Box call reco?

wildcat33

WKR
Im looking to pick up a new box call this year. I'm not looking for an heirloom or something with elegant inlays and exotic wood. Just something that is high quality, relatively affordable, and sounds better than the big box store call Im running now.

Any suggestions?

dtrkyman

WKR
I would second the Halloran, just do not expect to able to use it as well as he does!

I saw a Primos lil heartbreaker call on ebay for 45 bucks, great call as well.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
That name keeps coming up. A bit more high end that I want to go. I dont think I have the skill (or carefullness) to get the most out of a 145 call...

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
FlexTone Beard Box. I had my doubts, but it legit had the best results for us. Called in both of our turkeys last year with no problem. Mine was a late season Tom that had heard plenty of calling and he came in just like a dream. I had more expensive calls that I thought sounded better to my ear, but that cheap call got it done and the turkeys were definitely the most responsive to it for us.

OP
wildcat33

wildcat33

WKR
FlexTone Beard Box. I had my doubts, but it legit had the best results for us. Called in both of our turkeys last year with no problem. Mine was a late season Tom that had heard plenty of calling and he came in just like a dream. I had more expensive calls that I thought sounded better to my ear, but that cheap call got it done and the turkeys were definitely the most responsive to it for us.

15 bucks! That's awesome

Bratch

Lil-Rokslider
Mike got good reviews over on Old-Gobbler. I’m just getting back into turkey hunting and was looking for my first call. He emailed back
and forth with me answering questions. Got my call quickly but since it’s my first I don’t have a quality frame of reference.

Donjuan

WKR
Im looking to pick up a new box call this year. I'm not looking for an heirloom or something with elegant inlays and exotic wood. Just something that is high quality, relatively affordable, and sounds better than the big box store call Im running now.

Any suggestions?
Look up spring creek calls. I have a box call and 2 Scratch boxes. I think they will be exactly what you want

Holocene

WKR
Get the Halloran. Dave is a great guy and makes a call that will last the rest of your life and is all turkey.

Most of what's below that price point hasn't been made with the same care or precision. You might get a good one, you might not. Knight & Hale Bloodwood Cutter isn't half bad if you want to spend $50.

If budget matters a lot, maybe check on ebay or a turkey hunting forum and get some old hand made box call perhaps?

This is coming from someone who just got back from the NWTF convention in Nashville and just for kicks tried about 100 different box calls at various booths, the competition tables, and the vintage table where original Neil Cost boxes etc. were on display. Oh, I run a few turkey workshops a year and we hand out a $5 plastic box call to every participant and some of our students kill birds with those!

Mosby

WKR
I used to go the the NWTF show every year and buy calls for fun. ET Calls out of PA makes some really great calls. I used to buy his calls when he sold them out of his backpack. One of my personal favorites. Halloran makes great calls too. I have one of his glass calls in my vest. You can never tell about turkey calls. There was a call maker out of Ohio that made a box call entirely out of Walnut. Took it to several shows and nobody bought it. Sounded different than his other calls. He brought it home and hunted with it and I think he killed over 50 turkeys with it before he retired it.