Bows "losing zero" ?

grfox92

WKR
This is my second year bowhunting in WY. Last year I shot a fixed 5 pin Viper sight and had no issue.

The past 2 weekends we have backpacked into the mountains elk hunting. Both me and my hunting partners bows have been off when we get back to civilization. This weekend was pretty ridiculous. My bow was shooting 6" high and 6” right. Last weekend was a little high. Not sure what my partners situation was but he has also had to adjust after both weekends.

This year I'm shooting a MBG 3 pin slider and he's shooting a comparable CBE.

I've been bowhunting whitetails on the east coast for over 20 years. Have had 15 different bows, shot 3d every weekend when I was younger. I have never had this happen. Once my bow was dialed it stayed dialed.

We hunt nasty steep country, full of blow down, burn and beetle kill. We fall every day. This weekend I'm positive I didn't bump my bow falling. My partner thinks our bows are just taking a beating because of how hard we are going. Climbing logs walking creeks, falling down lol. We did 21 miles and 8500 feet of elevation gain in 2 days last week.

I was pretty discouraged to see how my bow was shooting today. I've been shooting this set up for months before season with no adjustment needed. Now I have this doubt in the back of my mind that my bow will be off when the moment of truth comes. Anyone ever deal with something like this?

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Tahoe1305

WKR
I was hunting last weekend and shooting a few arrows every day. Third day arrow misses broadhead target by 2’ and snaps on a rock.

Scratched my head. Luckily I had some pictures of my sight and rest settings before the hunt. Somehow my rest microadjust spun two whole revolutions. Adjusted back to pictures setting and dead center.

It happened two more times that hunt (but I noticed it). I’m fairly confident my bow was rubbing my knife on my belt and spinning the microadjust. I just added some blue loctite blob to it in an effort to stiffen the resistance up a bit for future.

Anyway, possibly happening to you as well.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
Mark your equipment with a sharpie so you can tell if anything moved. Sight, rest, peep.

EDIT: I sometimes mark my cams for timing too. I typically use pencil rather than a sharpie (too permanent).

Yea it happens. Cables and string stretch. On rough hunts things can move. It’s a bummer but part of the deal. On hunts I always really
Try to baby my bow

Going from a lower elevation (closer to sea level) to a much higher elevation will, without a doubt, change how your bow shoots. You will tend to shoot higher than you would at home.

Are you noticing this change while in camp/hunting or is this something you’re noticing once you return home? If it happens at camp I’d say it’s pretty typical, though 6” is a pretty big discrepancy regardless.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Going from a lower elevation (closer to sea level) to a much higher elevation will, without a doubt, change how your bow shoots. You will tend to shoot higher than you would at home.

Are you noticing this change while in camp/hunting or is this something you’re noticing once you return home? If it happens at camp I’d say it’s pretty typical, though 6” is a pretty big discrepancy regardless.
I live in Wyoming now. So I'm sighting in at the higher elevation.

I live in Wyoming now. So I'm sighting in at the higher elevation.

Then I’m stumped. For the both of you to be off is a really strange coincidence which is why I was ready to chalk it up to elevation change. Especially if you’re both off a similar amount in similar directions.

Will be curious to see others chime in now.

N2TRKYS

WKR
Mark your equipment with a sharpie so you can tell if anything moved. Sight, rest, peep.

EDIT: I sometimes mark my cams for timing too. I typically use pencil rather than a sharpie (too permanent).

Yep. Just like marking your suspension on your vehicle. Always a good practice.

Read1t48

WKR
Sharpie/pencil whatever is very helpful.
I also make sure everything is nice and tight before final arrow tuning process.

A good quality sight can take a beating. My Spot Hogg is one such sight. It’s built like a tank, heavier than others, and can be used as a baton when the world ends. But I do have confidence it will be durable and remain accurate.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Yep. Just like marking your suspension on your vehicle. Always a good practice.
I'm going to mark up everything and also make sure everything is torqued.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Sharpie/pencil whatever is very helpful.
I also make sure everything is nice and tight before final arrow tuning process.

A good quality sight can take a beating. My Spot Hogg is one such sight. It’s built like a tank, heavier than others, and can be used as a baton when the world ends. But I do have confidence it will be durable and remain accurate.
Yea I thought MBG was supposed to be on the same level as a Spott Hog. Maybe I was wrong.

while you're checking stuff - check your peep sight. mine was sliding up and down a little bit last year and cost me 2 bulls.

I went multiple years, both elk hunts and spot and stalk deer hunts every year, without ever touching a screw on my Spot Hogg 5 pin.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
I went multiple years, both elk hunts and spot and stalk deer hunts every year, without ever touching a screw on my Spot Hogg 5 pin.
When I was an Eastern whitetail treestand hunter I always used a single pin slider, HHA to be specific. I guess out of habit, I decided I needed to stick with a slider. I'm now realizing that a fixed 5 pin is way less fuss and opportunity for problems then any kind of slider. I just feel like 5 pins is a little cluttered for what I'm use too.

Erict

WKR
Not sure if your "6" issue is at 20 yards or 100, but the minute my groups have any significant movement I know to stop and check everything over on the bow. Modern bows are amazing, but things can get loose, break, stretch and it's not always obvious. Peep, d-loop, nock point, string, cables, rest, release, etc. Change in weight from field tips to broadheads, change of broadheads?

Are you sure it's the bow and not you? Sling hundreds of arrows a week pre-season then go for longer stretches during season and form changes? Wearing different clothes or gloves causing torque?

Good luck - let us know what you find.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
Not sure if your "6" issue is at 20 yards or 100, but the minute my groups have any significant movement I know to stop and check everything over on the bow. Modern bows are amazing, but things can get loose, break, stretch and it's not always obvious. Peep, d-loop, nock point, string, cables, rest, release, etc. Change in weight from field tips to broadheads, change of broadheads?

Are you sure it's the bow and not you? Sling hundreds of arrows a week pre-season then go for longer stretches during season and form changes? Wearing different clothes or gloves causing torque?

Good luck - let us know what you find.
It was 6" at 45 yards which is where I do most of my shooting. I went over the whole bow and tightened. Next is the sharpie method.