3 under.
They even offer uncut versions of each so you can cut your own profile for a custom fit.

I ripped a chunk from my bottom lip, and it freakin hurt like a mother. For me it's all about head position, not over drawing, and pulling through the shot so my hand ends up at my shoulder.
This is spot on. I was hitting my lip for a while, and I was trying so hard to stop it, it got worse. Honestly, just keep your head up and look at the target, bring that string to your anchor, don’t bring your face to the string too. That’s kinda what fixed my issue.

Boydo90

FNG
I have had the Black widow and the Safari Tuff. I had to trim both of them to fit. I think I prefer the Safari Tuff. Its a very robust tab and as long as I dont lose it should last forever