Brand new stock... McMillan Mountaineer

Its almost like these stock manufacturers write various features on small pieces of paper, pull a few from the hat at random, and that's next year's stock. They can then come up with reasons why its needed, and people buy it.

Huh, another negative comb, nice to see. The drop at monte-carlo appears to be very close to even with the bore, which is pretty good and significantly better than many monte carlo stocks. So effectively this stock is like a high-combed flat stock with a “fixed” negative comb-riser. This should shoot approximately like a krg bravo, but more comfortable on the cheek due to the negative slope.
This is an interesting stock to me, as I have been finding at least one of the really high-butt-above-bore-line negative-comb stocks results in me seating the recoil pad only with the bottom-half of the pad contacting my shoulder pocket when shooting offhand. Some if that is me, but at least for me this stock (in principle, the devil is in the details) would result in similar recoil mechanics, but better pad contact.

They can’t properly design a stock to save their lives.
Not to be argumentative, but how is this one markedly different than the Rokstok aside from the drop at the back? It's got a scalloped, flat forend; arca; flat(ter) toe; negative comb; and more ergonomic grip. Aside from the drop, those are literally all of the design cues of the RS, from what I understand.

They can’t properly design a stock to save their lives.
Probably get blasted for this one, and truth be told I don't know the answer anymore so I apologize for the dumb question.

Didn't the brothers have a world record tightest group for quite some time? I'd think they'd know a little bit about it, but then again are the brothers still alive/in charge? I get there may be some sarcasm in there.

As someone else mentioned, it does look a little like the Rokstock.

Not to be argumentative, but how is this one markedly different than the Rokstok aside from the drop at the back? It's got a scalloped, flat forend; arca; flat(ter) toe; negative comb; and more ergonomic grip. Aside from the drop, those are literally all of the design cues of the RS, from what I understand.

No. Recoil pad is not above bore-line. Slope on toe is extreme and not parallel with bore-line. Forend is sloped and not parallel with bore-line. The forend is flat, it is not on the ROKStok. Grip is extremely fat and looks to have the same very long trigger reach.

Didn't the brothers have a world record tightest group for quite some time? I'd think they'd know a little bit about it, but then again are the brothers still alive/in charge? I get there may be some sarcasm in there.

The family doesn’t own the company anymore, but what does shooting a small group have to do with stock design for hunting (ostensibly mountain hunting)?

As someone else mentioned, it does look a little like the Rokstock.

If the ROKStok has any of those characteristics above that I wrote, I will pour bleach into my eyes.

No. Recoil pad is not above bore-line. Slope on toe is extreme and not parallel with bore-line. Forend is sloped and not parallel with bore-line. The forend is flat, it is not on the ROKStok. Grip is extremely fat and looks to have the same very long trigger reach.

The family doesn’t own the company anymore, but what does shooting a small group have to do with stock design for hunting (ostensibly mountain hunting)?

If the ROKStok has any of those characteristics above that I wrote, I will pour bleach into my eyes.
Bolt handle cutout.....cough bleach cough.

In all seriousness, as mentioned I wasn't sure if they dealt with it anymore. And to be fair, you just said stock design, not hunting stock design.

McMillan grips have always been pretty thicc. Unfortunate for those of us not blessed with adult sized hands; it's honestly hard to convey how much more work goes into controlling and manipulating a gun when a grip is too fat for your hand(s).

McMillan grips have always been pretty thicc. Unfortunate for those of us not blessed with adult sized hands; it's honestly hard to convey how much more work goes into controlling and manipulating a gun when a grip is too fat for your hand(s).
This one looks a lot less thicc than usual. It’s even spec’d in the notes underneath and with pics
IMG_8912.jpeg
IMG_8913.jpeg

Comparatively it does look like it's thinner than previous McMillan stock grips, but still a fair bit thicker than more common Savage and Tikka grips.

Edit: getting a better look from underneath like that, long trigger reach is long. Again, not a problem for many, but that stock is unusable for me.

Comparatively it does look like it's thinner than previous McMillan stock grips, but still a fair bit thicker than more common Savage and Tikka grips.

Edit: getting a better look from underneath like that, long trigger reach is long. Again, not a problem for many, but that stock is unusable for me.
Allegedly Manners used to (unsure if they still do) set the inlet back if you asked. I’m going to call McMillan when they open Monday and see if they’ll do the same thing. I like the characteristics of this stock but yeah that grip to trigger length looks like a long boi

Allegedly Manners used to (unsure if they still do) set the inlet back if you asked. I’m going to call McMillan when they open Monday and see if they’ll do the same thing. I like the characteristics of this stock but yeah that grip to trigger length looks like a long boi
That'd be a good thing to ask. Let me know what they say.

I like the looks of this one a lot. I'd take off the ARCA, but this seems right up my alley. So whenever I'm ready to buy a stock it'll be between this one and the Peak44 Bastion.

This stock is terribly designed.
Why?

Others have mentioned:
angled bottom on stock and forend will shift poi and fov as it recoils on bags
Top of butt is below bore, increasing muzzle rise compared to if it had a higher butt.

Curious what you are seeing and what you would do differently.

That'd be a good thing to ask. Let me know what they say.

I like the looks of this one a lot. I'd take off the ARCA, but this seems right up my alley. So whenever I'm ready to buy a stock it'll be between this one and the Peak44 Bastion.
They won't move it but they measured the distance and it's 1.8 inches.

Back