Bowhunter shot in Colorado

def90

WKR
Be sure of your targets out there..

A bow hunter from Texas was shot by a muzzleloader guy from Pennsylvania in southern Colorado this past weekend. Not a lot of details but the guy is being charged with criminally negligent homicide.

Tx270WT

FNG
At the typical ranges these engagements happen, that doesn’t smell right. Will be curious how this plays out.

Rich M

WKR
Someone on another forum said the bowhunter may have had an elk decoy strapped to his bow.

Just in case more comes out. Always stuff we don't know about.

S.Clancy

WKR
My buddies kid (13 yr old) almost shot a guy in the face that was using one of those turkey decoys you hold in front of you. The guy came into their calling setup. The kid didn't shoot because he said it didn't act/walk like a turkey and then he saw the guys eyes behind/thru the slit. They were on FS property. Thank God he taught his son to truly identify your target...

Rich M

WKR
Some guys have been shot doing the turkey thing for sure. Very stupid doing that on public land.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I Have always had my Turkey decoys about 30 yards from me. I suppose it could still happen. I know on two occasions Mt. lions thought they were the real deal. I just don't understand why it's so important to get an elk that he didn't make a positive ID.

OP
D

def90

WKR
Another site stated that the muzzleloaders were calling and receiving responses. Muzzleloader guy saw a patch of white thinking it was an elk coming in and shot.

S.Clancy

WKR
Another site stated that the muzzleloaders were calling and receiving responses. Muzzleloader guy saw a patch of white thinking it was an elk coming in and shot.
How the heck do you know if it's a legal animal by a patch of white...This is exactly why I wear a bright green or red jacket and plenty of orange in rifle season.

Sherman

WKR
I have read almost every news article regarding this story I can find on the web, and about half of them state it took the recovery team 10 hours to locate the body. This seems a little fishy. It would seem that the shooter would know and lead the recovery team directly to the location. It did not say it took them 10 hours to get the victim out, but to find him. I’m curious to know the events after the shooting to the time the body was recovered. Either way, this is a heartbreaking story for everyone involved. My heart hurts for all parties involved. I can’t imagine being on either side of this story. Lord, bring peace these families.

Semorbux

FNG
I've never understood people that shoot without knowing exactly what they are shooting at. You can't take that bullet back once it leaves the barrel.

Gobbler36

WKR
Just read some articles on this and it’s tragic, really feel for the mans family that doesn’t get to return home especially when it’s 100% preventable.
I haven’t worn orange in the past as Idaho doesn’t require it but i will make sure from now on this guy didn’t die in vain and will make sure I have it on
Rest In Peace

PRC_GUY

WKR
I hope , the law will chance soon about Bow hunting and muzzleloader can’t hunt together at the same time and Must wear Orange Vest. Be safe this hunting season everyone.

Hornpout

FNG
I try to avoid the archery/muzzleloader overlap in Colorado when I can. It will make me think about throwing a orange cap in my pack in upcoming archery seasons for hiking around.

lak2004

WKR
This pisses me off every time it's brought up. Serious negligence and the dude should be charged harshly. No excuse, not one. If you can't identify your target, take up whack a mole or something.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sonoman

FNG
My son and I just got home from a Colorado muzzleloader hunt. While there we did have one guy {archery hunter} mention that he pulls out until the muzzleloader season is over, then returns for the last of the archery season. Knowing my son and myself at first I thought kinda strange since I know since I've been hunting for over 50 years and taught my son right that until you can definetly validate that which you are shooting at that you never even consider a shot. Then I see stuff like this, what a moron, no excuse for the loss of a fellow hunters life. This doesn't qualify as an accident, it happened because the shooter wasn't trained right and should have never been out there in the first place.

Muddygut

FNG
This is why I don't bowhunt during any big game gun season. Even though I mostly hunt private ground. Orange is required on bowhunters during these times in Kentucky, so I figure if I have to blaze up I might as well pick up a gun and do as the Romans do.