Bowmars sentenced

Status
Not open for further replies.

S.Clancy

WKR
They plead out. I'm curious if the 3 year probation thing for Nebraska will mean that they will not be able to hunt in the rest of the US (as per the wildlife compact). I'm guessing part of the plea agreement was that they say the "“I conspired to violate the Lacey Act and I should have known better” quote in court. $625K in fines across all the people, that is ALOT of $$$$.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
From the story posted in the OP. I'm now locking the thread so we don't have a dumpster fire on our hands.

Josh and Sarah Bowmar, the bowhunting influencers who first landed in court in 2020, have received 3 years of probation along with tens of thousands of dollars in fines and restitution.

The two heard their sentence in the United States District Court of Nebraska today. According to a spokesperson for the court, the Bowmars lost their hunting privileges in the state during their probation. They will also jointly pay $13,000 in restitution and $25,000 each in fines. Their company, Bowmar Bowhunting, LLC, will also pay $25,000 in fines.

The sentence came after the most extensive poaching sting in the state’s history, which resulted in a slew of charges against multiple people.

Game officials originally leveled charges against the Ohio couple of hunting wild turkeys without a valid permit, illegally transporting game across state lines, illegal baiting of wildlife, and other crimes.

On Oct. 19, 2022, the Bowmars pled guilty to unlawfully, willfully, and knowingly conspiring with others to possess, transport, or sell wildlife in violation of the federal Lacey Act. They stated in court on behalf of themselves and their company, “I conspired to violate the Lacey Act and I should have known better.” The other charges were dropped.

Also in conjunction with the case, the co-owner and lead guide of the Bowmars’ Nebraska outfitter received a hefty sentence. Jacob Hueftle of Broken Bow, Nebraska’s Hidden Hills Outfitters received 30 months in federal prison, a 15-year ban from engaging in hunting/trapping and any other associated activities, and a $214,375 fine in 2020.

Prior to the Bowmars’ sentencing, the Nebraska Game and Parks Commission’s sting operation had resulted in over $625,000 in fines and 53 years of revoked hunting and fishing privileges. Ninety-seven animals were found taken illegally, as of Hueftle’s case.

Status
Not open for further replies.